Heroforge Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Heroforge Ravenloft

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

By the way, is there a lot of canon material on Alanik Ray and his cases?

Or are there some insightful articles about him in back issues of QtR?
I know his father turned out to be a criminal who Alanik brought to justice, and that Alanik is inspired by Sherlock Holmes, but I'd like to know a bit more than that if possible...
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Fixed :)

Ladies and gents, the not vain Alanik Ray (but still pouty):
Haha, the limitations of the medium! I like him pouty...
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Rock wrote:By the way, is there a lot of canon material on Alanik Ray and his cases?

I know his father turned out to be a criminal who Alanik brought to justice, and that Alanik is inspired by Sherlock Holmes, but I'd like to know a bit more than that if possible...
There's been a fair amount on him. His father, Ardal Ray, was a well-known merchant and businessman in Neblus that functioned as a black market trader and illegal narcotics dealer in secret. Previously living a privileged, upper class life in which in he admired his father, Alanik Ray discovered his father's dealings and tried to bring them to light. Ardal disinherited Alanik in response. Eventually, the contemporary baron of Neblus indited on tax evasion and drug dealing. Alanik Ray helped bring Ardal's crimes to light and dissolve Ardal's criminal empire. You can read more about this in Champions of the Mists and Ravenloft Gazetteer III, as well as his Mistipedia entry.

There are some tidbits here and ther about his casework, though usually only mentioned in passing. Some of Ray's other casework involved a hag killing prostitutes on the streets of Chateaufaux (the hag's entry in the Mistipedia is simply "the Hag of Chateaufaux" Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium 201-202) and investigating a different series of murders with one Lord Bouvard as a suspect (mentioned in Heroes of Light p. 50-51). Ratik Ubel had Alanik Ray investigate the identity of his murder in return for contributions to the Weathermay Twins' Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead, though Ray hasn't found anything conclusive. He also confronted Toben the Many once in Allendine (mentioned in Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead), and Alanik Ray is one of the few beings Toben fears. Alanik Ray has also investigating another Walking Dead known as the Hungry Ghost (menitoned in VRGttWD p. 50), and he has also been involved in at least one actual ghost hunt (mentioned in Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts/Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium II).

Ray's casework as the chief constable of Martira Bay earned him the wrath of the Kargat. Then chief Tavelia sent Lady Kazandra after him. Ray escaped and left Kazandra with a missing eye, but he got the message and left Darkon for Port-a-Lucine, where he now works as a consulting detective. There, he was responsible for chasing out the humorously named Noble Brotherhood of Assassins (as in, character assassination). There, he chased out the humorously named Brotherhood of Noble Assassins (as in, character assassination.) Another issue of concern and question of inquiry for Ray is the fate of his friend and ally Rudolph van Richten.

Most of the names above have Mistipedia entries that provide source/page references. He has profiles in Bleak House, Gaz III, and Champions of the Mists.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I have reworked hin as a human of distant elven ancestry Alan Ray, and tied him to Dominic's backround.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

The Lesser Evil wrote:
Rock wrote:By the way, is there a lot of canon material on Alanik Ray and his cases?

There's been a fair amount on him. His father, Ardal Ray, was a well-known merchant and businessman in Neblus that functioned as a black market trader and illegal narcotics dealer in secret. Previously living a privileged, upper class life in which in he admired his father, Alanik Ray discovered his father's dealings and tried to bring them to light. Ardal disinherited Alanik in response. Eventually, the contemporary baron of Neblus indited on tax evasion and drug dealing. Alanik Ray helped bring Ardal's crimes to light and dissolve Ardal's criminal empire. You can read more about this in Champions of the Mists and Ravenloft Gazetteer III, as well as his Mistipedia entry.

There are some tidbits here and ther about his casework, though usually only mentioned in passing. Some of Ray's other casework involved a hag killing prostitutes on the streets of Chateaufaux (the hag's entry in the Mistipedia is simply "the Hag of Chateaufaux" Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium 201-202) and investigating a different series of murders with one Lord Bouvard as a suspect (mentioned in Heroes of Light p. 50-51). Ratik Ubel had Alanik Ray investigate the identity of his murder in return for contributions to the Weathermay Twins' Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead, though Ray hasn't found anything conclusive. He also confronted Toben the Many once in Allendine (mentioned in Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead), and Alanik Ray is one of the few beings Toben fears. Alanik Ray has also investigating another Walking Dead known as the Hungry Ghost (menitoned in VRGttWD p. 50), and he has also been involved in at least one actual ghost hunt (mentioned in Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts/Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium II).

Ray's casework as the chief constable of Martira Bay earned him the wrath of the Kargat. Then chief Tavelia sent Lady Kazandra after him. Ray escaped and left Kazandra with a missing eye, but he got the message and left Darkon for Port-a-Lucine, where he now works as a consulting detective. There, he was responsible for chasing out the humorously named Noble Brotherhood of Assassins (as in, character assassination). There, he chased out the humorously named Brotherhood of Noble Assassins (as in, character assassination.) Another issue of concern and question of inquiry for Ray is the fate of his friend and ally Rudolph van Richten.

Most of the names above have Mistipedia entries that provide source/page references. He has profiles in Bleak House, Gaz III, and Champions of the Mists.
I'm sure Ryan Naylor said that either Arthur is in love with Ray, or they're in a low-key relationship.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

This is an attempt at 3.5 Strahd
Attachments
Strahd screenshot - Reduced.png
Strahd screenshot - Reduced.png (134.79 KiB) Viewed 28487 times
Above the conquered folk,
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Not the daimon, just a namesake.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

He reminds me of 4e Strahd, too, but a fine effort. ^_^
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Attachments
george weathermay.jpg
george weathermay.jpg (68.99 KiB) Viewed 28475 times

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ooh, nicely done!
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

That horse has seen some things...
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Note it seems to be looking right at us... :roll:
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Something about 3.5 Strahd's pose-- he looks like he's about to say "Oh snap!" while throwing shade.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Nostalia Romaine. A tricky one, the expression still isn't where I'd like
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D11560215/
Attachments
nostalia romaine.jpg
nostalia romaine.jpg (44.52 KiB) Viewed 28441 times

Pizza
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Pizza »

Thanks for sharing. This seems like a good tool though I wish there were more options available.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Pizza wrote:Thanks for sharing. This seems like a good tool though I wish there were more options available.
They've already updated it in the week I've been playing with it the hobby is taking off and they have improved a great deal over the last year, so no telling what else they'll add. It is certainly tough to translate, but they need more options for making faces prettier...poor Ms Romaine isn't lovely enough, but she has big hands and that might be enough to get the job done!