Shadowborn family curse

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Shadowborn family curse

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Domains of Dread says that the reason for the formation of the Shadowlands (p. 19) is due to a Shadowborn family curse, providing one of the few examples of a cluster tied together not by climate and geography but by an external metaphysical source. The question I have for you to speculate or fabricate is, what is the source and nature of this curse?
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: Shadowborn family curse

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

*Hears Shadbowborn, swings in on a rope*

I've always felt the "curse" was Ebonbane exerting influence to draw in anything that Kateri Shadowborn may have cared about in life and corrupting it while her ghost watched helplessly from inside Shadowborn Manor.

Of course he went and got absorbed by Alexi Shadowborn, so while the curse is still ongoing Ebonbane is still stuck and relatively helpless now too.

*Swings off screen*

:elena:
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Shadowborn family curse

Post by The Lesser Evil »

That's kind of the default I assumed too, though Morgoroth and Faith-Hold seemed to have achieved damnation on their own. Puzzling out a separate family curse seems like fun, though. The surname "Shadowborn" had me thinking; it's an awfully foreboding name for a family so synonymous with goodness. Maybe the family emerged from very ominous origins. Maybe somewhere in the distant past, some of the ancestors earned a cursed taint onto their lineage, and the Shadowborns turned to the light to atone and make up for past ancestral sins. That sort of thing.