Grudge

Books, movies, television and everything else
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Grudge

Post by Snake »

I may go to see this tomorrow, so I was wondering if anyone saw it and how it was.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

3 characters pivotal to the original plot have disappeared from those I have spoken with and have seen both versions of the movie, the timeline has also been altered. Some of the more haunting scenes also seem to have been removed or changed drastically. However, I have not seen the remake yet, but I will to cast my own judgement upon it.

Most of the feedback I have seen from people I know has been poor, but a few enjoyed it, though not very many. All have said it was better than the dismal rehash made with The Ring, but if you ask me that doesn't say alot.
Swallow your soul!
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Hmm. Interesting.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

I saw The Grudge this weekend, and it was pretty good (although I wouldn't say that it was great). The movie has a pretty good background story, and the cast keep the suspense going throughout most of the film. I wouldn't say that anyone performed an Oscar-winning role, but the acting was pretty good.

Never saw the original movie, but it might be in my favor. I enjoyed The Ring as well, but that is another movie that I've never seen the original film.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

I saw it a week ago. I recommend it, but I never saw the original.

I stand by my opinion from the Monte Mal boards; I'm still jumping at shadows at night.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

It was decent enough, but nothing for the ages. Really, I can't actually say it caused any genuine dread while was in the theater, and the only real startling scare that got me was the reflection in the bus window. All others I saw coming at least a minute in advance. That all being said, it did cause me to lose sleep a few days later. The sound my computer produces when downloading several large files at once, something I like to do while I sleep, is rather similar to that rather important "If you're hearing this you're already dead" sound in the film.

Haven't seen the origional but I do plan to for comparasion.
I think we're property...
That once upon a time, this earth was No-man's Land...but that now it's owned by Something:
That Something (now) owns this earth -- all others warned off. -Charles Fort
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

For a note of interest, the original is out here in Britain as The Grudge, so I am surprised they allowed the remake to carry the same name across here. Ju-on 2 is out here early next year on DVD.

One thing I do recommend though is that before going to see the remakes of Battle Royalle, The Eye (rumoured at this stage) and Ichi the Killer (also rumoured), see the original. The yare all fantastic movies. I am worried about the Battle Royalle remake most of all, since the original had 14 year olds going about killing each other.
Swallow your soul!
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

I think it's intresting that so many people liked "The Grudge." I thought it was a huge waste of time, despite the admittedly few good scares that were in it. (I posted a review of it, along with five other movies [and counting... it's my "Quickie Review" thread. Feel free to contribute. :)] here: http://p075.ezboard.com/fstevemillersba ... =105.topic )
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Steve, many of the things you said about The Grudge are what many thought was bad about it, though you didn't mention the acting from SMG, that alot of people have also moaned about ;)

Surpried to see Jason X get 5 stars though, I enjoyed it, but I thought it was pretty run-of-the-mill and rated it about 3 out of 5 when I reviewed it when it came out. It was just another "turn your brain off, laugh at the jokes and deaths" movie to me :lol:. Very enjoyable for it but nothing special. I preferred Freddy vs. Jason, it was far funnier.
Swallow your soul!
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Surpried to see Jason X get 5 stars though, I enjoyed it, but I thought it was pretty run-of-the-mill and rated it about 3 out of 5 when I reviewed it when it came out. It was just another "turn your brain off, laugh at the jokes and deaths" movie to me :lol:. Very enjoyable for it but nothing special. I preferred Freddy vs. Jason, it was far funnier.
We are on exact opposite sides of these two movies. I didn't like "Freddy vs. Jason," because it could have been so much more. (BTW, I doubt anyone but me noticed this because I didn't see FvJ until last year... but most of the supporting cast of "Joan of Arcada" are in the film. It was a bit weird to see them all together yet in different roles.)

"Jason X" kept me more entertained. Yeah, it wasn't a masterpiece, but none of the "Jason" films have been. They're all about bodycount and death methods.
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

I will admit that Jason X had its moment. like a certain cast member who was once in Forever Knight who appeared to act more human when she was an android, heheheheh. The violence was good as well, but I thought it xould have been better. Still, it scared 15 year olds who went to see it the same time I did, then again, I think several episodes of Buffy probably scared them as well.

I wish they would build soundproof areas in cinemas for those kids who have to scream and shoult or cry at the most remote of scary moments in a movie.
Swallow your soul!
Shadowking
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Grudge

Post by Shadowking »

I saw the Movie 3 weeks ago and it was so-and-so. Some scenes gave me the creeps (like the ghost rising from the shadows) while others made me laugh (the "brother" moaning on the phone, the ghost-child wailing like a cat). It is full of Ravenloft inspiraitons, though. I would make the house a 3rd rank Sinkhole of Evil (Hate), the child a 2nd rank Ghost and the mother a 4th rank Ghost, both chaotic evil and way beyond simple madness. Like Godefroy, the only way to take them out is to destroy the house.

Did any of you see the "Bogeyman" trailer? That movie looks very promising to me, especially considering QtR 11's theme.
"To bring down the monster you have to become a monster"
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

Wondered when someone was going to mention Bogeymen. More than a coincenence? Eh, whatever. What story we're given sounds very reminiscent of Darkness Falls, but we''ll just have to wait and find out if there's more to it.
I think we're property...
That once upon a time, this earth was No-man's Land...but that now it's owned by Something:
That Something (now) owns this earth -- all others warned off. -Charles Fort
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Re: The Grudge

Shadowking wrote:I saw the Movie 3 weeks ago and it was so-and-so. Some scenes gave me the creeps (like the ghost rising from the shadows) while others made me laugh (the "brother" moaning on the phone, the ghost-child wailing like a cat). It is full of Ravenloft inspiraitons, though. I would make the house a 3rd rank Sinkhole of Evil (Hate), the child a 2nd rank Ghost and the mother a 4th rank Ghost, both chaotic evil and way beyond simple madness. Like Godefroy, the only way to take them out is to destroy the house.
SPOILER WARNING

My conclusion to Ju-on is that the mother and son (Toshio) are more or less held their by the father, who killed himself after murdering them. They try to seek help to free their spirits but are only aiding the father to lure in more victims. He is the one who bore the intense emotion of hatred at the time of death, the others died in fear.

The cat also counts as a seperate ghost, since it to was killed by the father. So perhaps a rank 1 ghost for the cat?

I liked Toshio yowling though :)

Oh yes, in the scene where you see SMG going down in the elevator with Toshio looking in, the original had another character in that scene (the sister, ummm... I think it was Hitomi the one sucked into her bed) and she was taking the elevator up to her appartment. That is how the spirits found where she lived, or at least the building, they weren't able to track her to her appartment, if so she would not have received the phone call.

As for the little toy in Hitomi's (if that is her name, I am guessing here) hand in the remake, watch the original and its origin is revealled. I'm not sure if it is in the remake, but I have been told by a few people that they don't understand where it came from.
Swallow your soul!
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Well I saw this movie Saturday and I really liked it. I enjoy watching these horror movies especially ones on haunted houses and what not. Thanks for your comments as well.