Resident Evil 6: They're Baaaaaack

Books, movies, television and everything else
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Resident Evil 6: They're Baaaaaack

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Fellow zombiephiles rejoice! The undead have returned to Resident Evil, albeit less Romero Zombie and more RotLD Zombie. These undead retain a modicum of intelligence and enough coordination to use firearms (!) and are joined by some pretty sick and twisted new foes that fit perfectly with the idea of pharmaceutical corporations trying to play God and unleashing Hell as a result.

Weapon upgrades (seen since Resident Evil 2) are out, skills are in. Yes, you earn skill points to buy various skills that increase damage, decrease damage taken, allow more accurate firing, and even martial arts. Hand-to-hand combat is now feasible and surprisingly effective. Not a big surprise, given how rare ammo is. Knives remain weak in and of themselves, but can be put to effective (and gory) use. Partners are back in three of the four scenarios, each with unique weapons to start out with. And yes, Sherry Birkin is back as an agent of the Dept. of Security Operations.

I won't go into the story too much (as I'm still playing through) but this much can be said. With Albert Wesker dead it was thought Umbrella itself was gone for good as well. Unfortunately a new group called Neo Umbrella has risen and unleashed new BOWs and a new Virus that puts the mutative properties of the G-Virus to shame: the C-Virus. Hit a baddie in the arm, legs, torso, or head, and they might just mutate a new one. Oh, and do be careful; civilians are caught up in the messes as well. The true horror of bioterrorism is driven home there.

Since the story is broken into four scenarios you may want to play them in chronological order: Jake, Chris, and Leon, and then Ada's campaign is unlocked, which technically comes first but isn't playable until the other three are completed. Infinite ammo for points is back once you finish the game, but are unlocked by class of weapons as opposed to each one individually as was the case in RE 5. Unlock infinite ammo for handguns and ALL handguns have infinite ammo (and those of us who played through RE 5 on Hard Mode and worked our hands to the bone in Mercenaries to unlock enough points to give all weapons IA, especially for the Alternate Scenarios, appreciate that).

The combat and maneuvering systems are familiar but also changed enough that it feels like an all new game. So limber up those thumbs and get ready. The evil is back.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Resident Evil 6: They're Baaaaaack

Post by Zilfer »

^Good review of the game would like to affirm that Jake is probably a good start. I'm glad I played his story first because it seems kinda like a "side story" yet still important. I have a feeling Chris is going to be a little more story side and Leon probably takes it home. If you liked number 5 then i'm sure you'll like this one.

Some are more to the classic horror and being under powered. This game would not be for you. Besides all that it's a fun game only difficulty I had was a "motorcyle" level. It appears they tried to be inventive thus far.... maybe i'll update this post once I complete Chris' and Leon's story.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Zilfer wrote:only difficulty I had was a "motorcyle" level. It appears they tried to be inventive thus far.... maybe i'll update this post once I complete Chris' and Leon's story.
Oh, yes. Jake's first half of Chapter Four. Prepare of a true test of reflexes.

Also be sure to play through each chapter with the partners. Not only is it worth extra Skill Points but it lets you find emblems you can't get as the main character (which unlock story and action figures in the Collections part of the Extra Content).
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

yeah i also saw i didn't have all the "cutscenes" open as one play through of a character so I figured you had to do that. >.> on chapter 2 of chris and then i'm giong for leon and i'm not sure how i feel about the unlock of ada wong.... i've never really known much of her and i've only played leon in this game but he's an iconic symbol i already know about so it's cool to play him already.

High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Unfortunately you have to play Ada's Campaign to get the Secret Ending, the full story on Neo-Umbrella, and the option to unlock Infinite Ammo for weapon groups at truly nosebleed prices (but that's sort of the point for something that powerful). She's also the only one that uses the crossbow and thus unlocks certain Skills. It's actually pretty interesting.

As for knowing a lot about Ada, some of her story is revealed in RE 4 when you play her campaign in that. What is known is that she's Chinese-American, a professional industrial spy who worked for Wesker during RE 2 and 4, and that's all I'm saying. More can be found in her campaign and the Umbrella Archives Vol. 1 (a book, not a game).

As a side note, this game verifies the theory I made about why some Virus victims turn into mutants and others zombies in the Gothic Journals. Primary Infection (direct injection) is what makes the BOWs. Secondary Infection (being attacked by a BOW, touching "hot" bodily fluids, or exposure to the aerosolized Virus) is what makes zombies.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Regardless, they infected I shoot them. :D

Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Been playing Resi 6 since day of release and still enjoying the game. However, it is worth pointing out that only J'avo mutate, zombies do not (with the exception of red-eyed zombies turning into Bloodshots if shot in the head). The skill system is also borrowed form Operation Raccoon City (less I say about that piece of trash, the better) but Resi 6 works better and have a favoured combo of Infinity Ammo on weapon of Choice, Breakout and Firearm (maxed out), never had a shortage of ammo in the game though and my aim is dismal when it comes to getting hits, lol. Personally I like shooting, running up and finishing them off with a special move.

