Official Neverwinter: Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Official Neverwinter: Ravenloft

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/never ... venloft%21

I know there were some folks here that did a lot of work long ago on a Neverwinter mod for Ravenloft, but it seems the official version is on its way.

Seems to be Curse of Strahd-based, most likely. Always glad to see new audiences exposed to Ravenloft, though, sadly, I personally probably don't have time to play it any time soon.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Official Neverwinter: Ravenloft

Ok, I've just learned that Neverwinter is a completely different game from Neverwinter Nights, which is the one that there was fan made Ravenloft content for. :oops:

And apparently, this Neverwinter is "free to play", so maybe I'll give it a shot..
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
EO
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by EO »

Yeah, it's quite different. My understanding is that Neverwinter is closer to a generic World of Warcraft type of game, very high fantasy/hack 'n slash. I'm not sure how they will reconcile that with Ravenloft's more gothic lower magic setting.

They had also released a Ravenloft expansion to Dungeons and Dragons Online (The Mists of Ravenloft). Ravenloft as a setting has become fairly popular since they released Curse of Strahd.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Apparently this was released today on the PC version. I'll be waiting for the Xbox version, but has anyone taken it for a spin yet?
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

I'm downloading it as I write this. I'll give it a whirl and see what it's about.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

This Neverwinter is based more of the 4E version of D&D (arcade style), so be warned. Although, it is rather fun to play as a diversion :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lord_Pruitt wrote:This Neverwinter is based more of the 4E version of D&D (arcade style), so be warned. Although, it is rather fun to play as a diversion :)
I've played Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft. You can't scare me. ;)
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Lord_Pruitt wrote:This Neverwinter is based more of the 4E version of D&D (arcade style), so be warned. Although, it is rather fun to play as a diversion :)
I've played Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft. You can't scare me. ;)

Lol. That game...
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

I played Neverwinter when it came out and it was super easy to solo everything except final bosses. I ended up stopping when they added the tie in update to the 5th edition Sundering event for the Forgotten Realms but they had finally made it so you needed to at least wander around near other people for some things. Wasn't bad, certainly wasn't a "d&d" feel. I've had issues relogging in for some reason the last few times I have tried.
GreenWood
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by GreenWood »

Haha Iron and Blood. How I wanted that to be good. Not everything can be a winner though. I did really enjoy Stone Prophet, however.
I, the Lord of the Midnight Green, now give rise to my final dream.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Someone just showed me the official trailer for Neverwinter: Ravenloft, and I was struck by how young Strahd looked---at least until the bat-like features developed. Strahd is supposed to be frustratingly stuck with an older countenance, yet in the trailer he looks remarkably well aged for someone who became a vampire at 52.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Wait Canon stated he got his youth back killing his brother.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Well, I had a hard time finding support for the version of events I understood. I was getting close to wondering if I fabricated it from assumptions. In many of the sources I scanned, there was no explicit statement one way or the other, leaving me with only the several pictures of Strahd that look closer to 52 to me.

However, then I found this on page four of the Ravenloft Player's Handbook:
I have studied much since then. "Vampyr" is my new name. I still lust for life and youth, and I curse the living that took them from me.
He would not now be "lusting after youth" if the murder of Sergei restored it to him.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

The lust for life and youth could simbolize his alimentary urges thought, as he mainly feeds from young women..
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Wolfglide wrote:He would not now be "lusting after youth" if the murder of Sergei restored it to him.
Remembering from 'I Strahd' - Death's offering was "You hunger for your brother's betrothed, for your lost youth. I shall remove the rival from your path, and you shall age not one day more".

So his desire for his lost youth restored is mentioned, but the actual promise made is he won't age anymore. So he doesn't grow older, but doesn't get 'younger' either.
Which is always why you read the fine print isn't it Mr Zarovich? :wink:
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."