It is back!!! What we do know about VR Guide to Ravenloft?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Re: It is back!!! What we do know about VR Guide to Ravenlof

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Resonant Curse wrote:@Dion Where did you find the Project Pomegranate thing? There is no title on DM's Guild with that name.
As per K. Baker's tweet, it's still in the works.

Also, here's what James Lowder (author of the Ravenloft "Black Rose" series of novels and Sithicus's post-Soth mastermind) had to say earlier today:
james lowder.jpg
james lowder.jpg (60.18 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

I'll chime in as a long time fan from way back (Red Box baby!).

I always had a number of issues with the setting. While teenage me thought it was cool to have players face of with Frankenstein and his monster or Dracula (be it Bram Stoker's vampiric interpretation or the history books' version), my adult self felt conflicted about the setting and its overuse of tropes and adherence to the AD&D moral compass.

I recall debates on the old mailing list (remember those?) where players would argue about how "historically gothic" RL should be along with the DP's views and agenda. The historical re-enactment crowd vs. the casual gamers conflict would always come back and lead to a sort of "Well, do what you like - but it isn't my RL!" conclusion.

Topics such as gender roles, racism, and religion would come up along with never ending fights over what good and evil really mean in a place as diverse as RL.

I'm not against the removal of "morality play" mechanics (I always had problems with them) but they were an integral part of the game for some time and am curious to see how they, if any, are integrated.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Polygon just released a preview of Har'Akir, though they got the darklord's name wrong.

Here's how the Pharaoh looks like now.
Polygon? Reporting on something but getting things wrong? Surely not!

That entire site is hot garbage.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Well, I've gone ahead and ordered my copy.
I'm too curious now not to, and as several wise people have said: I can take what I like and leave the rest by the wayside.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Also, here's what James Lowder (author of the Ravenloft "Black Rose" series of novels and Sithicus's post-Soth mastermind) had to say earlier today:
james lowder.jpg
Well put by Mr. Lowder... worth a share from us...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Also, here's what James Lowder (author of the Ravenloft "Black Rose" series of novels and Sithicus's post-Soth mastermind) had to say earlier today:
james lowder.jpg
This is exactly what the DarkDuo said over Champions of Darkness and back then we held them to account. Why is it acceptable for this book, but not CoD, which was awful?
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Well, we don't know it'll be as bad as CoD.
At least they seem to have taken a serious effort... Let's wait and see.
My copy should arrive the 18th, and if I hate it, I'll say so. And if there's actually useful stuff in it, maybe we can have fun constructing AUs. :wink:

Whatever happens, I am neither abandoning the Core as a central theme, nor PF 1E as my system of choice, so there's that.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:
james lowder.jpg
This is exactly what the DarkDuo said over Champions of Darkness and back then we held them to account. Why is it acceptable for this book, but not CoD, which was awful?
Not sure about you but I am ultimately pulling bits and pieces from Champions of Darkness even in my current campaign, while I'm not obviously using some of the more absurd Sheriff Von Zarovich, I've grabbed and altered the Ebon Gargoyle for my games, as well as used the NPC Estiban in one of my past campaigns. :) I am aware that at the time it came out it was panned and the idea behind the book was probably fatally flawed.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:This is exactly what the DarkDuo said over Champions of Darkness and back then we held them to account. Why is it acceptable for this book, but not CoD, which was awful?
For one thing, we haven't read this book yet, we're pouncing on crumbs. For another, that was the DarkDuo defending what was, if not their own work, at least done on their watch. This is more of Lowder, who worked on the original stuff, essentially giving his blessing to the new stuff, or at least to the concept of changing the old stuff. He doesn't have anything to gain from the new book being successful, but is being magnanimous about it, rather than defensive and gatekeeping. For another, CoD contradicted stuff from what was ostensibly the same product line, without seeming to care much (a failing of editing/developing, regardless of the absolute quality of the writing, if there is such a thing.) This is clearly a deliberate change and a fresh start for the setting, as the writers have been clear and upfront about in their interviews. Not to mention that we as a community were probably overly harsh on CoD at the time too, to be honest; there are some good ideas therein amongst the bad. And even if were objectively the worst book published with the Ravenloft logo, (maybe it is, I've got other nominees) Lowder's advice stands... don't use it. Don't buy it. Sell or burn your copy if you did. Post a negative review to warn others. But savaging the writers personally is IMHO never necessary. I reject the idea that we as a fandom have to hold creators "accountable" for what we don't like. They're not war criminals, they're just writers.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:This is exactly what the DarkDuo said over Champions of Darkness and back then we held them to account. Why is it acceptable for this book, but not CoD, which was awful?
For one thing, we haven't read this book yet, we're pouncing on crumbs. For another, that was the DarkDuo defending what was, if not their own work, at least done on their watch. This is more of Lowder, who worked on the original stuff, essentially giving his blessing to the new stuff, or at least to the concept of changing the old stuff. He doesn't have anything to gain from the new book being successful, but is being magnanimous about it, rather than defensive and gatekeeping. For another, CoD contradicted stuff from what was ostensibly the same product line, without seeming to care much (a failing of editing/developing, regardless of the absolute quality of the writing, if there is such a thing.) This is clearly a deliberate change and a fresh start for the setting, as the writers have been clear and upfront about in their interviews. Not to mention that we as a community were probably overly harsh on CoD at the time too, to be honest; there are some good ideas therein amongst the bad. And even if were objectively the worst book published with the Ravenloft logo, (maybe it is, I've got other nominees) Lowder's advice stands... don't use it. Don't buy it. Sell or burn your copy if you did. Post a negative review to warn others. But savaging the writers personally is IMHO never necessary. I reject the idea that we as a fandom have to hold creators "accountable" for what we don't like. They're not war criminals, they're just writers.
Well said GonzoRon!

