The Galen Saga - The Song of the Taverners

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

The Galen Saga - The Song of the Taverners

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hi all,

Just wondering, and there I might need the need of the oldschoolers among us... :)

...The Galen Saga began with a quote from a "song of the taverners". What was that song?

Thanks a lot,

Rafe
Le Noir Faineant

Re: The Galen Saga - The Song of the Taverners

*BUMP* :)
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I believe its the song which is at end of the story netbook? http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/TheV ... aTome1.doc

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Le Noir Faineant

Yeah, exactly - that's the one. That's an awesome find, Joel! :) Thank you! :)
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

It's like magic. Every time I check the forums after an absence, something I was only just thinking about has been mentioned...

Best roleplay experience of my life.

Poor, dumb Drinnik.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Le Noir Faineant

The Galen Saga was what inspired me to run my own PBPs.

I only lurked back then, or had recently registered.

Did that girl, the one who started the game, really die, or just quit posting?
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Wow, it's been a while. Yes, Marie died in october 2001 of a cancer that took her in about six months.

And I don't remember she started the game, IIRC there were many players onboard at the start, and she wasn't a "DM" in the story. But others might contradict me on that, I wasn't a player on that story until the very end, for its end. I'm not a good pbp player (I usually kill threads :( ).

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

I think it was Marie's character who discovered Galen, although I'm certainly not sure at this point.

I still think of her every time I hear this; the album came out a few months before she died and the last time I heard from her she mentioned it.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I think it went like this:

*Evee heard a knock at the door.

*Brom opened it and found the baby.

*Trebor suggested going to the Carnival.

It was so free form and unstructured, especially at the beginning, that it's quite difficult to piece together everything.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:I think it went like this:

*Evee heard a knock at the door.

*Brom opened it and found the baby.

*Trebor suggested going to the Carnival.

It was so free form and unstructured, especially at the beginning, that it's quite difficult to piece together everything.
Whoa, thread necromancy! :azalin:

Yep, that sounds about right. But the free-form thing was what made it so much fun. It allowed for rotating de-facto DMs to just step up and introduce a "bad guy" with plans to corrupt or control Galen, and it took us to the Carnival, Darkon, Richemulot, Kartakass, Lamordia (a little-known village called "Verlorenshaus", which is tough to spell and tougher to locate on a map :adam: :wink: ) and half a dozen other lands.

Looking back, it's amazing how well it worked being as unstructured as it was. I still remember one situation where the group had managed something fairly impressive (though the details escape me), and it prompted one of the NPCs to observe that we -- the Taverners -- must have known each other for years to work so well together. And Trebor responded with something like "No, we just met last night... but we're REALLY good at improvising." :D

Back then, I think many of us were swept up in the "darkness" of the Mists -- you know, playing haunted or corrupted characters with difficult pasts and lots of scars (I know Castor Ravenwood was like that). Evee really stood out as a character because unlike most of the rest of the group, she was determined to bring some light to the darkness -- even if it was just a kind word, a clap on the shoulder, or a silly joke between characters. The tragedies she'd been through -- losing her parents, taking care of her brother -- were as horrible as anything the rest of the characters had gone through, but Evee was determined not to let it bring her down. I think in that way, she was just as influential to the group as the "DM-of-the-week".

While the campaign was going on, Marie and I corresponded via email and PM a few dozen times. I won't say that I knew her well (circumstances being what they were, sadly, I didn't get the chance), but I certainly got the impression that she and Evee had more than a little in common.
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
Le Noir Faineant

Ah good necro, at a good time. Somebody, please PM me Evee's real name, if possible.

You might know that I have gained some notoriety for my own, long-running PBP in Blackmoor,
and that I am now compiling as much as three netbooks based on it, with one already since 2009.

Since the Galen Saga was my direct inspiration to start a game on my own, I had meant to write her a little dedication in the book, or something.
- Which might be sweet for her family to know,that even more than ten years after her death, people like me still think of her.
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

Definitely some good memories: my first online role-playing experience (I think I put a little too much fantasy ego into it, deciding to play a pure-goodness-and-light angelic archmage, but I think I've somewhat matured since then...)
Le Noir Faineant wrote:Ah good necro, at a good time. Somebody, please PM me Evee's real name, if possible.
The Book of Sacrifices on the Kargatane site was dedicated to her and has her real name. Requisat in pacem, Evee.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]