New to Ravenloft? Or new to our forum? introduce yourself!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: New to the Forum? introduce yourself here!

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Scipio wrote:-Wanders in from a nearby fog bank- Oh, hey guys. Got lost for a couple years there. Life, it can be a pain, huh? But I'm back, hopefully semi-regularly. Who here remembers me? :P
I do! Welcome back! (no one ever escapes forever...)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Chaot »

Hello everyone.

Sorta new to Ravenloft and I've been using the FoS site for the wealth of information that it has. Oddly, I hadn't realized that these boards were still active. Here I am to make introductions.

I was exposed to Ravenloft back in my AD&D days but didn't really connect with it. It wasn't until much later that I gave it a serious look. I don't know if he has a presence over here, but it was a fellow who goes by the handle of Armchair Gamer at RPGNet who I blame for my current RL obsession. I now run a game of RL using the BRP system and am having a blast with it. Much of what I've done is contained with two threads over on RPGNet.

In short, I am looking forward to RL discussions here and I'll see you around the boards.
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

Glad to see you over here, Chaot!

Matthew "Armchair Gamer" Martin
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Chaot »

Excellent to see you good sir. I, of course, blame all of this on you. :D
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Welcome, Chaot! Maybe we'll have to publicize the forums better somehow. Good to have you here. thanks for roping him in, MLM. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Chaot »

Howdy, and thanks!

While advertising is always a good thing, I'm not sure my lack of knowledge of the forum here isn't rather due to a critical lack of perception on my part. :D
Satyrwyld
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Satyrwyld »

Hi there! New to the forum, but been a fan of Ravenloft since it came out. My local gaming friends hold the setting in contempt ("What's the point of a setting that has monsters you can't kill?") and I found the forums while searching for an online game. I'm conversant with all editions, and I'll settle for anything (even good old Basic!) if it gets me my Ravenloft fix.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

welcome Satyrwyld. A shame about your friends, but we're here for you. :) Next time ask them how many of them have killed the Tarrasque?
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Chaot »

Satyrwyld wrote:My local gaming friends hold the setting in contempt
They're obviously changelings or mad cultists. Keep an eye on them.
Satyrwyld
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Satyrwyld »

Chaot wrote:
Satyrwyld wrote:My local gaming friends hold the setting in contempt
They're obviously changelings or mad cultists. Keep an eye on them.
Nah, not cultists, they hate Call of Cthulhu too. For much the same reason.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:welcome Satyrwyld. A shame about your friends, but we're here for you. :) Next time ask them how many of them have killed the Tarrasque?
Considering I keep getting roped into the GM seat, and I have issues with crowdsourced uberbuilds, I can comfortably say none of them.

So I'm poking around, but I'm not seeing a section to solicit online gaming. Is there such a beast?
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Chaot »

It looks like you want to check out Café de Nuit at the bottom of the forum under Roleplaying Boards. But I'm not sure if people just post there or also recruit there.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Chaot wrote:It looks like you want to check out Café de Nuit at the bottom of the forum under Roleplaying Boards. But I'm not sure if people just post there or also recruit there.
That's correct. What you're looking for there is this thread:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=7&t=8140
Satyrwyld
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Satyrwyld »

Thank you most graciously. I have no idea why I did not expect there to be a recruitment thread there.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Welcome! :D may the fraternity of the onyx urroburos be blessed by your presence that you never leave.....
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Satyrwyld wrote:My local gaming friends hold the setting in contempt ("What's the point of a setting that has monsters you can't kill?")
To be fair, Ravenloft is probably one of the more challenging campaign settings to run, for a GM. Most of the usual GM mistakes (railroading, "me vs. them" mentality, Mary Sue characters) are bad enough in Greyhawk or a generic setting, but they can get really obnoxiously bad in Ravenloft, where much of the setting's flavor derives from having the deck stacked against the PCs in the first place.

Hopefully, this site will give you enough tips and tricks so you'll be able to change their minds. In the hands of a good GM and with players who happily buy into the central mood of the setting, it can be a frightfully fun campaign setting...!