Meeting firearms the first time and learning how to use them

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Meeting firearms the first time and learning how to use them

Post by Joël of the FoS »

IMC, the PCs were attacked with firearms for the first time ever. They never saw these before or even knew it was possible (the players were surprised too).

Using firearm is surely a bit tricky if you are more medieval and know nothing about it - ammunition, aiming, firing, misfiring. How do you handle such a weapon without hurting yourself?

They will likely try to use them, but that doesn't worry me. They are in an island of terror, and when back, they will have limited ammunition and nowhere to buy them.

My question: what kind of mechanics do you suggest for trying to handle and use them (ammunition, how to handle it and how to fire) if the PCs try to learn using them, without any other help?

And when they will know how to handle them, for aiming and firing, Ultimate Combat decribes the firearm proficiency.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
ScS of the Fraternity

Re: Meeting firearms the first time and learning how to use

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

I think that there was a kind of learning matrix included in the D&D 5th edition Dungeon Master's Handbook.
There was also the classic future-tech learning tables in the adventure Expedition to Barrier Peak.

Other than those, you could use a series of Int checks, modified as the group experiments and learns for results. On a check that fails by 5 or more points, the player shoots themselves (or one of their party). On a failure of 10 or more the black powder explodes, dealing 2D6 damage, or more if there was a powder horn in close proximity. Start the learning process with a DC 35, and give a cumulative +1 modifier for for every failure, +2 for every success, and a +4 for every catastrophic failure.
Evil Reigns!!!!
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

I would suspect that despite the few number of steps needed to properly load and use a firearm being fairly easy to learn, if nobody is teaching you, it isn't something you can pick and figure out automatically on your own. It requires some modicum of training to properly use. If you overload the gunpowder it can cause blockages, misfires, even explode in the wielder's hands. If you don't properly tamp the powder with a ramrod, the shot fired may not fire or only travel a short distance. There are many precise steps that must be taken. While one wouldn't necessarily be expert in wielding a sword properly, anyone could pick up a sword and generally figure out how it works - stick the pointy end in your opponent. A gun is not so obvious, especially not flintlock or similar technology. A modern gun is more obvious and easily learned.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Little things like spilling some black powder on their clothes if they are in a hurry and the flare from firing catching them on fire a bit (or taking off hair). Also an old west thing was not letting a loaded gun 'sit out' for too long (usually with the temperature changes overnight) as the powder absorbs moisture and renders it useless. Many times a cowboy would discharge their cap and ball revolver at night and reload in the morning just to ensure the condensation didn't screw them over. And those weapons are a couple hundred years more advanced than even the best ones of the Misty Realm. Remember, if they ram it home too much that ranged weapon just became a hand held bomb...
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Joël of the FoS

Interesting advices, thank you all.

For the firearms, it si more modern. They are in Russia 1917, with bullets and bullet cartridges.

So as long as someome shows them, they will learn quickly. But without help, that can be deadly (and deadly funny) :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Interesting advices, thank you all.

For the firearms, it si more modern. They are in Russia 1917, with bullets and bullet cartridges.

So as long as someome shows them, they will learn quickly. But without help, that can be deadly (and deadly funny) :)
Bolt action rifles? I know Mausers have stripper clips, but cannot remember what the Mosin–Nagants have beyond a potentially simple shoot-load-shoot-load system. Even heavier machine guns (while tempting as all hell) are difficult to manage and maintain. Revolvers would be the easiest to use and understand, don't jam (may not fire, but that's rare), and require the least maintenance of all the weapons listed here. I know semiautomatic pistols, submachine guns, and more reliable heavy machine guns (like the Browning M2HB) existed, but were pretty rare in Russia at the time.

I would be more worried about them getting hands on chemical weapons (granted the majority were artillery based), grenades, and radios.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Joël of the FoS

Dark Angel wrote:

Bolt action rifles? I know Mausers have stripper clips, but cannot remember what the Mosin–Nagants have beyond a potentially simple shoot-load-shoot-load system. Even heavier machine guns (while tempting as all hell) are difficult to manage and maintain. Revolvers would be the easiest to use and understand, don't jam (may not fire, but that's rare), and require the least maintenance of all the weapons listed here. I know semiautomatic pistols, submachine guns, and more reliable heavy machine guns (like the Browning M2HB) existed, but were pretty rare in Russia at the time.

I would be more worried about them getting hands on chemical weapons (granted the majority were artillery based), grenades, and radios.
Ah good to see you know your stuff :) Yes all of them have stripper clips. Yes, there are also some machine guns :)

In this PF adventure, there is this fun image of a medieval caracter using a machine gun for the first time, with glee :)

And to understand why they are there, you'll have to read my journal :)
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Joel, I will see what I can do :D

Will they be able to figure it out when they have to pee into the water reservoir after that dries out on that machine gun, but before the barrel warps? Probably not!
order99
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by order99 »

Well if you're using WWI guntech, all the PC's need is about ten minutes of instruction and another twenty at a firing range, and the PCs should now be as well-trained as your average Russian peasant militiaman. :mrgreen: If not, it will be triall and error, but at least the cartridge ammo isn't as finicky as a powderhorn and wadding...

Are you using Weapon Proficiency penalties?
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not Yet".
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Modern firearms are easier and safer.
That's not to say some dummy won't shoot his buddy in the foot, or try to load an improper cartridge into a pistol or rifle.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)