Whatever Happened to Little Medraut?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Whatever Happened to Little Medraut?

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Since dhampires have been on my mind lately (see Tavelia), the thought occurred to me: whatever happened to Medraut, after Soth killed him? He should have come back as a vampire a day later, right? A vampiric version of the child-sorcerer that accidentally opened the Hunadora portal by mortally wounding his sister when he was 10, kept her barely alive for years to keep the portal open, did unwholesome experiments on the living, dead and undead, up to and including torturing a troupe of musicians to create the Morts-qui-Dancent.

Yeah. That guy. :roll:

Anyone ever done anything with that in their games?
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Whatever Happened to Little Medraut?

Post by The Lesser Evil »

To all my knowledge, he was destroyed when he was sacrificed by Azrael in the attempt to open the Hunadora Porta (which required his blood- that might explain his demise w/o undeadth). Out of game, I think the dhampyr appellation was given to him. Assuming he survived, he would have had to hide from Dominiani. Assumping he accomplished that, it's highly plausible he might have been discovered in Castle Hunadora's basement by Gabrielle and company. If that's the case, Medraut would make a VERY useful ally for the Gundarkite Resistance Movement. Imagine the horrors he could pump out for the war effort. If the resurrected Cult of Erlin was introduced to him, he could easily become an unofficial high priest or other living embodiment of the Gundarkite Resistance Movement's darki side.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Why would he have to hide from Dominiani? They would have known each other for decades, and probably worked together, considering the overlap of their respective trades. Sure, Dominiani betrayed M's father to his death, but I don't see why that would mean M would have anything to fear from him. If anything, Dr. D should be running from Medraut avenging his father's death. But even that's a stretch, as I don't see Medraut as one to care much about his dad. He'd be more upset that he's lost his sweet crib and source of raw materials.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

IMC, he is dead after adventurers stormed the castle years ago.

But I recently had witches hired to alchemically create blood vials of Medraut after his hairs (perhaps the last body part of Medraut still existing). That way, the people (an evil cult) who hired the witches could open the gate in Hunadora. Another part of their plan was a tuning device that they used to set the gate to a specific place.

Also, one of the ugly creatures half floating in Hunadora' moat is Medraut's sister (Gewena Nharov). Her mind is nearly dead, stuck in an eternal painful agony, bleeding endlessly in the moat...
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Joël of the FoS wrote:IMC, he is dead after adventurers stormed the castle years ago.
Do you mean he was killed by the adventurers, not by Soth or Azrael? Or did you have him come back as a vampire after KotBR, and then get killed again by the adventurers?
But I recently had witches hired to alchemically create blood vials of Medraut after his hairs (perhaps the last body part of Medraut still existing). That way, the people (an evil cult) who hired the witches could open the gate in Hunadora. Another part of their plan was a tuning device that they used to set the gate to a specific place.
Interesting. So they needed Medraut's blood specifically? Were there no other children of Gundar to kill? He has returned, so you could even use the blood of Gundar himself.
Also, one of the ugly creatures half floating in Hunadora' moat is Medraut's sister (Gewena Nharov). Her mind is nearly dead, stuck in an eternal painful agony, bleeding endlessly in the moat...
Wow...so would her blood qualify? That sounds a lot easier than making blood from his hairs. :shock:
Joël of the FoS

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote:IMC, he is dead after adventurers stormed the castle years ago.
Do you mean he was killed by the adventurers, not by Soth or Azrael? Or did you have him come back as a vampire after KotBR, and then get killed again by the adventurers?
On another campaign, I DMed the events of KotBR, having the PCs basically playing the role Soth had : they killed Medraut and used the gate. The heroes had then learned of the gate and Medraut's blood role, by a Strahd spy, who was happy to manipulate the PCs so they ran amoc in Hunadora.

In this current campaign, with many of the same players, I kept the "adventurers killed Medraut", but that happened decades ago.
Interesting. So they needed Medraut's blood specifically? Were there no other children of Gundar to kill? He has returned, so you could even use the blood of Gundar himself.
No, IMC, Gundar had only two (surviving) children with his dead human wife (she is unamed?), and these two are Medraut and Gewena.

Really, didn't put a thought on this, so this could be of use later n the campaign. I guess the blood trick doesn't work with eventual bastards Gundar may have had, or he killed them all, or their mother when they became pregnant, whatever. He kept them in a dungeon, IIRC. Or maybe Medraut and Gewena's mother had an important role in the gate origin? That is posibly a great potential for a lost legacy story here.

Indeed, Gundar came back, the PCs were witness to the events with Dr Arcanus, but since then, Gundar have been elusively quiet IMC. It's one of the many pieces I create in my chess game, mostly for atmospherics when I did it, so for the moment it doesn't have a role in the campaign. One of the PCs is a Gundarak noble in hiding since Strahd invaded and killed all opposing Gundarak nobles. Perhaps later, I could use it. If not, the Arcanus events made a good story ;)
Wow...so would her blood qualify? That sounds a lot easier than making blood from his hairs. :shock:
Ah yes, but IMC this is a fact that is still unknown. She lays there half floating since decades, and people do not know this fact. I plan to have her pop out of the moat some day, to yell her brother's name, then recede in the dark waters of the moat. Perhaps when Hunadora will be under siege by Malloccio. Possibly just as an atmospheric (or if another plot eventually need more blood, as they have destroyed all Medraut's blood vials after running after the evil cult on the receiveing end of the gate, and destroyed it).
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

IMC my PC find his dark laboratory under Gundar's castle, they find a note how to activate the portal and a jar with the blood of her dead sister.
They also found a vampiric axe.
Saying the word "Medraut" activate the axe's power (vampiric touch).
As the rule said, any creature slain by the axe is raising as a vampire.
Another thing that my pcs doesn't know is that the axe is also a magic jar, when Medraut was slain by Azrael, his essence was put in the axe.
When the axe will consume enough life energy , Medrault will raise again crushing the soul of the axe bearer :azalin:
Joël of the FoS

kottakinge wrote:IMC my PC find his dark laboratory under Gundar's castle,
Really? ;)

For the others : we shared ideas on this lab when he/I DMed it for our respective groups.
They also found a vampiric axe.
Saying the word "Medraut" activate the axe's power (vampiric touch).
As the rule said, any creature slain by the axe is raising as a vampire.
Another thing that my pcs doesn't know is that the axe is also a magic jar, when Medraut was slain by Azrael, his essence was put in the axe.
When the axe will consume enough life energy , Medrault will raise again crushing the soul of the axe bearer :azalin:
Oh fun :) I think my PCs destroyed the axe, IIRC. So yours kept it even if it is an evil item?

Joël