Suggested Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror

Discussing all things Ravenloft
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Suggested Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror

Post by ChrisNichols »

From the Catching Up II thread, John has drawn monsters from the following sources:

Book of Sacrifices
Book of Vile Darkness
Champions of Darkness
Circle of Darkness
Complete Psionic
Dark Tales & Disturbing Legends
Denizens of Dread
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Fiend Folio
Frostburn
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Howls in the Night
Libris Mortis
Lords of Madness
Monsters of Faerûn
Monster Manual
Monster Manual II
Monster Manual III
The Nightmare Lands
Oriental Adventures
Planar Handbook
Races of Stone
Ravenloft Campaign Setting
Ravenloft Gazetteer I
Ravenloft Gazetteer II
Ravenloft Gazetteer IV
Ravenloft Gazetteer V
Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium I
Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium III
Sandstorm
Stormwrack
Tome of Exalted Deeds
Van Richten’s Arsenal
Van Richten’s Guide to the Shadow Fey
Van Richten’s Guide to the Walking Dead
Dragon Magazine

This thread exists to suggest (A) monsters from these sources that John may have overlooked and (B) monsters from new sources. Monsters submitted to this thread should have a blurb (the titular teeny tiny tale of terror), a listed source, and a capsule summary of what it is, what it does, and how it fits into Ravenloft.

Selected monsters from Unapproachable East:

Blightspawned [Unapproachable East]

"We were trying to reach the castle, Tristenoira, because we'd been told there was some sort of unclaimed treasure in it. Naturally, we had to make it through that damned forest. No problem, right? It's just a bunch of trees, right?"

"Wrong. We hadn't been in the woods more than five minutes when the trees started rustling, branches and leaves swaying, making a sound like silibant laughter. Then a voice like thunder shouts something, and out of the undergrowth come... all kinds of critters - badgers, stoats, squirrels, a couple of deer, others. But every last one is sick or something, with patches of black and green rot on 'em, and eyes burning green as witchfire."

"Have you ever seen a man torn to pieces by a dozen animals that ought to be harmless? I did. Three of my friends. And lost my leg as well."

- Interview with Batrau Ghuirov, resident of Immol

Blightspawned - Template, CR +1. Blightspawned are perversions of nature, tainted by poison and evil druidic magic. Fueled by rot and hate, blightspawned creatures seek to corrupt and ruin all things natural and wholesome. The rot that blightspawn carry changes their type to plant, and is communicable by any natural attack. This blight touch does both Cha and Con damage. Creatures reduced to 0 Cha due to the blight become blightspawn; creatures reduced to 0 Con simply die. Blightspawn eventually succomb to the rot they carry within and die, only to immediated rise again as juju zombies.

In Ravenloft, the corrupted treants of the Black Circle create blightspawn to combat both the druids of Forlorn and the goblyn forces of Tristen ApBlanc. The Black Circle sometimes passes the secret of creating blightspawn to hags and evil druids in order to further corrupt the natural world to their liking.

Blooded One [Unapproachable East]

Lord Hazlik showed us the blooding ritual today. He cut the throats of to Rashemani wretches who had been suspended upside-down above the ceremonial baptismal font. After the font was filled, Lord Hazlik spent several hours adding the necessary alchemical components and arcane preparations (full details in lecture notebook D). When he finished, Eleni ushered a little caliban child, perhaps two or three years of age, into the room. She and Lord Hazlik did something that paralyzed the child and submerged it in the pool of blood and placed a stone lid over the font.

Tomorrow, they will bring the caliban child out of the blood, and we shall see the results. Of course, we have already the results. Who in the Red Academy has not see the blood calibans that guard the academy grounds, with their skin stained red with blood and the blood-hunger in their eyes?

- Journal of Taklar Uent, student at the Red Academy

Blooded One - Template; CR +1. Blooded ones are created through a ritual devised by the Red Wizards of Thay - a ritual that Hazlik brought with him to the Demiplane of Dread. By immersing a young humanoid in a pool of alchemically prepared blood, Hazlik can transform the subject into a powerful warrior. Blooded ones gain +2 natural armor, +2 Str, +4 Con, and the feat Combat Reflexes. One per day, a blooded one may issue a mighty war cry that give it and all nearby blooded ones a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls. The process of creating a blooded one only works on creatures that have not reached maturity; the alchemical blood is a deadly poison to any adult being.

Dread Warrior - Covered elsewhere, a version appears in Unapproachable East.

