The 13 Demons of Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

The 13 Demons of Ravenloft

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

So, I'm toying with a campaign idea based loosely on some old Aleister Crowley lore. He once attempted to summon his guardian angel through an extensive magical ritual that was supposed to last for months and also summon the twelve kings of hell.

I've got a similar idea of evil outsiders being summoned into Ravenloft in order to pave the way for an angel being called into the demi-plane. I wanted at least some of the evil outsiders to already be in Ravenloft. What's more I wanted each fiend to represent one of the Major Arcana from the Tarroka deck. These 13 demons would be the only true fiends in Ravenloft (everything else has the mists descriptor).

The idea that struck me is that there 14 cards in the Major Arcana of the Tarroka Deck. What existing fiends would you connect to which cards? What about original fiends? Let's brainstorm!
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The 13 Demons of Ravenloft

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Artifact: an object possessed or imbued with fiendish power- perhaps a living idol; specific examples might include Iron Flask of Tuerny the Merciless or Ebonbane. Alternatively, a creator of such objects, a night hag; Styrix
Beast: ?
Broken One: A warper of flesh and sewer of despair and doubt, such as Malistroi
Darklord/Dark Master
Donjon/Prison: ?
Executioner: A fiend associated with punishment and “righteous” wrath such as a devil (Erinyes or kyton especially) or ikisitora (see CotN: Demons); possible examples: The Black Duke or Credimori
Ghost/Spirit: Inijira
Horseman: Boreas or The Whistling Fiend
Innocent: an insidious fiend of ignorance quite unknowing of the ways of the world nonetheless prays upon innocents which it claims as kindred souls; somebody like Kraxat. Alternatively, a obyrinth or qliippoth
Marionette: ?
Mists: ?
Raven: a fiend that seemingly grants a holy boon or beneficence, specific examples might include the Straw God
Esper/Hero/Seer: Shator gerehleth or arcanaloth; Drigor
Tempter: A succubus, incubus, or ; an example might include Elsepeth
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Oh dear, that post title made me think you were pulling a Ravenloft spin on something else:

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Brandi:

Like, groovy!

haha
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Brandi, that was my first thought too.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

The Lesser Evil wrote:Artifact: an object possessed or imbued with fiendish power- perhaps a living idol; specific examples might include Iron Flask of Tuerny the Merciless or Ebonbane. Alternatively, a creator of such objects, a night hag; Styrix
Beast: ?
Broken One: A warper of flesh and sewer of despair and doubt, such as Malistroi
Darklord/Dark Master
Donjon/Prison: ?
Executioner: A fiend associated with punishment and “righteous” wrath such as a devil (Erinyes or kyton especially) or ikisitora (see CotN: Demons); possible examples: The Black Duke or Credimori
Ghost/Spirit: Inijira
Horseman: Boreas or The Whistling Fiend
Innocent: an insidious fiend of ignorance quite unknowing of the ways of the world nonetheless prays upon innocents which it claims as kindred souls; somebody like Kraxat. Alternatively, a obyrinth or qliippoth
Marionette: ?
Mists: ?
Raven: a fiend that seemingly grants a holy boon or beneficence, specific examples might include the Straw God
Esper/Hero/Seer: Shator gerehleth or arcanaloth; Drigor
Tempter: A succubus, incubus, or ; an example might include Elsepeth
Of the choices for the Artifact, I would recommend Styrix for her creation of the Rift Spanner. Furthermore, that frees up Ebonbane to be associated with the Prison.

You might be able to make Thissalra Torr (from CotN: Demons) the Broken One for its mystical symbiosis with its child host, or it might more appropriately be associated with the Spirit, since it lives within her when not active. This frees up a manipulator like Inajira to be the Dark Master.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

The Lesser Evil wrote: Darklord/Dark Master
Given his long term mastermind plan, the Gentleman Caller is to me the best for this card association.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Joël of the FoS wrote:
The Lesser Evil wrote: Darklord/Dark Master
Given his long term mastermind plan, the Gentleman Caller is to me the best for this card association.
I'll second that. He makes a good Dark Master.
The Lesser Evil wrote:Marionette: ?
Since marionettes are controlled by puppet masters, perhaps a fiend of possession would fit this role, especially if it were infamous for possessing dolls or more general inanimate objects.
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

Wolfglide wrote: Since marionettes are controlled by puppet masters, perhaps a fiend of possession would fit this role, especially if it were infamous for possessing dolls or more general inanimate objects.
Elsepeth trapped her victims' spirits in dolls, so she would actually fit really well there, too.

For the Innocent, perhaps a tiefling (or half-fiend) infant or child? The Familiar in the Carnival might be a good option.

Malistroi, as a fiend who is currently imprisoned, might be a good option for the Donjon.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
Atma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Atma »

Wolfglide wrote:
The Lesser Evil wrote:Marionette: ?
Since marionettes are controlled by puppet masters, perhaps a fiend of possession would fit this role, especially if it were infamous for possessing dolls or more general inanimate objects.
What about the tenebris Tsvtieyft Schattendertodd and his gang of murderer-hosts, the Lustmorde?
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Garudos Celestar wrote:For the Innocent, perhaps a tiefling (or half-fiend) infant or child?
Thissalra Torr would also fit the bill for this card.