Jester's Review of Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Jester's Review of Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft

Post by alhoon »

About the "time wasted"
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

I loved reading about Soth. I like discussing Soth and Tiyet with my sister. I like discussing Richemulot with online friends. Soth was side-lined in 3e Ravenloft and I didn't mind that much. Sithicus was the one with Soth in it for me. Richemulot 3e had a hint of a plague. Now it has a plague. I need to rework that plague, but I like the idea.
I am all for cherry picking what you like from the domains. After all, at this point in my life it is more of an academic discussion for me since I play in homebrew worlds - heavily influenced by Ravenloft. And now, there's more of Ravenloft to be influenced from. There's more of Ravenloft to discuss with my friends about.
Drinnik Shoehorn wrote: They know they can’t crow about Vladeska, Viktra or Sadira because they are inferior to Vlad, Victor and Dominic.
Dominic is gone? Good.
I never liked the guy. He had his moments but was one of the weakest backstory darklords there IMO. One of the few darklords I actually used, but one I never felt anything about except apathy. A boring darklord. Same with Ivan Disilnya which, I think, is still there. At least Ivan had the implied family-love thing.
Last edited by alhoon on Thu May 20, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:
Drinnik Shoehorn wrote: They know they can’t crow about Vladeska, Viktra or Sadira because they are inferior to Vlad, Victor and Dominic.
Dominic is gone? Good.
I never liked the guy. He had his moments but was one of the weakest backstory darklords there IMO. Same with Ivan Disilnya which, I think, is still there.
I always preferred the challenge of taking something where people say "I never liked that guy" and reframing them or providing a new hook so people instead say "I never liked that guy... before!"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Yes.
But I will also use Dominic. Boring and bland = I can stick him everywhere. An excellent manipulator with the ability use suggestion and charm with his voice. Not original, bland.
And sometimes, when you want to populate your Illuminati-wannabe secret society, bland and unoriginal is good.

But I am totally going for a Dominic-like boss that has 12 brains-in-a-jar connected in a big psionic battery and does Brain/Dominic stuff, always afraid the brains will break free from their inhibitors and take him one day.
And I didn't have that idea from the old brain. I had that idea from reading the half-page Brain-in-a-jar part.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

Meh.

There a a few good bits in the new book, but overall I recommend saving your money.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Jester of the FoS wrote:
Thrackazoggg wrote:From the review...
But this book goes a step farther referring to Ez “replacing her leg with a splendid prosthetic after a werewolf attack.” Emphasis added. Wizards of the Coast really, really want readers to know they’re sorry for even accidentally implying people should be ashamed for having an artificial limb. You can almost picture the author proudly gesturing to the page like a child eager for praise and a pat on the head.

I’m sorry WotC. The people attacking you on Twitter for ableism aren’t going to stop. They’ll just find some other reason to be mad at you. Online critics who have found an audience from being anti-D&D aren’t going to change their position.
Can't begin to explain how ***** a take this is.
Removing the line about Ez hiding her prosthetic leg was fine. I support that heartily.
But that like really jumped out. Has anyone ever described a prosthetic leg as "splendid"? It's such a weird choice of adjective.
It's very much a purposeful line meant draw attention to the treatment of Ez.

Most of WotC's critics are reasonable and will acknowledge their efforts. Even without "splendid prosthetics."
But having spent time on Twitter in the past there's quite a few who won't care. They hate WotC and nothing the company does to try and make things right. They'll only see the flaws and failures.
WotC can bend over backwards to rewrite problematic passages, increase diversity, and present positive examples. And Tweeters will still call out #FireMikeMearls, invoke Orion Black, or claim WotC is ableist, racist, homophobic and more.

With VRGtR WotC is trying really, really hard to garner positive publicity and silence their critics. But that won't work. The critics have their audience of people following them because they hate WotC; taking back their criticisms or even praising WotC will cost them followers and clout. It risks their audience. So they'll just double down on the hate.

