Poll #4 Birthright 3: The Worms Supper

Online roleplaying at the Café

Do you feel that your PC has choices that are meaningful?

1)No, I feel railroaded. Our choices don't matter as much as they should.
No votes
2)I feel that player choices are constrained in ways that are plausible and that make the game more fun. Our actions have an effect on the emergent story and on the setting.
100%
3) I feel like there's too much freedom. We are all over the place with no clear goals.
No votes

Total votes: 5

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Poll #4 Birthright 3: The Worms Supper

Post by ewancummins »

:adam: :adam: :adam:
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Poll #4 Birthright 3: The Worms Supper

Post by alhoon »

I don't feel constrained at all in your games. I feel we act and the world reacts, not the other way around.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:I don't feel constrained at all in your games. I feel we act and the world reacts, not the other way around.

I generally try to run RPGs so that the players' choices are limited more by the nature of the setting and the particular circumstances of the PCs than by metaplot.
Of course there are plenty of events over which the PCs have no control. But the choice of how to react to such things is up to the players. And by the players' choices , the PCs' actions may alter the course of events.

I do a fair amount of note-keeping and domain turn stuff for BR. Stuff is going on in and out of Tuornen that may or may not show up in open play, much of it peripheral to what the players are doing, or not connected. PC actions can and do impact NPC plans, even the plans of NPCs who haven't met the PCs face to face.

Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

There are some games I would run that are more tightly structured.

But in many cases that is something that's agreed-upon at the beginning.

If I ran Pendragon, one adventure per game year is the default structure, along with the possibility of a solo in the winter phase for any player-knight who missed out on that game-year's adventure.

In a dungeon crawl game (not something I'm so likely to run online, but I enjoy playing these in tabletop mode), the dungeon itself limits choices.

I'd be happy to attempt a full-on sandbox game sometime, in which PCs explore and travel about as they please, getting into trouble, making friends and enemies, and so on. I don't know if that would work better in tabletop or PbP. Probably the former.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I like very much the fact that we get a scene according what we are doing, if we decide to go to a place A will happen A, to a place B will happen B. That way the game is intresting. Obviously a general plot is impotant but we get in there in our pace and I like that :)
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ewancummins wrote: Of course there are plenty of events over which the PCs have no control.
That's not constraining because all those events seem natural. Of course, I don't vote cause to have some story element to "disrupt your plans"... you first need to have some. So I'll let the others vote on that. But in my opinion, our options are as wide as the world.
For my part, I feel that if I decided to say "You know what? Termelan will actually travel to the other side of the river and ask people there what they think of the wedding!" nothing not expected would stand in my way.
Speaking of it... check the OOC
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Sounds fun!