5e announced!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: 5e announced!

Post by alhoon »

DMG + 2 accessories then. A good deal for 50$ after all.
I believe the basic would be like 70-90 pages.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

For those with the MManual, what CR is the nightshades? Nightwing, Nightwalker, Nightcrawler?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:For those with the MManual, what CR is the nightshades? Nightwing, Nightwalker, Nightcrawler?
Don't exist yet.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

:shock:
But they're very iconic monsters... if anything, they should have been in the free monsters book too.
My DMGuild work!
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

alhoon wrote::shock:
But they're very iconic monsters... if anything, they should have been in the free monsters book too.
I'm sure they'll show up in one of the many bazillions of monster books that are likely to be made.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:For those with the MManual, what CR is the nightshades? Nightwing, Nightwalker, Nightcrawler?
Who, these guys?
ImageImage

;)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS

The Monster Manual is pretty darn comprehensive. Arguably better than the 1e, 3e, and 4e MMs. And potentially the equal of the Monstrous Manual.
But it can't fit everything. There's a good dozen classic monsters that just didn't make the cut. Even with the expanded size.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Funny, I never thought of them as being very iconic. I think the first time I actually saw the Nightwalker was in the 3E MM; I don't even recall them before that. They certainly (99%) weren't in the base 2E MM, although they may have been in a supplemental one.

And I'm not sure that the Nightshade or the Nightcrawler were in the base 3E MM; I seem to recall they were added in a later volume (though I could be mistaken). I'm at work right now, otherwise I'd check.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mortavius wrote: And I'm not sure that the Nightshade or the Nightcrawler were in the base 3E MM; I seem to recall they were added in a later volume (though I could be mistaken). I'm at work right now, otherwise I'd check.
I saw them in the oD&D (Mentzer's) and they were in the default 3E MM.
My DMGuild work!
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

alhoon wrote: I saw them in the oD&D (Mentzer's) and they were in the default 3E MM.
Upon getting home and looking, you are correct they are in there.

I don't really think of them, because I so rarely use them. They are all high-powered creatures, which means I don't use them much because all of my Ravenloft games have been lower levels. And I don't find them compelling. They're basically just giant shadow monsters with a few unique abilities, that while unique, don't really stand out as memorable in my mind. Finally, they're most often extraplanar creatures, so that just adds to why I never used them.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I have used them 2-3 times that I remember. I like them though.

But keep in mind that with D&D next and "bounded accuracy", a great deal of high class monsters could be defeated by a larger group of lower level characters and that NPCs have been bumped up. Knights and veterans, though not common are not unheard of.
A party of 6th lvl along with 1 knight, 1 veteran, 1 priest and 2-3 "thugs" (with better armor) can probably defeat a cloud giant.
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Anyone had the chance to check the Eye and Hand of Vecna here:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/extra-life

Attaching either turns you to neutral evil. :?
Using the eye of vecna's spells has a 5% to lead to your char's death at the hands of Vecna... and then, he takes control of your body :?
If you have the eye and the hand attached, you touch someone with a skeleton and he/she/it must make a DC 18 save or the victim's bones are turned to jelly dropping him/her/it to 0 hp.

I can't see myself using these artifacts in my game... too powerful. Although a Vecna-avatar would be cool.
My DMGuild work!
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

All DMG previews including table of contents: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/ex ... g-previews
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Sorti wrote:All DMG previews including table of contents: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/ex ... g-previews
Yeap! DMG table of contents is out! Along with explosives.
Explosives and firearms are... straightforward. More or less what we knew from Ravenloft.

On the table of contents:
I hate to say it... but it's not all inclusive! Do you see "explosives and alien technology" at page 268? Nope, it's ... creating a monster. And before the firearms, we get rest variant rules. :? PS. the firearms are not for monsters, they're for PCs.

Anyway Judging from the admittedly table of some-contents, that doesn't include everything:
- Lots of help to the budding DM
- About 90 pages on magic items
- About 25 pages on planes. 1 page about "other" planes. Probably the Far realm. No mention of the shadowfell! Which is probably an omission since we know it's in.
- Barely any mention of mass combat (there are siege equipment rules)
- No mention for running a fief. Although a couple of pages about it could be in other places.
- No Skill challenge rules :( :x (At least we get something like a skill challenge with alien technology)

More or less, the DMG seems to be a tool for the DM to make his own rules more than providing those rules. I.e there are rules for unusual environments and rules for outdoors environment. I believe you can use those to play in desert/arctic/jungle or even underwater. But if you want a desert campaign, you'd better served by making your own rules.
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS

Firearms were among the previews:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment ... 1414184511
http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment ... 1414184533

And here's the Table of Contents:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment ... 1414184488