Vecna & Kas... Why can't I find more about you?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Vecna & Kas... Why can't I find more about you?

Post by The Giamarga »

Fixed some broken canonfire links above.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

I find the whole idea of the Cult of Vecna so much more appealing than Vecna and Kas.

You can do so much with that said Cult, especially if you go full on Foucault's Pendulum.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re:

Post by Resonant Curse »

The Lesser Evil wrote:If you play fourth edition, I recall hearing a while back that in one of the new DDI Domains of Dread there's some mention of Kas floating around in one of those new to fourth edition domains. Kas was also a vestige for the Binder in the Tome of Magic (for 3e), wasn't he?

He was a vestige, but it was printed in a Dragon magazine.
Hamiclar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hamiclar »

Check out domains of dead pg 113 the ninth paragraph talks about Vecna curse that he can not leave and why he can not defeat Kas. Kas is on page 116 summarized to destroy kas for revenge of imprisonment and to get military dominance of the Burning peaks.
GreenWood
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by GreenWood »

I really enjoy using the Burning Peaks cluster. When Vecna ascended to full godhood and escaped The Land of Mists I replaced him with a high priestess of his. She has continued the war with Kas, which enrages him even more. Kas knows Vecna is beyond his reach, and moreover feels insulted that his new nemesis is a woman. I'm playing him as a condescending pig. His new rival is a ruthless cleric, steeped in necromantic power. The eternal wartime atmosphere of the Burning Peaks is really appealing to me.
I, the Lord of the Midnight Green, now give rise to my final dream.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re:

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

The Lesser Evil wrote:If you play fourth edition, I recall hearing a while back that in one of the new DDI Domains of Dread there's some mention of Kas floating around in one of those new to fourth edition domains. Kas was also a vestige for the Binder in the Tome of Magic (for 3e), wasn't he?
There's a vestige called Karsus, but that's not Kas. He might have been written up as a vestige in another book or online article but I don't know where. Oddly I seem to remember reading about him as a vestige as well.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Re:

Post by Resonant Curse »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:
There's a vestige called Karsus, but that's not Kas. He might have been written up as a vestige in another book or online article but I don't know where. Oddly I seem to remember reading about him as a vestige as well.

The vestige was in a Dragon Magazine.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Resonant Curse wrote:

Ah, thank you.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Resonant Curse wrote:

Dragon Magazine #341 to be exact.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

An idea I have if you want to use Vecna maybe a piece of his soul was left behind. When he left Ravenloft a remnant of himself remained. He would "merely" as powerful as the most powerful lich ever instead of a demigod. He would be considered epic in 3.5 but not a god. As far as the remnant is concerned he never left Ravenloft but he was depowered in the attempt. Any word reaching his ear about "another Vecna" is obviously about some pretender god that took his name. :evil:
Last edited by brilliantlight on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

That could work. His hunt for the Hand and Eye would become even more desperate as he believes they can restore his ascension.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

The world at large believes Vecna to be gone, until four individuals appear to claim the name and or legacy of Vecna.

The first does not claim to be Vecna reborn but rather a successor in spirit. With a hand-shaped head adorning his giant war-hammer and encased in a grotesque armor made of enchanted alloys and bones, he is the Man of Bones.

The Cavitius Kid is a youthful version of the all-powerful being, one who hasn't completely lost his sense of wonderment and humor. While he makes no claims of being the actual arch-lich reborn, the actual relationship between the two remains vague and its hard not to see the resemblances.

The Last Son of Oerth seems to share much of the now gone demigod darklord's memories, but lacks the passion and drive of the latter. Instead, we find a lich who seems to merely coldly go through the motions with no true sign of having transcended the typical ways of his kind.

As for the God of Tomorrow, he has been confirmed to possess the essence of Vecna but also seems to house a number of mechanical parts which have replaced what would have been bones or joints. Half his skull is covered in metallic plates and many members of the cult fear that he may be even more dangerous than his previous incarnation.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Zettaijin wrote:The world at large believes Vecna to be gone, until four individuals appear to claim the name and or legacy of Vecna..
I chuckled... :) Well played.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I'm sorry, I don't get the references. ^_^;
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Rock wrote:I'm sorry, I don't get the references. ^_^;
Death/rebirth of Superman I believe. Sounds like it to me.