Hag, Bheur [Unapproachable East]

As the wind whipped about him and the snow grew ever deeper, Radu realized he had no choice but to accept the old woman's request, for a winter's night in the heights of the Balinoks without shelter was a sure death.

"Yes, grandmother," said Radu. "I agree that my horse for a night's shelter is a fair trade."

"You've done right by this old woman, young man," said the old woman, with a smile that made her uglier than ever.

And with that, she walked up to Danzi, looked him up and down once, and struck the horse sharply between the eyes with her staff. Poor Danzi instantly fell over dead.

Next, the old woman licked her lips and opened her mouth wide, kneeling over the horse's body. What happened next, Radu did not want to know, so he closed his eyes. But he could still hear, and thought that if he looked at what the old woman was doing he might go blind or mad.

- from Radu and Old Woman Winter, in 10 Tales from the Balinoks

Hag, Bheur - These hags are harbingers of winter, with terrible powers over cold. Bheurs carry a wooden staff called a graystaff that is the focus of much of their power. Bheur hags can also change to a Large size form to combat their foes. Perhaps most horrifically, bheur hags can consume *any* slain or helpless foe in a single round. Seeing this horrific feast can cause viewers to go blind or be driven mad.

In Ravenloft, bheur hags dwell in the Frozen Reaches and the heights of the Balinoks, the Mountains of Misery and the Sleeping Beast. When winter comes, the range of the bheurs is greatly increased, as they may range as far as the snows reach.

Some claim that there is really only one bheur hag and that she is the embodiment of winter. Accordingly, the bheur must be slain for spring to return, but ever if slain the bheur will return to life when winter comes again.

More later.

Chris Nichols
Last edited by ChrisNichols on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

I suppose this might as well go here:

Lycanthrope, loup du noir [Dark of the Moon, other?]

This is the oath, as Mikhail revealed it to me:

I am Hunger. I am Thirst. All those who go on four legs or on two are my lawful prey. Only against he who wears the skin, his wife and children, shall I not raise my hand nor paw nor mouth. He who wears the skin is my brother, and I support him in all things he may do. In all things I heed the word of the Black Wolf, who feeds us all.

I did not ask him how he learned it.

Larraby Quift, Adventures of a Wanderer
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Shrieking hag [Unapproachable East]

Laera - Whither goes thou, strange and ancient, blackheart hag?

Witch - I go where the winds take me. The wind - it whispers secrets to me, and I follow the course the secrets set.

Laera - What secret has brought you here?

Witch - The secret of your death, child.

from The Secrets of the Winds, a Nova Vaasan play

Shrieking hag - CR 10. A plains-dwelling hag with the power to command the wind and a maddening shriek. They can also rend their foes.

In Ravenloft, these hags dwell primarily on the Vaasan Plateau.

Hagspawn [Unapproachable East]

The hag simply sat in her chair of woven bones at the far end of the room, smoking her pipe and staring at the fire, seemingly unconcerned that we had just smashed in the door to her cottage. The ring of drawn swords seemed to bother her not at all.

"Where is Aryana, witch?" shouted Sir Landrick. "Tell us now and perhaps we shall let you live!"

The crone chuckled at this. "Little one," she called, exhaling a long stream of smoke. "Come and get rid of this rabble for mother, won't you?"

From the darkness of the back room stepped a hulking brute, its skin a lesser shade of blue than the hag's. Its skin was hairy and wart-pocked, its arms long and gangly, its position hunched, its hair lank and greasy, and its eyes red with malice. It draw a cracked and blackened sword from somewhere behind the door frame, and then it spoke.

"Yes, maw-maw."

And then it was among us.

- excerpt from an unsigned diary found in an estate sale in Karg

Hagspawn - CR Character level + 1. Hagspawn are the rare male offspring of hags. Typically abandoned at birth, hagspawn resemble particularly large and brutish humans, and inherit their mothers' wicked tendencies. They are violent bullies and thugs, always seeking to intimidate and dominate those weaker than them. Hagspawn have high Str and Con, low Cha, an improved AC, spell resistance. Favored class is barbarian. In Ravenloft, hagspawn can appear anywhere hags can be found.
Last edited by ChrisNichols on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Juju zombie [Unapproachable East]

Yf ye be puycyent, know thys - ye strength of your dead servants ys yn proportyon to your own. Yf ye be strong, yt too wyll be strong, to crush your enemyes. Yf ye be smart, yt too wyll be smart, to weyld weapons - club, blade, and bow. Ye dead servants shall fyght most fyercely, and run and climb wyth agylyty, and resyst ye bolts of magyck and lyghtnyng.

