slaymates in ravenloft?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

slaymates in ravenloft?

Post by jules »

how would you make a slaymate for the various magical darklords or for ravenloft in general?
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: slaymates in ravenloft?

Post by Hazgarn »

Since slaymates boost necromantic powers, I could see them being a valuable commodity in Ravenloft, but since they are (I believe) the result of children who died due to the betrayal of their guardians, they would likely be difficult to create reliably.

One (pretty awful) possibility would be for a villain who specializes in trafficking these creatures, finding desperate or heartless individuals willing to give up their children (either for pay or through extortion) and allow them to be murdered while they watch, so the child is aware of their betrayal. Any place where living conditions are generally harsh (Falkovnia and G'Henna come immediately to mind) could provide an appropriate hunting ground (i.e. a place to find desperate families with more troubles than they can handle and more children than they can feed).
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Suvie
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Suvie »

What's a slaymate?!
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

Suvie wrote:What's a slaymate?!
They were undead children from Libris Mortis with an aura that makes it easier for magic users to apply metamagic to necromancy spells.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

A couple of possibilities:
Marcel Delacourte (Children of the Night: Ghosts, Port-a-Lucine) or Stefan Dyreth (in Matira Bay, see Bleak House), both necromancers and textile mill owners whom killed all their child laborers and reanimated them as zombies to save manufacturing costs. Obviously capable of child-murdering, they might create slaymates to boost their animation potential.

Klea Torn (in Cavitius, see Die Vecn Die p.89)- mad necromancer whom believes her undead are her children.

Although not a necromancer, Merilee Markuza might lead a few of these kindred souls. An evil Peter Pan-like shadow fey (complete with a baobhan sith Tinkerbell sidekick) could create these by luring naughty children or whomever back to his realm pretending it's a place where you get to play forever.
Hamiclar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hamiclar »

I see them in the swamp lands of Souragne they being necromantic would fit in great. I was just looking at them and may tie one in with my Viola of the dead adventure.