Dark corners of the core

Discussing all things Ravenloft
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dark corners of the core

Post by kottakinge »

Hello fellow DM,
i'm bowing to your infinite knowledge of the secrets of the dread realms.
Once again i'm seeking guidance from your immortal souls:
My PCs are on their way of vanquishing a minor fey queen in a pocket domain in Tepest (the adventure shadow of a dusk queen), to escape this tiny realm they have to open a portal (a big mirror with numerous mirror's shards that were scattered all around the realm).
The portal will lead to another domain, but where?That's the question.
I'm looking for a dark, dank, dangerous location, yes, the dark corner of the core.
Preferably in the North area of the core.
Maybe Falcon March?
Did you know another place like this?

Many thanks.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Dark corners of the core

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The Shadow Rift is pretty dark. : :banshee: But, not really a corner, per se.

The Great Rift of Sithicus is both dark and in the corner, if you're being literal... :inza:
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

Souragne is both dark and quite dank. There's little so shocking as the transition from open sunlight to a canopied swamp. I've wanted to run an adventure in Souragne for the longest time.

If you're interested, it's a gods-forsaken piece of swampland, vaguely voodoo-south themed. As an island of terror, it's also a great place for PCs to lay low.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

The first idea that would come to mind is the Isle of Demise (Ravenloft MCI&II, and some further expansion in one of the later QTRs), depending on where you might arrive.

Falkovnia has:
-the Shadow Cities (Gaz II p. 104) You could incorporate stuff from any of the various shadow plane stuff into a shadow/mirror version of any of the various Falkovnian cities. -The sewers of Lekar could also work, considering all the broken ones and other weird and crazy experiments from the Ministries of Science and Magic (see gaz II and Children of the Night: Lycanthropes). In said sewers, the Well of Bones (Death Unchained) beneath the Radiant Tower also offers opportunities; it once held a cell of the Ebon Fold.

A few possibilities in Darkon:
The Boglands (Gaz II, p. 12) are dank, and weird mutated life swarms that place thanks to the wave of positive energy that happened as a reaction to the Requiem. Might be some opportunities dealing with the mutated life there.
-The Mistlands could be fairly dark, on account of all the cloud cover. Not a lot of hooks though.
-There's some bits in the forest of shadows (dark but not necessarily dank, Gaz II p. 13), including a fanon druidic lich (Book of Secrets.)
-Some underground region of Mt. Nyka, having to dodge Ebb and possibly Gloom (Gaz II p.142-143) or deal with the Dark Delvers (Gaz II, p. 22) Tombdust Hall is nearby, should they want to go to there.

The Nocturnal Sea is dark pretty much all over the place. -You could spit them out on the southern, less inhabited area of Liffe (explored more in the fanon Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer)
-Todstein might work, if you're wanting to be REALLY nasty. (Ship of Horrors and Nocturnal Sea Gaz)
-Provided they would have some way of survival, you could plop them into the Drowning Deep (also in the Nocturnal Sea Gaz). That's about as dank, dark, and dangerous as you can get.

The subject of mirrors makes me think of a few possibilities
-Mirrors are somewhat key to the existence of the DL of Avonleigh (in the Shadowlands Cluster). They could arrive, by way of there, into the Phantasmal Forest, which engulfs Avonleigh.
-there's a lot of weird mirror stuff in Sithicus (which also coincides with a lot of shadow stuff, as has been mentioned above.) I remember in one the Black Rose novels, there was almost a weird little mirror pocket plane they traversed through at one point.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Dead center of Necropolis?

In the north and quite gloomy ;)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

kottakinge wrote:Maybe Falcon March?
What's Falcon March?
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:
kottakinge wrote:Maybe Falcon March?
What's Falcon March?
Ok, did some digging. Apparently it was from the Kargatane website.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030318074 ... alcon.html
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

In that case, my vote is for that region, but add Addar's Grove.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

Sorry for my **** english, yes i mean Falconmarsh not Falcon March :-?
As usual many interesting answers, thanks.
Could be fun to go to Souragne again (my 10th bard ran night of the walking dead when he was 1st level), but i wonder if they will meet enough challenges there (average level of the PC are 9th), and i lack material to run some adventures in there.
Will have a look on the nocturnal sea, or maybe Sithicus?
Could be a good introduction to the adventure with Lord Soth (when black rose gloom IIRC).

Edited by Joël for Grandma's rule. Guys, putting the first letter and hiding the rest of a word with *** isn't good either, thanks!
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

kottakinge wrote:Sorry for my **** english, yes i mean Falconmarsh not Falcon March :-?
As usual many interesting answers, thanks.
Could be fun to go to Souragne again (my 10th bard ran night of the walking dead when he was 1st level), but i wonder if they will meet enough challenges there (average level of the PC are 9th), and i lack material to run some adventures in there.
Will have a look on the nocturnal sea, or maybe Sithicus?
Could be a good introduction to the adventure with Lord Soth (when black rose gloom IIRC).
In Sithicus, the Fumewood or the Great Chasm might work (Gaz II p. 109). Most of the islands are a bit small to go to explore without running into the darklord. However, Graben Island some bog/marshland with a race of ancient Viking-like ancient dead there called the Strangled, and one of their number struggles with a gruesome nuckalavee called the Flayed Rider for the control of the marshes and swamps.