Be warned however, that your dead servants wyll now hate ye and ever seek to be free of your command. Lose not your grasp on the reyns of ye dead servants, lest ye dead servants bryng ye to a most unfortunate end.

- from the Tyrahgaunt Text by Yrym-Sybarr

Juju zombie - Template, CR +2. A powerful zombie animated by particularly strong necromancy (create undead by a 16th-level spellcaster). These zombies have improved Str and Dex, retain some Int, gain a Climb speed, improved AC, +4 turn resistance, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, and Toughness. Their immune to magic missiles and electricity damage.

Juju zombies are found anywhere sufficiently powerful necromancers dwell, though they are particularly common in Darkon and Souragne.

Nilshai [Unapproachable East]

Back in 752, we were trying to find the source of the deadly haunting at Sunnurieth Tower. Whicleth, a wizard in the Sithican tradition, was with us. He had one eye that had been replaced with a orb of black glass and claimed that this allowed him to see spirits. We hoped this would give us an advantage against whatever had killed the Sunnurieth family. It was only once we reached the highest floor of the tower that Whicleth saw something.

"There!" he shouted, pointing to a seemingly empty corner of the room. "That three-eyed thing! It-"

And at that point Whicleth dropped dead. We never found the thing he had seen and had killed him and the others. No one ever bothered to move back into Sunnurieth Tower, only left it to decay. The tower still stands outside Hroth, but what dwells there now, I do not know.

- Jameld of Hroth, private correspondence with Laurie Weathermay-Foxgrove

Nilshai - Medium-size aberration, CR 7. Malevolent alien spellcasters from the Ethereal Plane, similar to ethereal marauders and ethereal slayers. Nilshais trilaterally symmetrical, having a ropy body supported by three stumpy legs, three tentacles ending in blunt three-fingered hands, bulbous heads with three eyestalks, and three membranous wings the fold into their bodies. All nilshais cast spells as 8th-level sorcerers and may gain additional character levels (usually sorcerer) on top of that. They have a natural mind blank, and due to their alien symmetry gain an extra action each round. Nilshais have a burning hatred of elves above all else.

In Ravenloft, nilshais are another "if you can see them, they can see you" monster that is trapped in the demiplane's ethereal borders. These ethereal horrors seek out elves to destroy, making them particular menaces in Darkon and Sithicus.
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Orglash [Unapproachable East]

"Urdursh va thasku!
Come freezing wind!
Han yetsha mir obansk!
Rise icy air!
Dur mitank akalushk!
Appear Orglash!
I command you!
I command you!"

- invocation spoken by a Vos witch

Orglash - Orglashes are air elementals with the cold subtype native to frigid climes. They appear as standard air elementals filled with swirling snow and two dark spots for eyes. These elementals deal cold damage in addition to their standard attack damage, and can cast a cone of cold thrice daily. Orglashes have fast healing when in cold areas, and are native to the Material Plane (or Ravenloft).

In Ravenloft, orglashes are found in the Frozen Reaches cluster or the high mountains of the Core. A hot weather variant of the orglash is native to Hazlan, where certain Rashemi witches summon them.
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Shadow-walker [Unapproachable East]

"According to the coachman, who was thrown clear of the wreck, the robber's face was obscured by a cloud of darkness. He threw blobs of shadows at the horses, forcing the coach off the road, and then unnatural darkness descended. The coachman heard the screams of the passengers as the bandit struck them down, but could not aid them as his leg had been broken in the fall. Shortly thereafter, the robber strode out of the darkness, walked into the shadows behind a nearby boulder, and did not return. The coachman was not found until some time later, after the wreckage was noticed by a passing traveler."

- Notes by Constable Sturm Androv on a coach robbery outside Kantora

Shadow-walker - Template, CR +1. Shadow-walkers are people who have performed a rite or entered a pact that exchanges some of their life force for shadowstuff. From this bond, they gain powers related to shadow and darkness that grow with the shadow-walker's character level, though they can not use these powers in bright light. Shadow-walkers gain darkvision, but are blinded for a round by bright light. A shadow-walker's shadow always stands out crisp and dark, no matter how dim the lighting.

In the Forgotten Realms, shadow-walkers are given their powers by the god Mask, but in Ravenloft the powers of shadow-walkers are granted through pacts with evil spirits and dark forces, possibly even the Dark Powers themselves. Most shadow-walkers are rogues, and are often members of criminal syndicates and theives guilds, such as the Buried Circle or the criminals employed by Malken.

