Birthright Chapter Eight

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright Chapter Eight

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:Foerde, Auld Oak Kitchen

Foerde will eat his breakfast and discuss what ever work Brennan needs done around the inn.

Brennan asks Foerde to help repair a staircase and two doors.

The warrior- priest's strong hands almost prove as good with hammer, saw, and plane as folded in prayer or swinging a broadsword.

After the long day's work has ended and a cool, humid late springtime evening falls over the countryside, Brennan invites Foerde to sit in the common room with the other guests for games of tiles or chess, stories, and of course drinking and eating.

"I know you are anxious to find this Elf-Killer. Maybe one of the travelers will have heard some news?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"Yes and the longer it takes to find this man the harder it will be to return Gael." Foerde says. "Perhaps, I'll ask around. You should too, just in case the traveler's don't like me." He says.

Foerde will finish his food and his drink before he starts moving about the inn and asking about this Elf-killer. He will describe the face he saw in his vision hoping that will help jog some memories.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:"Yes and the longer it takes to find this man the harder it will be to return Gael." Foerde says. "Perhaps, I'll ask around. You should too, just in case the traveler's don't like me." He says.

Foerde will finish his food and his drink before he starts moving about the inn and asking about this Elf-killer. He will describe the face he saw in his vision hoping that will help jog some memories.

EVENING AT THE AULD OAK

Foerde speaks with several travelers. Some of them regard the ‘Cat-Man of Elevesnemiere’ with a mix of horror and contempt, others with wonder and confusion. No one seems to recognize Foerde’s description of the stranger he seeks.

No one, that is, until Foerde speaks with a slouching, scraggly-bearded looking man who plays with his dagger when he converses. This man nods his head at Foerde’s description of the Elf Killer.
The man drops his voice so that no other guests will hear him.
“ I know the man. I know where to find him, too. Gimme five silver pieces and I’ll help you out.”
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Well, as the others are trying to get the wizard of Endier to help us I can try to gather information and make sure to find how these women are taken, from where and how we can stop that. I'm sure Captain Rennault's and Sir Roald's help will be really useful."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

HAES

Renn nods in agreement with Filbert. "I have some skill in gathering information, both from my time was a warden in Ghonallison and as the Watchmaster. The goings might be a little slower in Lofton, as I've fewer contacts there than in Haes."

He looks to Roald. "Perhaps I should call on Count Montros before we depart. He has informants across the river, as I understand it. Any intelligence he can give would be most useful."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

HAES

Roald nods. "A good thought, Captain. While you do that, I'll touch base with the money lender, Atili. He's got friends in low places over on the other side of the river and he and I have had a...productive relationship."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

CORMAC AND THE BIRD

"Aye, well, we've got some climbin' to do, I'd wager."

Cormac will take his time and climb as carefully as possible, taking whatever members of the band feel they can make the climb safely.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CORMAC-
Adam wrote:CORMAC AND THE BIRD

"Aye, well, we've got some climbin' to do, I'd wager."

Cormac will take his time and climb as carefully as possible, taking whatever members of the band feel they can make the climb safely.

Both poachers and Dietric feel confident, so the whole little party attempts the climb.

The rocky spire proves more eroded and roughened upon close examination than it had appeared at a distance, especially so along the western face. Hardy vines and even small shrubs cling to the lower portions, near the treetops.
Cormac leads his band on the long upward climb, taking his time to locate the best holds.

Despite the frigid, whipping wind and the occasional crumbling spots of frost-wracked stone, Cormac and his bold men reach the top in good time; the sun has climbed on the other side of the spike to shine down from the pinnacle, like a firebird perched on the high crag.

One more pull, a short scramble up a narrow ledge, and Cormac finds himself standing in the mouth of the cave, which is broad and high enough to admit two men at a time if they stand close and crouch a bit. Deep shadow fills the gap; his eyes adjust to discern a shallow chamber with a pit piercing the center of the uneven floor. If there is a strong scent here, the wind blows it away. Faint wailing emanates from the cave, possibly coming from that pit; but the noise might only be an acoustical freak.

Dietric and the other two men clamber up to join Cormac on the ledge.

