Alternate name for the Carnival?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Alternate name for the Carnival?

Post by Hazgarn »

Working on setting up a new campaign where the players are all members of a traveling circus. I've been trying to consistently use the word "circus" rather that "carnival" for the PC group, because they are eventually going to cross paths with Isolde and the Carnival at a few points, but there are bound to be slips and that's going to get confusing real quick...

Obviously the Carnival is not the only traveling troupe around. And I think the mystique of just calling it "the Carnival" might fall a bit flat with a group of (superficially) similar performers, even if a few of them have heard stories about the Carnival in particular. I've been thinking it over in circles and haven't come up with anything satisfactory yet. If you were going to give it a title to differentiate it, what would you use?
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Alternate name for the Carnival?

Post by Resonant Curse »

Carnival l'Morai is the original name. You could just use that. Might make people wonder why it has a place name that no one has ever heard of or why it has a place name if it is a traveling event.
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

I'd considered that, but in my skim of lore it seemed like that name would have negative associations for the original performers. But it's probably what I'll default to if I can't come up with anything else.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Isolde's Fabulous Funfair
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Here are some synonyms you can look through. There's some more a ways down.:
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/circus
Zujenia
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Zujenia »

Wicked Good Fun
nothri
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by nothri »

Marie's Carnival of Second Chances.
I'm just a ghost in this house.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Where does this second non-Carnival carnival originate? With that information you open up the possibility of adding culture to a name, ala Cirque du Soleil...

Who runs the show? With a name, or, with a little more background, you can start to include more "mom and pop" possibilities to the list of names. Thomas' Amusements, Mrs Felicity's Fabulous Funfair, etc.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

ewancummins wrote:Isolde's Fabulous Funfair
I honestly never saw this. Funny
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Izzy's Twisted Troupers :azalin:
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Weird World.

Weird World of X

Oddside Roadshow

Doctor Blyss' Fantastic Freakshow

Sot's Lot

Professor Frantisek's Marvelous Menagerie (con man with a legit journal who is hounded by Markovian agents behind the scenes)

Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

Sorry it's taken me a bit to reply. To clear up what I think might be a miscommunication on my part, I'm not looking for a name for the PC circus, but for a "full name" to use for the Carnival to avoid confusion. I'd already discarded "Carnival l'Morai" as too loaded, and didn't think putting Isolde in there by name would really suit her mystery or her role as the looming guardian of the Carnival.

I was mostly curious if there were any suggestions around the boards that might have a decent root in lore somewhere or another. Otherwise I'll just have to come up with one that was just evocative and neat.

The PC circus, btw, was named by player vote, and is going to be called "Solomon Feld's Circus Obscura of Darkon". They're an offshoot of Darkon's Three-Penny Circus (from I forget which netbook) that remained to tour exclusively within Darkon after the main troupe gained popularity elsewhere in the Core.

I might nab one of the unused names suggested by the players and call the Carnival the "Carnival of Light and Shadow".
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

nothri wrote:Marie's Carnival of Second Chances.
I like this, or simply "Carnival Marie" or "Cirque Marie" (I'll leave it to the native French speakers to correct the grammar.. is there a d' in there? or a du? or nothing?)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
nothri wrote:Marie's Carnival of Second Chances.
I like this, or simply "Carnival Marie" or "Cirque Marie" (I'll leave it to the native French speakers to correct the grammar.. is there a d' in there? or a du? or nothing?)
Carnaval de Marie
Cirque de Marie
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

No French-based/inspired carnival would be complete without an appearance of Bonhomme Carnaval...Ravenlofted of course! ;)

https://sanyasud.wordpress.com/2014/12/ ... -carnaval/