Telthor [Unapproachable East]

When I was young, maybe five, maybe six, I'd go with my grandmother to the windmill near our village. Grandmother was a wise woman, an elder of the village, and it was her duty to take offerings and tidings to the spirits that watched over the village from the windmill.

That day we took a loaf of bread, a roast chicken, a jug of milk, and a jug of beer - a real feast by most standards. Naturally, I wanted some of this food - it smelled wonderful. But naturally, grandmother said 'no,' and carried the chicken and bread herself, leaving the jugs for me to carry.

Eventually, we get to the windmill, an old abandoned place no one used. Instead, grandmother and the other elders would come out here and paint little drawings and stories about life in the village on the walls. Grandmother had taught me about some of the images - the picture for my birth, the old picture of her birth, the time when the Red Wizard visited the village and took five young boys and five young girls from us, never to be seen again.

Grandmother pushed open the mill's door and we went in. All the food and drink we set in the center of the dusty room. I drew a circle in the dust around the food and grandmother addressed the empty room, saying that we had brought food and drink for the spirits and asking them to bless and protect the village. She spoke a few minutes further, recounting events from the village since she had last visited the windmill, finishing by repeating that the food was for the spirits and repeating the request that the spirits protect the village.

After that, we turned and left, not even bothering with the door. Grandmother had told me on one of our previous trips to never look back when we left the windmill. She said the spirits didn't like it. But that day, I snuck a quick glance back.

There were shimmery, transparent figures gathering around the food we'd left. Some were human, but I saw a wolf and a hawk among them. But I only looked for a moment before grandmother grabbed my ear and started scolding me. She never took me with her after that, and steadily grew more and more odd and withdrawn, until one day she walked out into the plains and disappeared.

- a tale related by Itran the Badger, a Rashemi ruin delver

Telthor - Template, CR +1. Telthor are spirit animals or people that guard the land. In the Forgotten Realms, telthors are tied to Rashemen, while in Ravenloft, they are found in regions of Hazlan populated by the Rashemani. When a person or animal dies defending Rashemani lands, they may rise up as a telthor. They become fey with the incorporeal subtype. Telthor gain a fly speed, have animal empathy with one animal type, and communicate telepathically with other nearby telthors. Telthors are bound to a particular place that they defend and may not travel farther than one mile from it. If they travel more that a mile from the site they are bound to, they take one point of damage every minute.

In Ravenloft, telthor are native only to Hazlan and are often found dwelling in or near the strange windmills that dot the Hazlani countryside, though many other places within the domain harbor telthors. Certain Rashemani women know to propitiate these spirits with offerings and gifts, telling them of life in the village. The telthor who are shown this respect are more likely to defend the Rashemani living nearby. Because they are bound to the land, telthor never oppose Hazlan's darklord, Hazlik.
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Thomil [Unapproachable East]

Tetin raised his pick, ready to start digging. The site was good - he was sure to strike a vein of ore in this hollow. But just as his pick was about to strike, a booming voice called out.

"Ho, little man! What do you think you are doing and who gave you permission to do it?"

Tetin looked behind him and saw a massive man of stone standing among the rocks. The big stone man had no legs, but rose in a unbroken column from the stone.

"Why, I plan to strike a claim here and dig for ore," said Tetin. "I will take the ore to town and make my fortune. As for permission, I have none, for who would I ask?"

The stone man frowned ferociously. "You shall not dig here," it boomed. "You did not ask me or the other spirits of the mountains for permission, but you could have. And now, if you strike your mine here, I will swallow you up and deliver you to a stony grave!"

Tetin knew better than to challenge the stone man, so he grabbed his pick and his pack and left the stone man's hollow behind.

- from Tetin's Claim in 10 Tales of the Balinoks

Thomil - Template, CR +2. Thomils are guardian earth elementals that resemble humanoid forms sprouting from the earth beneath it. Thomils can engulf enemies of at least one size category smaller that themselves. Thomils can defend themselves by transforming into boulders, have DR and SR, and cold resistance. They gain +4 Con and have a minimum Int of 10. They are native elementals.

In Ravenloft, thomils are found in mountains and other rocky regions, guarding those environments from those who would molest them. In Hazlan, thomils can be found that have fire resistance instead of cold resistance.
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Troll, fell [Unapproachable East]

Big as a hill,
waits to kill,
stone for a soul,
old fell troll.

Big two-head,
eats up the dead,
size of a knoll,
old fell troll.

