Strahd's feudal rank

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Strahd's feudal rank

Post by Mistmaster »

Or we can create the village of Holst and add it to the map.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:26 am though I don't remember that he was a count, in which novel is he mentioned as a count?
I, Strahd: The War Against Azalin.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

In general I always had a question on the Von Zarovich name, for instance I always pronounced it "Fon Zarovi-h" because of the Germanic word "von", while most people pronounce it Von Zarovit-ch, having a more slavic pronounciation. Then Holst also sounds Germanic which makes me think if the name is indeed pronounced as I used to. Wachter is another Germanic name, so maybe most aristocratic families have Germanic names while commoners have Slavic. This wouldn't be so out of context as Wallachia, where Vlad "Tepes" Dracula was prince, had also a minority of Saxons. Transylvanian Saxons are a people of German ethnicity who were settled in Transylvania in waves starting from the mid-12th century until the late modern period.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

The names never made sense. You've got the Dutch "van" (variant of von) pop up in places, where their neighbours have a completely different nomenclature. As far as I know, there isn't even a Dutch domain
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

tomokaicho wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:15 pm The names never made sense. You've got the Dutch "van" (variant of von) pop up in places, where their neighbours have a completely different nomenclature. As far as I know, there isn't even a Dutch domain
The Sea of Sorrows, Captain Pieter van Riese is an outlander and originally hails from the Netherlands on Gothic Earth. "netbook-canon"
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I think the problem is Van Richten, a native Darkonese. I fixed it creating Zeindost in the southern core. It is a Netherland expy. Von Richten in my canon have Zeindosteinese origin.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well Darkon is a multicultural place and if you think that many citizens are under the modify memory effect it makes possibilities of outlanders settling in Darkon and believing they have lived there all their life. Maybe Van Richten's ancestors were outlander too.