Forget Moreau, was it THIS guy who really inspired Markov?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Forget Moreau, was it THIS guy who really inspired Markov?

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Dr. Moreau seems like the obvious inspiration for Markov, but what if that's not the case? What if it was THIS GUY: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/arthur-nagan/4005-33415/

The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Forget Moreau, was it THIS guy who really inspired Marko

Post by The Lesser Evil »

He's even got the gorilla body wearing the coat to pretend human thing going on:

Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

I already posted by piece about Ivana Boritsi and Batman's Poison Ivy. I'd be more surprised if comic books weren't a major influence. People who like comic books and DnD DMs/creators are almost the same circle on a Venn diagram.

Nice spot though!
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

This gives me an impromptu idea: Doctor Markov's Apprentice!
Not every one of the lamordian settlers of Markovia was turned into test subjects, as one instead sold the others in exchange for his life, and tutelage at the feet of Markov. Markov was happy to use this traitor as a lab assitant, yet his promise to not experiment upon the young lad was for a limited time. Deciding that he could use a good body against those who had seen his ape-body form, he grafted his apprentices head onto the body of an ape, and has begun the surgeries to alter his face to look more like Markov.
Unlike Markov, the apprentice is not bond to the island and has begun to travel afar to entice more people to explore Markovia, both by the order of his master, and to slowly spin his web of revenge.
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jack the Reaper »

Wow! Definitely looks like Markov, and even the background is similar.
The Reaper's riddle:

"Im ata yachol likro et ze, ata yode'a et ha'emet."

If you can read it, you know the truth.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Background checks out. If this isn't the inspiration for Markov, then this goes down as one of the most bizarre coincidences that I've heard of, and I know some doozys.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:Background checks out. If this isn't the inspiration for Markov, then this goes down as one of the most bizarre coincidences that I've heard of, and I know some doozys.
Since Moreau was almost certainly the inspiration for the comic book character it would be surprising if there weren't similarities. Now he could have been the inspiration but even in that case Moreau would be a kind of indirect inspiration. IMO it is more likely Moreau was the direct inspiration as he is far more famous than a very obscure comic book character.