I'm not thrilled about some of the changes, but as Mr Lowder said, take what you like, leave the rest. I'm also a bit of an obsessionist when it comes to canon, but what does 'canon' really mean at the end of the day? So I personally will not be abandoning the Core or Vlad Drakov for eg, but I certainly might incorporate the changes to Lamordia, as I never really loved it in its initial iteration and even the 3rd edition vibe. There are things I've seen so far that I personally like; Har'Akir seems like it will have more bones on it, the aforementioned Lamordia, and even the new take on Dementlieu seems more interesting than I thought initially. Maybe I'll go with the changes but maybe change Saidra to Celesete Loverde instead or something.

I'm honestly getting a lot more excited about the product as we get closer to release time, even if I find some change curious, superfluous, or a little of both.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

What Ron and Firan said. Give the book a chance before firing it.

Not a fan (AFAWK) of all the new changes, but hey, look at it like reading a new version of Alice in Wonderland. Surely there will be a twist you will like.

My PCs will soon (well ...) go to Har'Akir, and I'm very curious to see their version and reboot.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I would agree if this was a book like Tasha's or Xanathar's, where it is purely optional material, but this is the continuation of a setting that has 30+ years of established lore and story. Changing it for the sake of change, ignoring what has come before isn't refreshing or dynamic, it's lazy and money grabbing.

If they had reset the setting to 735. but kept aspects like the Twins, that would be interesting and attention grabbing. But gutting the basic geography of the setting, removing darklords, changing domains so they no longer resemble their established lore, that's not something to celebrate. If I spend, what? £30-£40 on a book for an established setting, I should not be being told that "If you don't like it, you can ignore it."

That's lazy, that's a cop-out and it's a phrase designed to shut out criticism.

I bought Xanthar's because I wanted new options for classes. I'm not likely to ever use the part on traps, but I don't mind its there. I'm planning on getting Tasha's for the options too, and will ignore the sections on "create a race", because, again, it holds no interest for me. But if I'm buying a book for an established setting I want updated information on the setting, which continues a story built over 3 editions of a game. I don't want to have it all ignored. I don't want to be told, "You can use your old books." Because of course I can, but why say that when you are trying to move a product, whether because you published it or because you're reviewing it.

If they released a guide to Krynn, but instead of what the Chronicles and Legends have set up, they ignore it and say, "The fiery mountain fell on Krynn, but it wiped out all Palanthas and Istar and made the continent of Ansalon an archipelago, then afterwards magic was celebrated and the towers open to all" people would be in uproar, and this is the equivalent happening to Ravenloft. Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft is the Ghostbusters 2016 of D&D: It's only using an established IP because the writers and developers are either too lazy or too untalented to come up with their own. They'd rather change existing characters and domains because they aren't creative enough to come up with their own.

I get authors wanting to leave their mark on the setting, it's why we got the god-awful Order of the Ebon Gargoyle and CoD mess. But there are ways to do it that complement the canon rather than destroy it. Look at Rogue One, for example. It didn't rewrite the original trilogy, but it complimented it and added to the story, and was a damn good film to boot. Look at Battlestar Galactica, which took the original premise and created something incredible. And the common thread with both is that they both respected the source material.

Nothing Wizards has put out, no press release or interview, has convinced me that the people writing this respect the older material. They look at it, deem it "problematic" and rather than find creative and interesting ways to remove those aspects, they run roughshod over the story and put in their own characters.

Dominic, with his curse and personality, would have been an amazingly interesting way to explore themes surrounding the #metoo movement, and gender roles and politics in general. They could have steered the domain into personal horror and oppression through misogyny. It had the potential to be really good. But instead, we have a discount Sanguinia with a new female Darklord ruling a domain that is not Demenlieu.