Hugging the rock wall, his face glistening with sweat, panting a little to catch his breath, Dietric peeks into the cave mouth and then turns his head toward Cormac. He raises his eyebrows and inclines his head towards the opening.

Cormac notices something moving on the rock face to his left; the elongated shadow of a man. He has only a moment to puzzle over the strange shadow when, in a burst of flapping wings and the bloodcurdling wail of a wounded stag, a winged fiend falls upon him from above the mysterious shadow! The monster resembles a gigantic eagle, but its head is that of a rabid, slobbering stag with human eyes and blood-stained antlers. The horrid monster screams in fury, goring Cormac; the force of the attack throws him back into the cave mouth.

Cormac's friends try to fight the thing, hurling rocks, batting at it with their weapons, screaming curses as if those would help. The monster ignores them, diving into the cave, seeking the druid!

Cormac fires arrows after arrow as the beast clumsily chases him about the cave, nearly sending him tumbling into the pit. His friends manage to push it back out just long enough for him to heal his wounds and conjure a swarm of wasps.

The monster, harassed by the flying insects, circles outside the cave, screaming loud enough to shake the stones. It flies away, loops up and back, and comes streaking towards the open cave mouth with its bloody anthers aimed straight at Cormac, who draws the last of his arrows and fires!

The arrow takes the monster in the breast just below the neck. It tumbles onto the narrow ledge outside the cave mouth amid a spray of blood and feathers. It scrabbles towards Cormac, eyes blazing with hate, and then slips backwards over the ledge with a final, prolonged shriek.

A weak voice calls from the depths of the pit, "Hello?"

Cormac and his men have rescued a woman and two small children, the captives of the 'evil bird.'

They also discover some treasure among the refuse and old bones in the cave!
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue May 07, 2013 3:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote:
RocEter wrote:"Yes and the longer it takes to find this man the harder it will be to return Gael." Foerde says. "Perhaps, I'll ask around. You should too, just in case the traveler's don't like me." He says.

EVENING AT THE AULD OAK

Foerde speaks with several travelers. Some of them regard the ‘Cat-Man of Elevesnemiere’ with a mix of horror and contempt, others with wonder and confusion. No one seems to recognize Foerde’s description of the stranger he seeks.

No one, that is, until Foerde speaks with a slouching, scraggly-bearded looking man who plays with his dagger when he converses. This man nods his head at Foerde’s description of the Elf Killer.
The man drops his voice so that no other guests will hear him.
“ I know the man. I know where to find him, too. Gimme five silver pieces and I’ll help you out.”
Foerde pulls out the chair and takes a seat next to the man. He pulls out five silver pieces and places them in front of him on the table in a neat stack. "Tell me what you know and these coins will be yours." Foerde says.

He covers the coins with one of his hands..
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

FOERDE

''You seem to be describing a sell-sword called Roald. I've seen him up close several times. He works for the Duke in Haes. Roald is a real killer, and a tricky bastard too. Shouldn't be hard to find, just go to Haes and ask after him. He's been building up his name. He was training some cutthroats and gallows bait to be proper soldiers, last I heard.''

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Picking up the stack of coins, he moves them over towards the man. "Thanks, that's a good deal of help." He says setting the coins down in front of the man.

Standing Foerde moves to the bar and sits in an empty stool. "I'll have another drink, Brennan. I know where I need to go next, can you have your boy saddle my horse?" He says.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:Picking up the stack of coins, he moves them over towards the man. "Thanks, that's a good deal of help." He says setting the coins down in front of the man.

Standing Foerde moves to the bar and sits in an empty stool. "I'll have another drink, Brennan. I know where I need to go next, can you have your boy saddle my horse?" He says.

"Sure, no problem."

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

He offers Brennan a smile, something he hasn't done since this mess began. "I'll be going to Haes, apparently the Elf-killer is sellsword by the name of Roald." Foerde says. "I don't like sellswords. Apparently he works for the Duke, before I left for home I heard that the Duke wanted to meet the heroes from the Battle of the Broken Bell." He says.

"Ha! Either way this should be interesting." He says.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

END OF CHAPTER EIGHT