Breaking news on the future of Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Breaking news on the future of Ravenloft

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Well, here we go again, everyone. A lot of us remember when Hasbro bought Wizards of the Coast. Some were around when Wizards bought TSR before that, and an ancient few of us even remember when Tactical Studies Rules became TSR Hobbies in the first place. And now, the latest acquisition to rock the D&D world was announced today: The Walt Disney Company is purchasing Hasbro Inc.

The news hit the business and finance sites late last night and is only now trickling down to the gaming news outlets, so you might not have heard yet, but it's official. The House of Mouse and the House of Strahd are under one corporate roof.

We are definitely excited that an entertainment company with deep pockets and the highest recognized potential for quality is buying D&D. It really means that finally our hobby can get all the attention it deserves in the general public!

And for Ravenloft? We know that some of you might be concerned with what this might mean for our beloved game, and most importantly, our beloved setting. Of course, D&D is but a small part of Hasbro's vast toy and game empire, and Ravenloft is only a small, oft-neglected part of D&D. So, will cute, kid-friendly felt vampires and werewolves roam the Disney parks? Will the next edition of Ravenloft include Maleficent, Jafar, and Shere Kahn as darklords? Will Tatyana join the Princess line-up? Will the Unseelie Court become the new foes for the Faeries of Pixie Hollow? Or will Ravenloft be ignored entirely while they exploit IP like My Little Pony, Magic: The Gathering, and Transformers instead?

Well, we here at the FoS have actually known about this for a few months now, and were alerted in the best possible way when we found this in our email inboxes:
VIEW CONTENT:
What could that mean for their plans, we wonder excitedly? :D

We were sworn to secrecy until the news became public, so imagine how hard it was for us to hold our tongues in this thread. :!: As we've been in the know for a while, we have learned that there is big support for D&D at Disney: CEO Bob Iger is actually a big Roleplaying fan. And we hear that J.J. Abrams is keen to take on a D&D-related project once he's done reinventing Star Wars. So we are cautiously confident that Ravenloft is in good hands.

(We know that a few of you out there may also be aware of more secret details of this business transaction, so please, everyone, remember your non-disclosure agreements, and be careful what you reveal here!)

And for any who still fear this change, look at it this way: D&D, Star Wars, The Muppets, and Marvel Comics are now owned by the same company. (So, pretty much everything good about the 70's and 80's) (The same company also owns Dancing with the Stars and The Bachelor, but why quibble?) And, besides, who wouldn't want to see Captain Jack Sparrow to face down Captain Pieter Van Riese in the next movie?

In honor of our new dark masters, we've changed the main page's colors and punched up most of our forum themes with highlights of Princess-pink. Enjoy! (If it's not showing up for you, hit "refresh" in your browser)

Remember this date, everyone, and be sure you can tell everyone in the future that you were here to witness this momentous occasion! Rest assured that the Fraternity of Shadows will remain Ravenloft's biggest supporters, even in this "Whole New World." It's a small demiplane after all....

Ron, for the FoS

"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Breaking news on the future of Ravenloft

Post by Zilfer »

:shock: I like the new colors. My question is.....

Is Ursula going to be a Hag or a Witch when the stats come out for her? :twisted:

Somehow I think Toben fits in some way into this. But more importantly!!!!

:idea: Are the Weathermay's going to be part of the Disney Princesses? I'm afraid the Princesses are in need of a twin duo.... don't know why they didn't think of that sooner!

Scrooge McDuck is going to love searching for lost treasure. Anyone think he might be stated similar to Van Richten but with more survival/delving skills.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Does that mean there's a chance for a DARTH VADER appearance since they are owned by the same company?
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Any news is good news. And the place needed a little brightening up!
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Zilfer wrote: :idea: Are the Weathermay's going to be part of the Disney Princesses? I'm afraid the Princesses are in need of a twin duo.... don't know why they didn't think of that sooner!
Well, they've done something close just recently, with Frozen. Not twins, but sisters close in age. So they might want to wait on that one for a bit.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

And check the sneak peak on the new evil fairies of the Unseelie Court!
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Black Knight
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Black Knight »

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Currently working on a fairy-tale investigation horror - Big, Bad Hunters. Click the link for a free copy.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Going to be a lot of strange half animal people coming out of Markovia soon.
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Given the Mouse's madcap method of mixing and matching new properties, we might also consider inclusion of our favorite (or most hated) HASBRO properties as well. I personally think Pinkie Pie would make a GREAT darklord. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHy3ZhY9VKs

Also, does this mean we'll get to see 'Once Upon a Time in Ravenloft'? :D Huh? Huh? :D :D
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I love it.

Especially the Disney twin princesses and Scrooge fighting with ancient Dead... for treasure.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

How can we advocate a corporation that allows true love and happiness to overcome the bad guys? Where the 'good guys' pretty much win 99% of the time instead of the more typical romp through the Misty Realms?
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
devilfox
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by devilfox »

Look, aren't we all neglecting the most important/terrifying thing of all?

Maligno meets Buzz and Woody!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Happy April Fools' Day, guys! Thanks for playing along, everyone! I've put everything back to normal. If you still see that obnoxious pink anyway, refresh your browser. If it's still there, contact me or a doctor.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Dr. Ron, my browser still shows Alice's Wonderland in one of the thread titles.

I have already performed the thrice blessed oblations to the God of Biometric Surveillance but it's still there.

Watching me. Constantly. With crazed but gentle eyes.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

And you learn something new about phpbb every once in a while. Today's gleanings: Threads take their title from the subject field of the 1st post in the thread (this was known), BUT if there are multiple posts with the same timestamp as the 1st post, it may take the title from the 2nd one. weird. fixed now. Thanks HMB.
Joël of the FoS

Yes, I learned that too, when I made the change :)

Good job, Ron, with the announcement, Azalin's new hat, and the board colour!