Masque of the Black Dome?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
BTsam
Conspirator
Conspirator

Masque of the Black Dome?

Post by BTsam »

well,I'm chinese,my english is coarse.sorry ;(
How about that:Put the MotRD into space?Just like space horror films——《Alien》,《Event Horizon》,or the game like 《Dead Space》——But have elements of MotRD in there,like Qabal,some “literature monsters”(Le Horla);Of course, Mysterious force.
Probably will set in the future,science fiction of 1970s~1980s,like old monitors,heavy weapons,space marines of Vietnam War style;And,Put the elements of Jules Verne or HG Wells or Edgar Rice Burroughs in that.
Something like this:There have relics found on Mars,humans obtain ability to colonize outside of solar system,but at the same time,there have some kind of power is wake up.The Earth was destroyed by a mysterious catastrophe,the colonial government blocked information,and this power is to search the rest of the humans,the ghosts wandering in the space,The missing starship was found——with unknown evil,and "Van Helsing" of that era will be John Carter,he live for a long time.Just like——Space itself is a "monster",we live in its stomach.A fear and despair of the unknown.
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Masque of the Black Dome?

Post by Hazgarn »

Some great ideas there. I haven't looked into MotRD much, but space/sci-fi horror is one of my favorite genres.
VIEW CONTENT:
The name kind of reminds me of the first roleplaying campaign I tried to run ages ago. It was a d20 Modern game that borrowed a bit from the Plane of Shadow from D&D, paranoia of John Carpenter's The Thing and something akin to the semi-sentient, reality-bending planet from the sci-fi movie Solaris. The original version of the campaign involved scientists punching a hole in dimensions, causing a town to be overshadowed by a bizarre force that could probably best be described as "sentient antimatter", taking the forms of twisted abominations in its attempt to mimic native creatures (and people) made from matter it didn't really understand.

I've played with rewriting the idea for a space, post-apocalyptic, or high fantasy setting. One idea for Ravenloft was to have it be a chunk of the Plane of Shadow that gained sentience after it was trapped during the Grand Conjunction.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

One of the Spelljammer adventures, "Under the Dark Fist" I think is the name, has the option of the villain becoming a darklord and the entire crystal sphere being pulled into Ravenloft.
BTsam
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by BTsam »

Hazgarn wrote:Some great ideas there. I haven't looked into MotRD much, but space/sci-fi horror is one of my favorite genres.
VIEW CONTENT:
The name kind of reminds me of the first roleplaying campaign I tried to run ages ago. It was a d20 Modern game that borrowed a bit from the Plane of Shadow from D&D, paranoia of John Carpenter's The Thing and something akin to the semi-sentient, reality-bending planet from the sci-fi movie Solaris. The original version of the campaign involved scientists punching a hole in dimensions, causing a town to be overshadowed by a bizarre force that could probably best be described as "sentient antimatter", taking the forms of twisted abominations in its attempt to mimic native creatures (and people) made from matter it didn't really understand.

I've played with rewriting the idea for a space, post-apocalyptic, or high fantasy setting. One idea for Ravenloft was to have it be a chunk of the Plane of Shadow that gained sentience after it was trapped during the Grand Conjunction.
Oh, very cool.:)
BTsam
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by BTsam »

Resonant Curse wrote:One of the Spelljammer adventures, "Under the Dark Fist" I think is the name, has the option of the villain becoming a darklord and the entire crystal sphere being pulled into Ravenloft.
I think you are referring to 《Crystal Spheres》?《Under The Dark Fist》is about Vodoni Empire invade three spheres.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

BTsam wrote:
Resonant Curse wrote:One of the Spelljammer adventures, "Under the Dark Fist" I think is the name, has the option of the villain becoming a darklord and the entire crystal sphere being pulled into Ravenloft.
I think you are referring to 《Crystal Spheres》?《Under The Dark Fist》is about Vodoni Empire invade three spheres.

You are probably correct, I was going off the top of my head while on the way to a medic call.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

One of the netbooks had an article on Gothic Mars (maybe one of the book of s_s on the kargatane website) And another one had an article on some mind flayers that landed on Gothic Earth and had started a cult or something. Also look at the historical novel etc character thread on the gothic earth sub board edit: I meant mind flayers crashlanded in earth on a spelljammer
BTsam
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by BTsam »

The Lesser Evil wrote:One of the netbooks had an article on Gothic Mars (maybe one of the book of s_s on the kargatane website) And another one had an article on some mind flayers that landed on Gothic Earth and had started a cult or something. Also look at the historical novel etc character thread on the gothic earth sub board edit: I meant mind flayers crashlanded in earth on a spelljammer
Oh, I saw the first one, "Mars Attacks Gothic Earth" in 《The Book of Sorrows》.But I don't know the other one.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

BTsam wrote:
A Domain based on the events of "Crystal Spheres" appears in the most recent Quoth the Raven.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
BTsam
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by BTsam »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
BTsam wrote:
A Domain based on the events of "Crystal Spheres" appears in the most recent Quoth the Raven.
Yeah, I saw T'Laan. Great art:)
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

BTsam wrote:
Oh, I saw the first one, "Mars Attacks Gothic Earth" in 《The Book of Sorrows》.But I don't know the other one.
I found it, it's "the Waking Nightmare" that is also in the Book of Sorrows. It presents a tale from Abraham von Helsing (circa, 1893) about his encounter with an Alhoon and its attempt to spread (pseudo)illithid life to Gothic Earth, and then has stats at the end for the various critters.