Which really upsets me because they spent far more time trying to win over their detractors and silence their critics than focusing on the fans. On us. Seeking the praise was a more important goal.
I see another side as well, which is the army of bootlickers (the "Ye Olde Grandma Rule" will only scramble what I really call them, so that word will do) that seemingly exist to heap nothing but praise on the Wizards team, whether they deserve it or not. Every release is the best of 5E, always quick to jump in and stomp down any bit of criticism aimed at their master's way (like with everything, some is bunk and some is legit, but all is bunk to these clowns).. you know the type because they're everywhere.

I've said it before, but why they (Wizards team) focus on anything but the game itself is beyond me. Drop the ego, put down your phones/ignore social media (when you're on the clock), and focus on creativity. That's fan service. Muck the trolls and the slaves, equally.

I'm still waiting on my copy of VRGtR, but if the last couple of books are anything to judge by, 5E (creatively) is starting to weaken. To the point where I really don't want them to port Dark Sun. Seriously.

Work you and personal you rarely ever adds up to the same number, so stop fooling yourself into thinking it does. You're just mucking up the equation...
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
TheSalemlord
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by TheSalemlord »

Thanks for the Review Jester.

Right now, I don't know what to feel about that book... I wanted it so badly. Now I'm in doubt. My heart feels crushed...
I feel like... I must forget everything I've read, and played... to enjoy this... "New" Ravenloft. :(
Jester of the FoS

TheSalemlord wrote:Thanks for the Review Jester.

Right now, I don't know what to feel about that book... I wanted it so badly. Now I'm in doubt. My heart feels crushed...
I feel like... I must forget everything I've read, and played... to enjoy this... "New" Ravenloft. :(
Yeah. I was crushed as well. I had to write a whole separate blog just to get that out otherwise it would have dominated the review.
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

I feel crushed too. And I only got into Ravenloft three years ago, when we first picked up Curse of Strahd. I'm definitely not going to forget everything I've read though. It's far too rich and full of possibility.

— onmyoji
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Since 4th edition I've generally just wanted Wizards to just leave any exisiting campaign settings alone because they've generally trashed the lore or plot of every setting since (Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Spelljammer every reference that has shown up, Planescape).
TheSalemlord
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by TheSalemlord »

Jester of the FoS wrote:

Yeah. I was crushed as well. I had to write a whole separate blog just to get that out otherwise it would have dominated the review.
I would like to read it as well.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Resonant Curse wrote:Since 4th edition I've generally just wanted Wizards to just leave any exisiting campaign settings alone because they've generally trashed the lore or plot of every setting since (Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Spelljammer every reference that has shown up, Planescape).
For Editiön Dark Sun was good in moh.
Jester of the FoS

TheSalemlord wrote:
Jester of the FoS wrote:

I would like to read it as well.
It's on the same site:
http://www.5mwd.com/archives/6621

It echoes a lot of what I've said elsewhere here but also goes into some personal struggles and drama, so it's not a happy read
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Mistmaster wrote:
Resonant Curse wrote:Since 4th edition I've generally just wanted Wizards to just leave any exisiting campaign settings alone because they've generally trashed the lore or plot of every setting since (Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Spelljammer every reference that has shown up, Planescape).
For Editiön Dark Sun was good in moh.

Metal became way more common (see their Abyssal Plague tie in novel) and the rework of how defiling works to drain life from creatures as the standard where that was a very hard to learn skill in 2nd/3rd edition were major problems. That and resetting the campaign setting timeline to after the first novel and basically ignoring the rest of the novel line were problematic.
TheSalemlord
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by TheSalemlord »

@Jester,
Man, you've been through a lot.

About the VRGtR, I definitely share your thoughts. Thanks for Sharing.
TheSalemlord
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by TheSalemlord »

I dunno why...but I think I got something screwed in the code when I tried to reply :? :shock: ...Admin Help?