Advice for running Delta Green

Discussing all roleplaying games
Zujenia
Conspirator
Conspirator

Advice for running Delta Green

Post by Zujenia »

I'm starting a Delta Green campaign for a big group of players. They have their characters, and they split themselves into three different factions. No, I didn't ask them to. They just did it.

I ran the first group through Last Things Last to familiarize them with the tone and setting, as well as to act as a sort of prologue for that group. I'd do something similar for the other two groups as well, but it depends on schedules. I have a plan to bring the three factions together, and hopefully my players will go along with it.

I know this isn't the usual place to ask for help with anything other than Ravenloft, but I could really use some help figuring out how to handle running a mystery game for eight players. Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance! :gabrielle:
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Advice for running Delta Green

Post by alhoon »

Weeeeell... you could start by telling us what "Delta Green" is. :)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Zujenia
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Zujenia »

I'm sorry, I didn't even think about that :oops:

Delta Green is a spin-off of Call of Cthulhu where the players are special agents and spies tasked with stopping cults and monsters.
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

I have run call of cthulhu but not delta green, but maybe the question not so much the setting but running large groups. Problem is larger the group more time it takes to go around the table, you have to have something to keep the other players engaged. Having handout puzzles or leaving a multiple choice where they can only do one and the other faction gets the other, that might make game harder in the way or lean in a certain direction, so they might have something to discuss amongst themselves. There might be something on youtube that deals with this question.

I have not much luck with large parties, but depends on the players, atleast they were not looking at cellphones midst game. When i did faction versus faction, it was just a single battle scenerio and had one group take a smoke break to plan while worked with the other half, this was 12 player group.
My RPG PC Game: higurashirpg.blogspot.com
Zujenia
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Zujenia »

I really hope the different player factions don't start fighting...
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

What I do in my games, when different factions are involved, is ... to set a ground rule of "No PvP, do not actively sabotage other player goals. Talk among yourselves and define how far your characters are willing others to go."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Zujenia
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Zujenia »

That's a good idea. I guess I just assumed my friends wouldn't do stuff like PvP or sabotage. Better safe than sorry.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The main point is for the players to talk it out before the game to set the boundaries more or less of what they consider "sabotage" or "going too far". Not every player puts the line at the same place, I know that from experience. So, it is better to know beforehand what you're getting into.
Keep in mind I am not saying that players should automatically accept each other's red lines, but they should discuss where the lines are.
My DMGuild work!
Zujenia
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Zujenia »

alhoon wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:35 am The main point is for the players to talk it out before the game to set the boundaries more or less of what they consider "sabotage" or "going too far". Not every player puts the line at the same place, I know that from experience. So, it is better to know beforehand what you're getting into.
Keep in mind I am not saying that players should automatically accept each other's red lines, but they should discuss where the lines are.
Good idea. I'll make sure to have a discussion with everyone about it. Thank you :gabrielle:
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Glad to be of service! PvP is the fastest way to table tension.
My DMGuild work!