batman in ravenloft?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: batman in ravenloft?

Post by thekristhomas »

See what's happened is, this thread has got me reading batman again...

Spoilers for "Gothic" by Grant Morrison
VIEW CONTENT:
"Gothic"'s villain is Mr Whisper, a three hundred year old monk who sold his soul to the devil in order to survive the plague. Since then he has maintained his existence through rituals requiring the blood of innocents, leading him to become a teacher at a boarding school. There he was the teacher of a young Bruce Wayne whom he would have killed if not for the intercession of Bruce's father. Later, Mr Whisper fell foul of Gotham's crimelords who believed they had killed the child murderer that had caused so much disruption to their business. Years later Mr Whisper returns intent on revenge against his "killers" but with a diabolical plan, his time is almost up, the devil is coming for his due, he plans to release a version of the plague that nearly killed him, trapping the souls of the dying within the soul trap cathedral that he himself designed over a century earlier, he fails and the devil claims his soul and sends Batman Mr Whispers heart as a souvenir
That guy doesn't need any real changes, he seems RL as all hell
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

See what's happened is, this thread has got me reading batman again...

Spoilers for "Gothic" by Grant Morrison
VIEW CONTENT:
"Gothic"'s villain is Mr Whisper, a three hundred year old monk who sold his soul to the devil in order to survive the plague. Since then he has maintained his existence through rituals requiring the blood of innocents, leading him to become a teacher at a boarding school. There he was the teacher of a young Bruce Wayne whom he would have killed if not for the intercession of Bruce's father. Later, Mr Whisper fell foul of Gotham's crimelords who believed they had killed the child murderer that had caused so much disruption to their business. Years later Mr Whisper returns intent on revenge against his "killers" but with a diabolical plan, his time is almost up, the devil is coming for his due, he plans to release a version of the plague that nearly killed him, trapping the souls of the dying within the soul trap cathedral that he himself designed over a century earlier, he fails and the devil claims his soul and sends Batman Mr Whispers heart as a souvenir
That guy doesn't need any real changes, he seems RL as all hell
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Yeah, some of those minor/obscure Batman villains can almost be used as in. Another good one in Deacon/Joseph Blackfire, a quasi-immortalish cult leader who led a cult of the underclass to almost totally overthrow the government of Gotham (in many ways, the mini-series Batman: the Cult was something of a spiritual precursor to No Man's Land several years later for all the destabilization in Gotham it saw.)

Some version of Joseph Blackfire would fit very nicely in Dementlieu, Paridon, or Nosos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacon_Blackfire
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

Anybody ever do baby doll as a darklord?
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

Any new thoughts?
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

jules wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:32 am Anybody ever do baby doll as a darklord?
My recent villain in my campaign was largely based off of Baby Doll. Check it out on my thread! (Going Back to Ravenloft....) Her name was Molly Modello. Her stats are up there an everything.
Any new thoughts?
I will say - one thing I will caution people about is that in Ravenloft a lot of people always want to make villains into Darklords. Not every villain needs to be a Darklord. A lot of times, it can be really fun to have a lot of villains running around a domain battling and allying with the Darklord. There's just a lot of dynamics that can be played with there.

Perhaps I missed it - but did anyone mention the Court of Owls? The Court of Owls is Ravenloft as anything out there. I could see the Court of Owls being the Darklord of a domain. What would be cool is that it's not a single Darklord that rules over the land, but an entire council that sometimes bickers and backstabs each other. All of the Batman villains, then, are poor and vile inhabitants stuck in the prison of the Court's making.

That said, I do love the idea of a big, sprawling city where each section of that city is ruled by a separate Darklord. It makes a lot of sense.