Feral Children of Anhalla

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Feral Children of Anhalla

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

In Sebua, we read that there are a couple dozen children who wander the ruins of Anhalla, rendered perpetually young and feral due to Moosha's curse. Couple questions: Why doesn't Tiyet hear their beating hearts and come kill them? Why does Moosha need a whole pack of feral children for his curse to work?

Anyone ever done anything with these children?
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Feral Children of Anhalla

Post by thekristhomas »

IIRC the feral children predate Moosha appearing in the original Tiyet entry (I could be wrong it's been a while since I read it)
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

Also I assumed she did eat the children's hearts I always kind of assumed for the curse to work there'd always be more for Moosha to ignore.
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

thekristhomas wrote:IIRC the feral children predate Moosha appearing in the original Tiyet entry (I could be wrong it's been a while since I read it)
According to DoD they are tied to Moosha.
IrvyneWolfe wrote:Also I assumed she did eat the children's hearts I always kind of assumed for the curse to work there'd always be more for Moosha to ignore.
That still doesn't make sense. She's compelled to eat any heart she hears beating, and she can hear the heart of any humanoid in the domain. Even if eating a heart satisfied her hunger for a month, that would still mean she kills 12 kids a year. Supposedly these kids have been there for decades.

I've been going CotN:V every since I finally got ahold of one, and this entry makes less sense the more I read it. The only possible retcon I can imagine demands that Moosha is DL of a pocket domain of Anhalla, which is surrounded on all sides by Sebua. This would explain why Tiyet doesn't kill them: she can't enter, and doesn't hear their heartbeats. It also explains why they stay in Moosha's domain: Tiyet kills them in short order if they leave.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Maybe she can't eat them. Perhaps she ate one once and it negatively effected her? Weakened her, maybe, or showed her as her true age, something that means she would not eat them, but not ignore them?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Suvie
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Suvie »

I guess my question is, where are the children coming from? If they are coming from Moosha's ruined empire, then the Mists could port in new ones after each one dies. But that would just mean that Tiyet really IS devouring a couple hundred kids a year.

As for why there's a whole pack of them, I would assume it's because they ALL have the potential to break the curse--couldn't they all be heirs, at different degrees removed from the throne? Or maybe they have to do it together.

I agree, though. Whole thing needs a rewrite.

P.S. Worst advice I've ever seen to a DM: you can measure whether you are doing a great job by how angry your players are at you?! Are you kidding me? Talk about a recipe for ragequit.