Has anyone used Ravenloft with the Spheres System for PF?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Inuyasha
Conspirator
Conspirator

Has anyone used Ravenloft with the Spheres System for PF?

Post by Inuyasha »

Hi all! I really like the Pathfinder conversion for Ravenloft found here, and I've used it to great effect in the past! I thought I screwed it up pretty bad, but my players had a blast, and that's what counts, haha!

I had a random idea, and I figured this would be a good place to ask it. Has anyone considered using the Spheres of Might/Spheres of Power systems in a Ravenloft game? They're a bit more epic in scope sometimes, but I think they'd be fun to play up the dangers of grievous violence as a fighter, or allow for more proper spooky black magics at lower levels for those willing to risk it.

It wouldn't be hard to do per se, but I'm wondering if anyone's done it before.

And on a side note, I mostly lurk on these forums despite posting more commonly on others, but I'm happy these boards still get traffic, I think that's awesome :azalin:
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Has anyone used Ravenloft with the Spheres System for PF

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the Pathfinder conversions.

I have tried the Spheres system using the conversions of the traditional classes, rather than the new classes designed to interact with the sphere system.

It worked pretty well. Casters are less powerful and flexible, but are able to use their abilities more consistently, so overall it led to a slightly different feel which was slightly higher magic than my usual Pathfinder.

I'd also recommend (for Ravenloft at least) that you go through the powers in detail and make sure there's nothing that's out of theme for what you want, or that you can reskin to create the aesthetic you want. You can use it as a reward for levelling: anyone can e.g. learn Mind and Divination from level 1; Destruction is reskinned as psychic force; no one can learn Warp unless they gain access to the Fraternity of Shadow's secret vault of knowledge. Or whatever combinations work for you.

Good luck!
Inuyasha
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Has anyone used Ravenloft with the Spheres System for PF

Post by Inuyasha »

Oh wow! I wasn't expecting a response from you. :-o

Thank you so much for the feedback! I hadn't thought of keeping specific talents hidden as quest rewards, that's a good idea, and I'm already setting up a file for ideas :lol: