Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

The_God_Brain wrote:
The Nightmare Man wrote:
It's a well known fact now, that the illithids originated in the Far Realm,
Eh, that is hinted at in The Illithiad, but not confirmed. In fact, it is given as one of several possible senarios that account for the origin of the Illithid race. While it might make sense, its still far from a "well known fact".
Actually, I was referring to that notion that most DMs (not all :P) consider the possibility that the illithids originated in the Far Realm... to be fact. I should have made that clear... :oops:.

Anyways, what do you think of the illeth/illithid origin detailed in the Unveiled Masters tome G-B? Will you be incorporating any of those elements into your interpretation for the God-Brain?
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
The_God_Brain
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The_God_Brain »

The Nightmare Man wrote:
Actually, I was referring to that notion that most DMs (not all :P) consider the possibility that the illithids originated in the Far Realm... to be fact. I should have made that clear... :oops:.

Anyways, what do you think of the illeth/illithid origin detailed in the Unveiled Masters tome G-B? Will you be incorporating any of those elements into your interpretation for the God-Brain?[/quote]

I'm not familiar with it, so no. I'll look into it now that you've suggested it though and let you know :-)
[url]http://www.soundclick.com/godbrain[/url] check out my music.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

The_God_Brain wrote:
Mangrum wrote:
The_God_Brain wrote:Yes
Sigh. No, that's not what it says.
Yes, in fact it is. Someone else already beat me to QUOTING IT EXACTLY OUT OF THE TEXT, and CITING THE PAGE. God, thats freakin' hillarious.
This:
I believe it is something about wanting to experience true emotions and feelings.
…is what you agreed the book said, and decried as “kind of lame.” But that is not this:
More than anything else, the God-brain desires experiences - to move; to breathe; to truly live.
…which is the quote from the book, as you noted.

I know it's a fine nuance, the difference between "can't feel emotion" and "can't go for a walk," but you appear to have missed it.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I don't mind a little heated discussion, but try to keep it from getting all flamey, it is getting quiite close to that.
Swallow your soul!
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

In addition, the following questions will be answered...
1. What is the God Brain's curse?
I always had my own theory of this. The God-Brain is located in a deep cavern in a briny pool. Well, I always though that perhaps the God-Brain filled this cavern and pool completely. And the only way for the God-Brain to become more powerful is to subsume more brains into itself. Well, it can't do that, because it can't risk growing larger than it's *cage,* so to speak. So it is stymied in it's growth. I always said that it couldn't just "create" more salt-water and a larger cave, either.
That of course, adds with the fact that it is cut off from the Astral Plane, where most Elder Brains shunt their masses off to.
The_God_Brain
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The_God_Brain »

Mangrum wrote:
The_God_Brain wrote:
Mangrum wrote: Sigh. No, that's not what it says.
Yes, in fact it is. Someone else already beat me to QUOTING IT EXACTLY OUT OF THE TEXT, and CITING THE PAGE. God, thats freakin' hillarious.
This:
I believe it is something about wanting to experience true emotions and feelings.
…is what you agreed the book said, and decried as “kind of lame.” But that is not this:
More than anything else, the God-brain desires experiences - to move; to breathe; to truly live.
…which is the quote from the book, as you noted.

I know it's a fine nuance, the difference between "can't feel emotion" and "can't go for a walk," but you appear to have missed it.
Gosh, Mangrum. The frustration is palpable. It must be terrible for you to have to converse with people on a message board where you don't have the power to ban them when they say things that you don't like.

Furthermore, to "truly live" implies feeling emotions. At least, it does for the rest of us. And it did for just about everyone else here on the board who read it. If it was a misinterpretation, I suppose several of us are guilty. Maybe the text should have been more clear...or maybe it was something that was open to individual interpretation?

Whether the God Brain is pouting because It can't feel emotions or can't ride a bike doesn't really matter...i think its kind of lame so I don't use it in my game world. I'm proposing an alternate scheme for using The God Brain and the illithid. It is entirely possible that people will dislike my ideas, in part or whole. Thats fine. I don't take it personally.

In any event, you are splitting hairs. You were wrong and someone pointed it out to you, and you can't just admit it. We could keep doing this here, but we won't. At least, I won't. I suppose you can do whatever you want. Except ban me.
The_God_Brain
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The_God_Brain »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:I don't mind a little heated discussion, but try to keep it from getting all flamey, it is getting quiite close to that.
Yes, you are correct. I submit that in the future, I will simply ignore insulting posts, rather than respond to them as I did above.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

The_God_Brain wrote:Gosh, Mangrum. The frustration is palpable.
Explain how your outburst is warranted. You agreed with a claim; I pointed out that said claim was wrong. It was wrong.

Was it the "Sigh" that set you off on what is becoming a rather lengthy tirade?
The_God_Brain wrote:It must be terrible for you to have to converse with people on a message board where you don't have the power to ban them when they say things that you don't like.
Yes, it's pretty bad not being able to ban you, like I did back at the Goat.

Oh, no, wait, I never did ban you. Who did I ban? Oh yeah, the guy who boasted about his gay-bashing and the guy who spent a year methodically recording my every post in a vast conspiracy theory while planning to physically attack me. Yes, a fine, fine circle of peers you seem to want to draw around yourself.
The_God_Brain wrote:Furthermore, to "truly live" implies feeling emotions. At least, it does for the rest of us.
And what does "to move and breathe" mean to the rest of us, pray tell? Since I, having written the passage in question, apparently meant to say that the God-Brain craves to feel emotion (a word nowhere in its description), why did I preface that with two explicitly physical cravings?

Here's the God-Brain's problem: It's an active mind trapped in a completely useless body. The God-Brain isn't Data, wanting to be "human" -- it's Stephen Hawking, who, despite a brilliant mind, can't get out of his chair.

The God-Brain is a "bubble boy" who would love to travel the world -- to see it with his own eyes, to breathe it in -- but is stuck in one, sterile room, watching reruns on TV.
The_God_Brain wrote:And it did for just about everyone else here on the board who read it.
I wasn't even the first one to point out you were factually wrong.
The_God_Brain wrote:If it was a misinterpretation, I suppose several of us are guilty. Maybe the text should have been more clear...or maybe it was something that was open to individual interpretation?
Ah, if I only had a nickel for each time Ravenloft fans such as yourself chewed us out for writing under the assumption our readers could pick up on nuance.
The_God_Brain wrote:Whether the God Brain is pouting because It can't feel emotions or can't ride a bike doesn't really matter...
So why the freakout? Oh, right, 'cause this discussion isn't about the God-Brain -- it's about your little tantrum. I also note that the God-Brain's exact curse became unimportant only after it was pointed out that you'd bet on a bad pony.
The_God_Brain wrote:I don't take it personally.
So why the freakout?
The_God_Brain wrote:In any event, you are splitting hairs.
There's no real difference between emotionally dead and being physically crippled? How so? Use small words.
The_God_Brain wrote:You were wrong and someone pointed it out to you, and you can't just admit it.
And where was it pointed out that I was wrong? (Your initial freakout, wildly gesturing to the exact quote -- which I wrote, and follows on the God-Brain's curse as presented in "The Realms Beyond" --which I wrote -- in The Book of Souls -- doesn't count, since the quote actually backs my position. Odd that, my being the author of those words.)
The_God_Brain wrote:Except ban me.
Weight of the world on your po' widdle shoulders, dear?
The_God_Brain
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The_God_Brain »

Mangrum wrote:
Was it the "Sigh" that set you off on what is becoming a rather lengthy tirade?
The only one on a tirade here is you, John.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Mangrum wrote: Weight of the world on your po' widdle shoulders, dear?
What shoulders?
He/It is a disembodied brain, for Hala's sake.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

To end the argument. The direct quote of the God Brain's curse inthe RLDMG does refer to the GB being imprisoned and not being anble to lead the life it wishes. however, emotions do come into play in this matter in the opinion of some. It is as simple as that!

Furthermore, this thread is now locked, if God Brain wishes to continue discussing his plans for his project he may feel free to do so, hopefully without a repeat on what has happened here.

Good day to you all

Blessings

Wiccy
Swallow your soul!