Help! Name that adventure

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Help! Name that adventure

Post by Jennifer »

Dear all,
It has been ages since I have visited here. But in my hour of need I turn to you.

Currently I am playing a short Ravenloft campaign with the theme of ghosts. And I remember reading an adventure completely centered on ghosts. I would like to play it with my group, but I can't find it. Is it an official published adventure? Is it in the Books of S*? Is my mind finally going?

The gist of the adventure as I can remember it...
A young women (Violet? Violetta?) has inherited a manor/ family estate she would like to occupy. But it is haunted by the ghosts of her ancestors. A nasty bunch apparently, some of them killed each other and now they haunt different parts of the manor/ estate. I remember one ghost haunting a suit of armor, so it seemed like the suit was an automaton of something.
Now she requests that the PCs clear out the manor. For some reason she faints when she approaches the manor, only to be haunted by a specific ancestor herself.

Who can help me out with the name of this adventure. Or tell me if I just imagined it all...

Kind regards,
Jennifer
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Help! Name that adventure

Post by DustBunny »

Jennifer wrote:A young women (Violet? Violetta?) has inherited a manor/ family estate she would like to occupy. But it is haunted by the ghosts of her ancestors. A nasty bunch apparently, some of them killed each other and now they haunt different parts of the manor/ estate. I remember one ghost haunting a suit of armor, so it seemed like the suit was an automaton of something.
Now she requests that the PCs clear out the manor. For some reason she faints when she approaches the manor, only to be haunted by a specific ancestor herself.
Poking through my files the nearest one I can match to your information is 'The Haunts of Lockwood Manor' - Book of Sorrows p60 from the old Kargatane site

Young woman inherits: Name is Corin Lockwood
Faints when she arrives: Yes
Haunted by Specific Ancestor: Yes. Posessed on arrival by one (good?) ancestor to kill the big bad ancestor.
Nasty Ancestor Ghosts haunting parts of manor: Yes
Animated Armor: Sort of. See pg 68 of modlue

I couldn't find any 'ghosty' modules/adventures with a Violet/Violetta - the nearest was 'Haunting Violet' (a ghost/paranormal novel set the 1860's) or 'House of the Midnight Violet' (a 5e D&D one-off module where adventurers have to retrieve a flower from a haunted house). The next nearest was the old 'Ghost of Mistmoor' from Dungeon but that did't match your criteria sufficiently.

Hope it is of some use. If not, hopefully you don't start singing Daisy Bell. :gabrielle:
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Yes! That's it. Thank you.

Strange I could not find it myself, I have the Book of Sorrows as well. This is perhaps a bit more high level than my party can handle right now, but perhaps in the future this might be a good adventure.

Thanks again,

Jennifer
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Hey, welcome back :)

If I were you, and if I really liked an adventure, I would scale it down for my PC's level.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

What is the rough level and number of PC's are you looking at?
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi all,
I boosted my players to level 7 and then watched the madness unfold. Two of them stayed in the night, while they knew bad stuff would be happening then. They predictably died horribly (but bravely).
The other two watched from outside the grounds, recovered the bodies the next day. One of them was a pistoleer and imagined himself to be some sort of Tony Stark/ Iron Man. So he called in his research department with their new fangled "canons" and smashed the place to bits.

That was not enough. The next night the manor reappeared as some sort of solid illusion (sinces the ghosts were not really killed.

Then the last two survivors decided that discretion was the better part of valor and left! and sent a message to a high up friend in the Church of Ezra to sort it out.

I had a great time!

Jennifer
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Jennifer wrote:So he called in his research department with their new fangled "canons" and smashed the place to bits.
Ah, the Call of Cthulhu way of solving problems and sruviving :mrgreen:

Catacombs? Don't go in. Use Dynamite.
Ritual circle? Don't go in. Use Dynamite.
Cult HQ? Don't go in. Use Dynamite (with cultists inside).
House? Don't go in. Use Dynamite. (or cannons in this case).

And always make sure you have the highest movement rate.
You don't have to outrun the ghost, just outrun the other party members.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

DustBunny wrote:
Jennifer wrote:So he called in his research department with their new fangled "canons" and smashed the place to bits.
Ah, the Call of Cthulhu way of solving problems and sruviving :mrgreen:
And always make sure you have the highest movement rate.
You don't have to outrun the ghost, just outrun the other party members.
I left early in my first Call of Cthulhu game after being knocked out by crab-women. I consider myself lucky that the other players dragged my character out before torching the place.
The second time we ended the game with fire, we ended up fleeing werewolves rather than ghosts, but the principle was the same. Sadly, I was quite outrun.