Telling me I should buy a book and then ignore potentially up to 80-90% of the material because is a ridiculous stance to take.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Look, I get it, you don't like the changes. I don't like a lot of them either, but where we part ways is this:
Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:It's only using an established IP because the writers and developers are either too lazy or too untalented to come up with their own. They'd rather change existing characters and domains because they aren't creative enough to come up with their own.
WotC owns the IP. It's been sitting fallow for years. It's a business decision to make use of it, now that the low hanging fruit of 5e is largely done. That doesn't make it instantly bad. The company prospers by putting out products people want to buy. That includes old fans brought in by nostaligia for a name they know and new fans looking for something different. That's why the book was made. I don't think a writer coming to WotC and pitching their own take on WotC's IP would make it through the door. Some product architect said "let's do Ravenloft." THEN they hired/assigned writers to do it. The writers came in, and some of them at least knew the setting deeply. Wes Schneider has articles in the Book of S___ series, for goodness sakes. He's no Johnny-come-lately. Chris Perkins worked closely with the Hickmans on CoS. They surely sat down and said, what do we like, what do we not like? What doesn't fly these days like it did then? What fits the 5e design philosophy, etc. etc. And in the end, these changes are what they came up with. I think it's reductive to insult their talent and motives just because what they came up with isn't what you wanted them to.
Look at Rogue One, for example. It didn't rewrite the original trilogy, but it complimented it and added to the story, and was a damn good film to boot.
Tell that to the EU fans who know that Kyle Katarn stole the Death Star plans. Star Wars "history" has been written and re-written more than once.
Look at Battlestar Galactica, which took the original premise and created something incredible. And the common thread with both is that they both respected the source material.
That's an excellent example of what I'm hoping for here. This is a reboot, just like BSG was, not a continuation like you and I and most of the gang here would prefer it to be. But a reboot can be great, like BSG. Gender-swapping Starbuck and Boomer and changing up the nature of the cylons wasn't lazy or over-woke or disrespectful of the source material. They were part of the reworking of the story for a new generation.
Nothing Wizards has put out, no press release or interview, has convinced me that the people writing this respect the older material. They look at it, deem it "problematic" and rather than find creative and interesting ways to remove those aspects, they run roughshod over the story and put in their own characters.
we're going to have to agree to disagree here, because I take the interviews I've seen very differently.
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

I've more or less given up on 'continuity' or 'canon', but this approach to the setting looks to be stripping out much of what I liked--the Gothic atmosphere, the classic monster archetypes, the moral underpinnings, the overall aesthetic--and doubling-down on elements of the setting that I never much cared for, such as the parallels to real-life fortunetelling elements and the Gnostic/Sadean idea of the world as evil and irrational. Further, it's pushing very hard on the "D&D horror" pole of the setting, which is something I've never been that fond of--I'd rather tweak D&D to fit into Gothic fantasy than tweak the Gothic and horror elements to fit into D&D. Between that and my general distaste for 5E and WotC, I think I'm going to be giving this a miss, although I admit to morbid curiosity about a handful of elements.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

I agree thet there is no reason to insult the writters as this is probably a WotC decision to reboot the setting. I don't know if Wes Schneider came up with the idea of a non-Core setting or if it was a WotC decision from the beginning. In my opinion it was a poor decision as most of us here probably agree, as I ve said before in another post it seems more like a themed weekend in hell kind of a step back to the setting. If it is explained as a result of Azalin's latest attempt to escape Ravenloft, as most likely now he roams around as an ex-Darklord would be OK in continuation but still disappointing in my opinion, as an easy rewrite of the setting. I agree that to buy a book and not use most of the info in there is really disappointing and a bit desprespectful to all of those have been supporting the setting all these years (meaning since it's beginning, not necessarily in FoS). For me to produce a product after so many years and have fans of the setting being sceptical about buying it means the product has failed it's expectations. If I end up buying it, it will probably buy more out of a collective obsession than of what it offers as a product, since I don't play 5E, so new darklord stats and game mechanics don't interest me. I believe it should be more balanced as a book in a way of reintroducing the setting to new audiences but also being respectful to what has been done before. I agree that I see the rebooting more as a way to make money but I guess that's what a multinational company as Hasbro sole goal is. So I accept that (...) then using the 5-10% they offered me. :mrgreen:

EDITED BY JOEL to remove illegal activities proposals. Guys, you know the FoS boards rules, play with them please.

Mephisto sais:
Sorry... (it's my impish nature)

JOEL: Next time, you'll have to copy it a hundred times. :)

Mephisto sais: That's easy... (Copy) (Paste) :Brain:
Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Wed May 05, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe