Night of the walking dead: under the blood moon

Discussing all things Ravenloft
kourkenko
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Night of the walking dead: under the blood moon

Post by kourkenko »

I think the first module was a great introduction for Ravenloft, with several vilains, plots and, beside the Mc Guffin at the end to let the players win (which i changed after my first run), it is a great module.

Since our old team is back is business after years of hiatus, i will begin a new campaign soon and what is better than begin again with a sequel made 20 years afte the first one. To the ones who don't know it, it is in the Dm Guild.
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/305267 ... loody-Moon

The scenari is good, and a work of love. The author also made a gazeeter on Souragne, which is also very good and makes the timeline evolve (everything WotC haven't done with their last book). Everything is good beside two things.

First, the size of the domain, it is very little and tied to the second one: the darklord itself. I have no probelm with Anton Misroi himself but rather his lack of action.

For the size, their are loooot of dangers and ennemies (and new ones coming with the gazeeter). I mean in the canon, we had
Myxitizajal, the Ixitxachtil vampire (CotN Vampires)
Sandover, Werecrocodile (CotN Werebeats) and with him, a lost village with crocodile men.
Dernier Souper (a sleeping dragon :shock: coming from the gazeeter, the author said it was in the canon but i can't find it anywhere)
Without forgotting the enormous army of zombies sleeping at the bottom of the swamp (and the new sickness coming from the Walking Dead comic :lol: ), the numerous predator (giant frogs, crocodile etc), the flora which is also dangerous without forgotting sickness, fever and insects.
And two npcs i created for the domain because my players loved to come back in Souragne (a wereleech and a werestrige)

All of this is condensed in a territory that can be crossed in less than 5 hours from on side to another... I don't mind enlarging the domain but, since my players are seasonned and experimented it when it was little, i will need to find why Misroi decided to act and how.

And it's difficult to find a way for it because Misroi is one of the very few darklords that broke their curse. He is back to life, have all powers over life and death, can cast all necromancy spells ever created and can leave his domain when he wants. His force of will even prevented the dark powers to put his domain into a cluster (and yes, everything here is canon) because he didn't liked what he discovered during his travel :shock: .
Now with the gazeeter, he also have another darklord at his feets (a captain of a steam ship) and killed the maiden of the swamp (it was expected). So why should he decided to enlarge his dominion and how he did it ?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Night of the walking dead: under the blood moon

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Might I suggest our own Gaz of Souragne as supplemental material?

I don't have much specific to offer, but I recall a weird tidbit from one of the old 2e sources that said the Dark Powers would have made Souragne part of the Core, but Misroi preferred to be isolated and kept it that way through sheer force of will. An odd undermining of the DP's absolute power over the demiplane, but in an intriguing one.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
kourkenko
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: Night of the walking dead: under the blood moon

Post by kourkenko »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Might I suggest our own Gaz of Souragne as supplemental material?

I don't have much specific to offer, but I recall a weird tidbit from one of the old 2e sources that said the Dark Powers would have made Souragne part of the Core, but Misroi preferred to be isolated and kept it that way through sheer force of will. An odd undermining of the DP's absolute power over the demiplane, but in an intriguing one.
I utterly forgot this one... :shock: I 'll read it again.

And yes, Misroi was a very weak darklords at the very beginning of the setting before being put in highlight by the novel "Dance of the Dead", if i remember correctly it was the "domain of dread" book that changed him. I find him an interesting character, underused and underdeveloped. I need ideas ^^ i am rusted :P

I was thinking about the new falkovnia, he could be the main force behind the zombie apocalypse hitting the domain. The daughter of drakov tried to conquer his domain but the Lord of the Dead, not magnanimous as Azalin, decided to eradicate the domain of falkovnia that appeared alonside his own when he pushed the soldiers inside the misty border. He has access to unlimited number of undead, can even animate the ones already killed and so on.