PCs getting ability scores

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

A DM I know uses the following method, this method really is down to luck, since you can get some very weak characters, depending on your rolls:

Roll 3d6 (4d6 for 1 prime requisite, drop the lowest).

Apply the abilities wherever you please, except the prime requisite score must go on a prime requisite; (should you have more than one you must decide on which the requisite score is applied).

Re-roll any score lower than 7, though you may do this only once per ability score and MUST keep the second roll (even if it is lower).

If you roll a total of 3 for an ability (even as a re-roll), you may re-roll it as many time as you like until you get something higher than a 3.
Swallow your soul!
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Wow, that certainly is a luck based design.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

You know, with a small group thats probably the best bet. Nice and fast and simple.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Snake wrote:You know, with a small group thats probably the best bet. Nice and fast and simple.
The guy that used that system was DM'ing a group of 11 people ;)

The group split into 2 since we were both good and bad mixed together with highly conflicting plans and opinions, so we alternated every 30 minutes wit hthe DM. While he was DM'ing the other gruop we would get our heads down and plan what we would do next.
Swallow your soul!
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

I'm surprised you could talk with 11 people liek that. unless you did each person separetly. Oh, and whoever DMed 11 people is going straight to Heaven for having to put up with that many people.
Van Owen
Conspirator
Conspirator

My System....

Post by Van Owen »

I hand the players 90 pts to distribute as they may. This system was originally one I used in 2nd Ed, and creates more powerful characters in 3rd, but I run small parties, (typically 3 players) and always roll stats for the monsters, distribute them as I would do for PCs and give them feats I feel are appropriate, so it balances out. That said, my players know better to munckinize too much.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Snake wrote:I'm surprised you could talk with 11 people liek that. unless you did each person separetly. Oh, and whoever DMed 11 people is going straight to Heaven for having to put up with that many people.
Heh, an old group of mine had 13 players at one point, but after a few months it whittled itself back down to 9 ;) As the group was so large, I had a co-DM lend me a hand with the running of the game to speed things up, otherwise it would take hours just to answer the questions the group would cmoe up with and very little play would take place.
Swallow your soul!
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

I just can't picture 13 people actually accomplishing anything in a DnD game.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I've done it. not a pretty picture. I think it was around 11 or 12 PC's and me DMing, going through NotwD. They didn't even make it to town. Bad Idea. With an assistant, maybe.

(I was in high school, and some of my friends asked me to DM, so I agreed, but then word got around and friends of friends showed up. And some friends of friends of friends, most of whom had never played before.)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Sounds like a nightmare in itself.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Having 13 people in the group slowed things down alot, even with a co-DM. Never DM that many people at once, I know I never will again, I limit myself to 8 or 9 people these days (if I can find anther group to DM that are somewhat reliable for showing up).
Swallow your soul!
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Man, I don't like a group bigger than 4 or 5.