No votes

Total votes: 9

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Poll, summer game possibility

Post by ewancummins »

GM situation:
It looks like a summer PbP game is possible.
VIEW CONTENT:
I'm done with the academic term in three days. I've just one short paper left to write.
Ruth is on maternity leave and then she has all summer off.
This summer I will be writing fiction, working on a small game project, learning to make digitally created maps, going to the gym more often, and so on. But I won't be travelling, and I'm not working a 9-5 job or taking courses. And with both of us at home, caring for the baby has fallen into a comfortable pattern.
It looks like no regular tabletop game will happen, for various reasons.

Next fall, I don't plan to start any games. If I begin something this summer, I may or may not decide to continue it in autumn, depending on how busy my thesis term gets.

Next winter break is the next likeliest time for a game online, if we don't play this summer.

I need to find out who wants to game, what people might want to play, and all that.

If you have played in any of my previous games on FoS, feel free to vote (this isn't only a poll for the players from the BR game). But please only cast a vote if you think you will have the free time, motivation, and net access to actively participate over the summer.

OPTION 1
Birthright 3: The Worm's Supper
As autumn gives way to early winter, folk fall ill across central Tuornen, suffering from burning fever, rotting blisters, frightening visions, and violent spasms. The priests of Haelyn labor to slow the spread of the malady with little initial success. Monks of the Militant Order travel the countryside stirring up the common folk with talk of nocturnal poisoners and black magic. In Haes, a newly formed street gang, ‘The Hooded Hunters’, attacks visitors from Lofton and openly blames the “treacherous Alamiens” for the sudden appearance of the illness.
Meanwhile, the Manslayer’s warbands strike all along the western borders with abductions, arsons, and murders by night.
Messengers from the Archprelate bring Turonen’s heroes a discrete invitation to meet His Holiness in the prelate’s palace for a private discussion of the duchy’s troubles.

OPTION 2
Ravenloft: The Surgeon’s Apprentice
Guillaume DuPont, a Richemuloise student at the surgeon’s school in Ludendorf, writes to Dorgio Varga for help. The student reports that he has been wrongly arrested for a string of murders of women in the town, based on circumstantial evidence, a misidentification of him by a witness, and ‘Lamordian xenophobia.’ Guillaume fears that even if he can win his case in court—a prospect of which he seems uncertain—the local people may lynch him before he leaves the town. He has read Dorgio’s pamphlet: The Woman-Killer, and he believes the true murderer may either be the same villain who carried out the crimes described therein or a madman inspired by reading the pamphlet. The young man provides details about the Ludendorf murders that almost exactly match Jonathon Maytr’s crimes.

OPTION 3
Summer of Sci Fi!
Do you want to try something other than fantasy and/or gothic horror? If this option wins, I will open a quick secondary poll/discussion for a sci fi game. I have several options prepared, between modules and my own notes for games I haven’t yet run. We can use the Star Frontiers rules set and default setting (the rules are available as free PDFs online, courtesy of Wizards, and the system is easy to learn).The default mode for play assumes teams of operatives who do jobs for corporations or governments. That can be loads of fun. But we could also do a game centered around the PCs as colonists on a “new” world (obviously, it won’t be a boring, safe colony!).
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed May 13, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Poll, summer game possibility

Post by ewancummins »

I'm leaving the poll open for one week.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Although I'm a new arrival to the group(s), I would prefer Ravenloft. We need something to chill our spine in the hot summer nights after all.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Although I'm a new arrival to the group(s), I would prefer Ravenloft. We need something to chill our spine in the hot summer nights after all.
If we get a lot of votes for RL, but BrockMarsh Runoff isn't up for playing over the summer, I can rejigger the intro/ hook or run a somewhat different RL game (people can still bring in their existing characters)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we get a lot of votes for Summer of Sci Fi, I can discuss the game options in more detail.

Rules are available here:
http://starfrontiers.com/

I'd be using Alpha Dawn plus a Dragon Magazine article: A Shot in the Arm and some optional skills added in the Star Frontiersman fanzine (also free).
And, indeed, if anyone wants to discuss sci fi stuff now, here, fire away.
I've suggested two main models:
  • troubleshooters
and
  • colonists

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

There may also be a fourth option, about which I'm pretty excited. It's not me running, but me playing with some of you.
JMatyr has begun designing and selling products for a new campaign setting (for Pathfinder/3E). (I've had a small hand in some of that work.)
He wants to playtest some material.
I'll let him give you details in a post, here in this thread.

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Yes, tentatively titled "Whispers of the Dark Mother". It will be a Pathfinder Compatible adventure starting at 1st level using, any 3.5 / pathfinder/ pathfinder 3pp options, excluding races (those need to stick to the 3.5 Players handbook/ pathfinder core book. Note: all races will have changes to them (even humans), so just pick a race and make your character and then I will PM you the changes to incorporate.

If the group chooses this option that is.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

If JMatyr's game is a go, I will adapt either Waleran or Dalorna as a PC. those are two characters I barely had a chance to play. The trapper (rogue) will get a setting specific twist. :azalin: The necromancer will not have a raven familiar, but a chicken. BOK!

I have added JMaytr's game to the poll options (because if that polls well, I may end up playing in it and not running a game-- I don't have time to do both).
I have also allowed (for a limited time only) the re-voting option.

I will hold off on casting my own vote until others have voted. I'm interested in all listed options, otherwise they wouldn't be on the list.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I will wait and see which game is chosen.

ewan, I am up for gaming this summer. However I am in California starting Saturday and only back 10 days later, so no internet.

I second alhoon's vote for anything Ravenloft :)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I have voted BR so we wrap things up, with one PC captured and one non in party yet I would prefer to continue this one.

But I'm also good with RL :D

JMatyr, can you tell us something more about the campaign? It will be gothic horror, fantasy?
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

It will be fantasy horror with strong, "Lovecraftian" elements.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

We may have miscommunicated--I'm totally up for this summer. It might even be easier for me, since I won't have to deal with my ungodly teaching load.

Ravenloft sounds good to me!
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

I will play in what ever the group chooses but I would prefer BR. If only because my pc has been captured.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

I have voted for the playtest, but I am very happy with either BR or RL.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I've kicked around a few posts, thinking of how best to resolve the split vote.
But I think maybe the most fun for me is to get a chance to play.

If no one objects, I'll join JMatyr's playtest.