Favorite Darklord

Discussing all things Ravenloft
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Favorite Darklord

Post by brilliantlight »

Lord Soth wrote:Lord Soth. I wish he'd stayed in the setting rather than getting removed.
Agreed, Ravenloft is the perfect place for a Death Knight.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Lord Soth wrote:Lord Soth. I wish he'd stayed in the setting rather than getting removed.
Respectfully disagree.
While yes, Soth made an intimidating villain, I was immensely cheered to actually see him set foot on the road to redemption. ^_^;
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

After I read death of a Darklord it is hands down Harkon Lukas. He was already in my top 3.

Madeira[sp] is a close one too :)
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

steveflam wrote:After I read death of a Darklord it is hands down Harkon Lukas. He was already in my top 3.

Madeira[sp] is a close one too :)
Have you read Heart of Midnight?
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Yes I have!

Scolar of Decay is one of my favorites too
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Rock wrote:
Respectfully disagree.
While yes, Soth made an intimidating villain, I was immensely cheered to actually see him set foot on the road to redemption. ^_^;
You have to admit he is a lot better than Inza!
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Every darklord who starts out as a sociopath is lame, in my hopinion; It's the reason I changed Dominic background;
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Mistmaster wrote:Every darklord who starts out as a sociopath is lame, in my hopinion; It's the reason I changed Dominic background;
As a prerequisite I agree. But conceptually a sociopathic individual being cursed with governance must make for a bit of angst in the least.

Now whether or not the darklord in question takes an active or inactive role in their Dark-anointed duties is a whole other can of worms..
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Not all Darklords are rulers. And I do not mind sociopathic darklords which became such later in life, driven to it gradually, like Ivan; is the bad seed concept which irks me; a Darklord IMOH should be an individual, born innocent, who took bad choises knowing they were bad, without excuses. It should have some reason for sympathize and some admirable quality. a Darklord should also be a tragic character; for example, my Dominic wanted power for the prestige of his family, sacrified family for power, and now, he can't have more power, nor he can console himself with his family. My Drakov, instead, wanted to stop the anarchy and the civil war in his country, which costed him the lives of his family, forging it back into a glorious, stable, powerfull empire; now, Falkovnia is feared, but he needs to costantly repress those people he wanted to save, and he can never reach the goals he sacrificed friendship, family, his youth and his own serenity to; he wanted to build a legacy for his country, but that legacy keeps cumblig on itself, leaving him perpetually insatisfied; he is undefeated on the field, yet true victory always evade him.