Dragon

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Azalin Rex
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Dragon

Post by Azalin Rex »

Who can give list of all canon and uncannon dragons of Ravenloft (with the link to book).
A child forever carried by his father never learns to walk, my little servant. Competence cannot be bequeathed.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Dragon

Post by alhoon »

Well, there's the dragon in the Darksun domain
There's Ebb, Azalin's dragon
There's Ebb's boyfriend
There's Ebb's children
There's also the dragon in the "knight of the black rose" in Strahd's castle
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

About Ebb's children: If they're hit by the aging powers of a ghost, would they suddenly become more powerful?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

There's a tarnished copper dragon in the Forgotten Children netbook.

There's the one in Nidala which doesn't actually exist.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

The is an illusionary one in the Castle Spulzeer domain (Agarath?).

I thought I heard someone mention a silver dragon in the Shadowlands supplement. Cannot recall 100%.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

alhoon wrote:About Ebb's children: If they're hit by the aging powers of a ghost, would they suddenly become more powerful?
It worked Lyssa von Zarovich didn't it?

(Granted I've heard that it might have been changed to just spending a lot of time in the Shadow Rift so quite honestly I'm not sure if it did actually work for Lyssa von Zarovich at the moment....)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Aging working on a vampire was IMO the worst idea in that adventure...
My DMGuild work!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

jamesfirecat wrote:
alhoon wrote:About Ebb's children: If they're hit by the aging powers of a ghost, would they suddenly become more powerful?
It worked Lyssa von Zarovich didn't it?

(Granted I've heard that it might have been changed to just spendign a lot of time in the Shadow Rift so quite honestly I'm not sure if it did actually work for Lyssa von Zarovich at the moment....)
Note: all arguments and points are made with the AD&D 2ed perspective. I never saw the validation of the ghost attack aging other undead creatures. Yes vampires can drain off power from other vampires (according to the good doctor), but a ghost's ability is not an aging effect exclusively (like with a Haste spell or potion of speed). When a person is aged by a ghost, their bodies are artificially aged by the shock and mental trauma (for those who can recall the movie Evil Dead II, the sequence at the end where Ash (Bruce Campbell) is aged with his hair turning white after a moment instead of a few decades is what I always think of) and not a chronomancy type attack (like a staff of withering) that rapidly speeds up time in the span of a few minutes. It is something based on the fear of the situation and the horror of the creature. A vampire is physically held frozen in time and rapidly aging that form doesn't make it stronger. It's connection to the negative energy plane grows over time and that is where it's power comes from. True that power strengthens it's body, but it is something I was never too thrilled with as a 'why not' situation. Something like this may work on dragons themselves, but vampires? Probably not. In the same light, rapid aging from a ghost degrades the body, but does not enhance the mental faculties that comes from the benefits of years of life experience.

I was never too happy with Thoughts of Darkness (I know many are going to give me grief for that comment), but did like the concept of Lyssa. But she can be kept as is and aged like a vampire should (the wedding was 400 years ago and she is the granddaughter of Sturm, I think) so she could have turned vampire 350ish years ago? Maybe? Still a fairly powerful vampire and doesn't need to be 'aged'. She could have killed her fiancé and tortured his spirit and then rewarded by the Dark Powers, but doesn't need a rule loop hole to make an overpowered NPC.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Just to be clear, I think that a ghosts aging touch working on vampries is a silly silly silly idea and by silly I mean "stupid".

Ghost aging touch making dragons/vampires stronger shouldn't work any more than the The Empress of Blood's plan (from Order of the Stick) to become stronger by eating a lot because if the strongest dragons are also the biggest then growing bigger should also mean you grow stronger!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

You got the main ones:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Category:Dragon
Ebb's mate is Gloom
The fictitious one in Nidala is Banemaw
The one in Kalidnay is Kalid-Ma
The tarnished copper is Grezanletyr, (and is from Terrors from Above, not Forgotten Children.)

Missing from the list:
Arantor is an undead dragon, darklord of Monadhan. (A Shadowfell Domain of Dread)
Gravestorm, a dracolich living in Castle Ravenloft's crypts, if you consider the Castle Ravenloft boardgame canon.
Strahd also has pet "Stone dragons" in his foyer. (Soth killed one)

I don't recall a silver dragon in the Shadowlands (Banemaw is supposedly red.) Might have been in the Shadowborn novel, but in the old Great Kingdom, before the story went to Ravenloft?

Also, "the golden-eyed youth" from the TSR trading cards.

Previous threads:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=8776
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=2471
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:I don't recall a silver dragon in the Shadowlands (Banemaw is supposedly red.) Might have been in the Shadowborn novel, but in the old Great Kingdom, before the story went to Ravenloft?
Literally not trying to put words in your mouth, but I thought it was you (Gonzoron) who made that comment to me (I could be wrong of course) when I complained about the Hour of the Knife having a NPC in the back section who spoke 'silver dragon' when there is not one in the 2nd edition universe. Someone pointed out the dragon tongue is not broken down to draconic subraces and that there was one in a 4th (I believe) edition product.
Azalin Rex
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Azalin Rex »

Thank you.
A child forever carried by his father never learns to walk, my little servant. Competence cannot be bequeathed.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Ryan Naylor wrote:There's a tarnished copper dragon in the Forgotten Children netbook.
Did you mean the tarnished copper dragon from Terrors from Above? http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Grezanletyr
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Dark Angel wrote:Literally not trying to put words in your mouth, but I thought it was you (Gonzoron) who made that comment to me (I could be wrong of course) when I complained about the Hour of the Knife having a NPC in the back section who spoke 'silver dragon' when there is not one in the 2nd edition universe. Someone pointed out the dragon tongue is not broken down to draconic subraces and that there was one in a 4th (I believe) edition product.
whuh.... am I getting that senile so soon?

searches...

aha... got it:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... 6&p=199728

It's Arantor who's the silver (I'd forgotten that detail sometime in the past year, apparently). And he's in a Shadowfell domain, not the Shadowlands. I've added that detail to his Mistipedia page now for future reference.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Dark Angel wrote: Note: all arguments and points are made with the AD&D 2ed perspective. I never saw the validation of the ghost attack aging other undead creatures.
I was never too happy with Thoughts of Darkness (I know many are going to give me grief for that comment), but did like the concept of Lyssa.
I agree with your perspective.
I also was :shock: for the "cheat mode" for Lyssa but still liked the concept. I don't think many here will defend Thoughts of Darkness actually. My cousin played part of it once. He told me the DM gave a character an amulet of 3 WISHES to stave off TPKs. It didn't. The party was wiped out by 5 mind flayers in an early encounter. Each of the PCs got 2-3 mindblasts and then they all died.
My DMGuild work!