The game also awards Medals (think Gears of War) and Emblem Titles. The latter level up (level 4 being the max) and whilst they do nothing else, some completists will be after all of them. I think the sneakiest medal I have encountered can only be earned on Mercenaries and needs you to slide in to a time boost thing, heh.

The website www.residentevil.net hosts events and playing the game awards you points on there to unlock things like extra characters and costumes for Mercenaries and the like (a couple of pretty good, like the alt Leon and Ada).

The only real gripe about the game is the overload on QTE which is not player friendly if you have bad hands like me, but the Breakout skill helps counteract that difficulty by making WTE easier. The game incorrectly also states that in Amateur difficulty all QTE are completed automatically.

Mercenaries plays better in this game than it did in 5 where you have to unlock extra characters through the site and you already have a host of maps (6 instead of 3 if you pre-ordered) available. Likewise, Agent Hunt is a new twist in letting you be a BOW in someone elses' game and try to kill them. The controls in Agent Hunt are a but rubbish, but it is still a nice feature and fun for a few minutes here and there.

There is a DLC out soon (details unknown as I type this). Also, there is a free game update coming which will have Ada's campaign unlocked from the start (WTH?!), co-op play throughout all of Ada's campaign (instead of at a few instances) and a better camera setting. Personally I would have liked to have seen these built in to the game and feel a little ripped off in having to work to play Ada's story when gamers coming in later will get to play it right away.

As for the 4 campaigns, each of them has a style to them.

Leon - Classic RE
Chris - 3rd person shooter
Jake - RE Nemesis styled chase/evasion game
Ada - Stealth and infiltration

These make the game less repetitive and offers more repeat playing. Also, some levels(Leon act 2 and Chris act 5) offer great chances to farm skill points with both offering upwards of 20,000 skill points a time if you are patient (Chris's can offer you this in less than 10 minutes! Leon's takes a little longer, but not much). And as for buying skills, some of them do not take as long to acquire as you might think when you get a partner in co-op play and farm for a little while.

With achievements, some of them are fun and tricky to work out (like the one with the helicopter, that took me ages to learn the trick to it) but are worth going for if you like your gamer score.

Having said all the good stuff, I do know some that have hated this game wit ha passion, in fact 1 guy played it for 20 minutes turned it off and sold it 2nd hand. Personally I think he failed to give the game time since the slow start to Leon's campaign (which he was playing) and that you have only finished the prelude and just ending the slow section at the start of Leon's act 1 at that point, but it's to help set the feel of the game. Then again he also hated Resi 4 and 5 and wishes they would return to fixed cam, so yeah, he's living in the past. However, others I know have also disliked the game, usually those that liked Resi 5, but 2 of them loved Resi 5 and hate this one so it is a bit of an acquired tastes (like Lollipop Chainsaw which I grew bored of very quickly but others seemed to love). Also, if you liked Operation Raccoon City, you will likely dislike this one which has been another popular trend among gamers, though I still cannot understand how people enjoyed that travesty of a game, lol.

In all, I would have marked this one 8 zombies out of 10 if not for all the QTE, but it does O.D. on it some, so 7 zombies out of 10 will have to do.
Swallow your soul!
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Honestly I haven't been giving this game as much attention as I should (what with replaying each mission as the partner and other distractions). As for the Bloodshots, those are kind of a throwback to the Crimson Heads of Resident Evil REMake, though back then if you shot a zombie in the head it wouldn't come back as a Crimson Head and killing it otherwise without burning the body would cause them to return as Crimson Heads. Different Virus so they're a different type of monster and a nightmare to anyone who's used to headshots being the quickest way to dispatch them.

Also I've been replaying several levels less for skill points (I don't really care for co-op or multiplayer, so The Mercenaries is going to be my main grind) and more to go back over what's said. There's a lot the Gothic Journals will need to incorporate as time goes on in a revelatory manner (Alex is going to be pissed when he learns that Sherry was held in a government lab and Claire knew but never told him, with good reasons as it turns out).
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I only just finished this game (WoW ate up a lot of time, enough that I've purged the desire to play, yet I'm also getting into the RPG now :?), all the campaigns on Amateur, no less than a Gold rating on the main and companion playthroughs, and have unlocked the Infinite Ammo skills at last. Sadly you need to use a skill slot to get it, so between Defense Lvl. 3 and Firearms Lvl. 3, I need to be sure what each character uses most often. But it does greatly free up inventory space since there's no need to carry any ammo for the chosen gun. Now I just need enough skill points to unlock IA on all the weapon types...but that can wait.

The story has more twists and turns than I thought, but it all comes together so well I can make a "fifth scenario" for the Journals utilizing mainly Tall Oaks and China (Edonia...not so much. I'm a zombie fan, and that place is all J'avo and mutations) and The Family. Or a few select members that, unfortunately, will not impact the larger organization when they end up victims of their own hubris by using the C-Virus to play God.
scottruss
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by scottruss »

i really like resident evil as always like the firearms absolutely fun
An pocket knives is a good weapon, but it can point both ways