Goblinoids in the Mists

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Goblinoids in the Mists

Post by Mistmaster »

brilliantlight wrote:
Mistmaster wrote:My Forlorn, if you remember it is a bit different.http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... =1&t=10417
Rereading it , the history and culture is kind of vague or perhaps underdeveloped. I am not sure how the humans, the druids, the fey and the vampyres fit together in the big picture. How do they relate to each other and what differences, if any, do they have in their cultures? What, exactly, does Tristan want to fix in his domain? It isn't bad but I think a bit underdeveloped.
Fey? There aren't Fey in Forlorn, at least not a seizable population; Goblin culture is traditionalist and based around the concept of duty and honour; Goblins are reclusive and stick to theyr homelands, unless theyr tribe isn't in danger; theyr Shamanic Religion revolves around a number of ascended ancestors, and traditional rites and practices. The Druids are a part of the Forfarian priesthood, the one more focalized of the maintaining of Forfarian practices while Clerics are more progressive; The Vampyres are descendants of cursed Forfarian clans and they have been persecuted and hunted down. They tend to stick with theyr own families. Forfarian human culture revolve around the Clan, and around the Forfatian traditions, included vendettas and feuds. Vampyres are much ore less divided as a people united as the are to survive, at least until recently; theyr religion is a dualism, and they see life as balancing beetween D'vla and Kanchelsis.
Tristan isn't trying to fix the domain, he his trying to have his daughter back.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Mistmaster wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:
Mistmaster wrote:My Forlorn, if you remember it is a bit different.http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... =1&t=10417
Rereading it , the history and culture is kind of vague or perhaps underdeveloped. I am not sure how the humans, the druids, the fey and the vampyres fit together in the big picture. How do they relate to each other and what differences, if any, do they have in their cultures? What, exactly, does Tristan want to fix in his domain? It isn't bad but I think a bit underdeveloped.
Fey? There aren't Fey in Forlorn, at least not a seizable population; Goblin culture is traditionalist and based around the concept of duty and honour; Goblins are reclusive and stick to theyr homelands, unless theyr tribe isn't in danger; theyr Shamanic Religion revolves around a number of ascended ancestors, and traditional rites and practices. The Druids are a part of the Forfarian priesthood, the one more focalized of the maintaining of Forfarian practices while Clerics are more progressive; The Vampyres are descendants of cursed Forfarian clans and they have been persecuted and hunted down. They tend to stick with theyr own families. Forfarian human culture revolve around the Clan, and around the Forfatian traditions, included vendettas and feuds. Vampyres are much ore less divided as a people united as the are to survive, at least until recently; theyr religion is a dualism, and they see life as balancing beetween D'vla and Kanchelsis.
Tristan isn't trying to fix the domain, he his trying to have his daughter back.
The history is a bit vague too. I am not sure about the sides of the earlier war was it just a clan war for power started in a disgustingly brutal fashion or was something more important behind it? Since he only wants his daughter back how do things get worse? Is her life more miserable every time he tries to fix it or what?
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Mistmaster wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:My Forlorn, if you remember it is a bit different.http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... =1&t=10417

The history is a bit vague too. I am not sure about the sides of the earlier war was it just a clan war for power started in a disgustingly brutal fashion or was something more important behind it? Since he only wants his daughter back how do things get worse? Is her life more miserable every time he tries to fix it or what?

Well, indeed there is something more behind the clan war. What exactly, is something I wanted the DMs and players be able to figure out themselves, but I could give some dread possibility about it.
About his daughter, remember that he basically killed his daughter for power and revenge; he basically wants to keep everything he has now and to have her back. That is the key of the curse.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Mistmaster wrote:
Mistmaster wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:My Forlorn, if you remember it is a bit different.http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... =1&t=10417

Well, indeed there is something more behind the clan war. What exactly, is something I wanted the DMs and players be able to figure out themselves, but I could give some dread possibility about it.
About his daughter, remember that he basically killed his daughter for power and revenge; he basically wants to keep everything he has now and to have her back. That is the key of the curse.
Tristen is forever cursed with an obsession with the past; every night he will attempt to change the past only to get worse or equal results
What would Tristian consider "worse" , is his daughter tortured or does he lose power or what?
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Both.
kourkenko
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by kourkenko »

I use Hazlan.
Since the Red Wizard of Thay, inspired by Lotr, created variant orcs in the second edition, the red ones are army high officers and black orcs are assassins. I just did the same things for Hazlan. All guards and soldiers are orcs (and their variants).
For goblins, i decided some tribes left Tepest and migrated everywhere. With the high birth rate, it took them just a few decades to be present in any domain. Hobgobelins are in the far east. They are the mongols equivalent and Bugbears are goblins calibans.
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

kourkenko wrote:I use Hazlan.
Since the Red Wizard of Thay, inspired by Lotr, created variant orcs in the second edition, the red ones are army high officers
The Unapproachable East supplement for the Forgotten Realms had the Blooded One template, which are warriors enhanced by the Red Wizards using a ritual covering the creature in alchemically-treated blood. It sounds like they would fit pretty well in the role you're describing.
Above the conquered folk,
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Not the daimon, just a namesake.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Don't forget the Folkloric Fey template from Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey (page 16). I think that works for a lot of the monsters in Ravenloft.

kourkenko
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by kourkenko »

Alastor wrote:
kourkenko wrote:I use Hazlan.
Since the Red Wizard of Thay, inspired by Lotr, created variant orcs in the second edition, the red ones are army high officers
The Unapproachable East supplement for the Forgotten Realms had the Blooded One template, which are warriors enhanced by the Red Wizards using a ritual covering the creature in alchemically-treated blood. It sounds like they would fit pretty well in the role you're describing.
I took them directly from one of the forgotten realms bestiary since i don't own any sourcebook of the FR, i never like them, because level 20 characters are eveywhere, just take a random tree in a forest, kick it and a level 20 will fall to the ground, the world don't really need heroes, contrary to Ravenloft. Of course these characters will look at the party after beatting the bad guy "i knew you would do it, muhuhu, i'm so mysterious".
Not my cup of tea ^^.

IMC Hazlik is like Saroumane, creatin batchs of orcs which he then distributes to the noble houses. So he has eyes and daggers everywhere and it let players play orc or half-orc if they want.

For the folkloric fey. I've a hard time with the shadow fey, i prefer the Kobold Press take on them. Just my opinion of course.
rpgcasey
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by rpgcasey »

ewancummins wrote:In a previous, non-Ravenloft campaign, my goblins were evil spirits that possessed and transmogrified human children.
Dance, magic dance!
This might work in Tepest.
I'm not inclined to use the Shadow Fey, so I'd probably connecvt this with the hags instead.

In that same campaign, orcs were hive creatures sort of like the gargun of Harn, although the particulars were quite different. I got the idea from...
SPOILER for LORD OF THE RINGS
VIEW CONTENT:
the orcs going blind, dropping dead, or running amok after Sauron is destroyed and his control of them thus cut off. Tolkien compares it to an anthill in chaos after the queen is destroyed.
Hive orcs are fun, but in Ravenloft I would use the Marikith instead.

Did one of the 3E or 4E books make the Tergs into goblins?
Holy crap is that creepy and cool. But, when I read it I read it as: the spirits of bad children become reincarnated as goblins with all their memories.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Goblins playing very nasty but childish tricks....

I like it.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

So you can deal with them with a good spanking? :azalin: Or youcan put them in time-out.