- traditional Darkonese rhyme

Troll, fell - CR 14. Fell trolls are huge (over 15 feet tall and 5000 lbs) two-headed trolls. These monsters lurk in uninhabited regions and are ever hungry for man-flesh. Like other trolls, these beasts regenerate, can rend foes, and track by scent. Additionally, because fell trolls have two heads, they roll all Will saves twice and use the better result.

In Ravenloft, fell trolls lurk in desolate regions such as the Arak region of the Mountains of Misery.

Troll, ice [Unapproachable East]

High in the icy mountains,
where the cold wind sings,
surrounded by his captains,
frozen sits the mountain king.

Fires doused by freezing slime,
hammers pound in the night,
waiting since the dawn of time,
sits the troll king in his might.

- Saga of the Mountain King, traditional Vos

Troll, ice - CR 4. A breed of troll native to frozen lands, ice trolls are somewhat more intelligent than most of their breed. They are able to forge and craft armor and weapons, favoring great warhammers and oversized swords. Ice trolls spit a freezing, nauseating slime that does cold damage and can extinguish flames such as torches. Ice trolls have the cold subtype and like other trolls can regenerate and track by scent.
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Uthraki [Unapproachable East]

We were travelling from Arbora to Sly-Var when a farmer joined us on the road one evening. He travelled with us and talked, proving to be a reasonable companion. When we stopped for the night, he ate with us and when to sleep in the shadow of one of the wagons.

Later that night, I was awoken by a high, crazy scream, like what a rabbit in a snare makes. I grabbed my sword and ran out of my tent to see what was going on. I find the farmer who joined us standing in front of Donde's tent with Donde's dagger - she always slept with one under her pillow - sticking out of his shoulder. Donde looks over to me and points to the bruises around her neck - the bastard had tried to strangle her!

After that, we were a bit over-zealous in subduing our guest. Which was fine, since whatever it was fought back and nearly clawed the guts out of young Simon. Once we killed it, it didn't look like a farmer anymore. It was a grey-furred ape-thing with twisted limbs and a head that was a size too small for its body. And all around the head, front and back, were these glassy black eyes.

We burned the carcass and laid heavy stones over the bones. It will be a long time before we let travellers join us on the road anymore.

- Journal of Brego Sandeskov, Arboran merchant

Uthraki - Large monstrous humanoid (Shapechanger), CR 3. Uthraki are man-eating shapeshifter that haunt lonely roads and other dark places. They take on human forms, presenting themselves as fellow travellers, lost children and similar folk, before killing those they encounter when they drop their guard. Uthraki appear to be large apes with gray fur and twisted limbs. Their heads are too small for their frames and are ringed by a dozen solid black eyes that give them all-around vision. At night, uthraki have fast healing.

In Ravenloft, uthraki haunt the Vaasan Plateau, menacing travellers on the lonely plains between settlements

And that finishes the Unapproachable East monsters!

Chris Nichols
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Bone Creature [Book of Vile Darkness]

"In the distance, do you see that light? That is the highest window of Scribe's Tower. A light has burned in that window since my father showed it to me as a boy, and since his father showed it to him as a boy, and since grandfather's father showed it to grandfather as a boy. By that light, there is a scribe who has been writing something since who knows when. The scribe has been writing for a very, very long time. He writes and the years pass and flesh becomes dust. But the bones keep writing."

- Taldemor Galadric of Kislova to his son

Bone Creature - Template, CR remains the same. Bone creatures are essentially intelligent skeletons, retaining their skills, feats, and abilities from life. They can be created via create undead.

Although bone creatures can be created through spells, in Ravenloft they often result from powerful curses. They may also arise spontaneously, when beings of extraordinary will refuse to die even once flesh crumbles into dust. This may occur when a person focuses obcessively on a task or duty for years on end, not ever noticing their moment of death.
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Just so I don't hog all the fun, here is a short list of suggested additional monsters for our teeny tiny tales of terror project (A-N only).

Ankheg [Monster Manual]

Choker [Monster Manual]
Chuul [Monster Manual]
Corpse creature [Book of Vile Darkness]
Corrupted creature [Book of Vile Darkness]

Doppleganger, outlander [Monster Manual]

Formorian [Monster Manual II]
Fungus, shrieker [Monster Manual]
Fungus, violet fungus [Monster Manual]

Giant eagle [Monster Manual]
Giant owl [Monster Manual]
Grimlock [Monster Manual]

Kraken [Monster Manual]

Lamia [Monster Manual]
Lizardfolk [Monster Manual]
Lycanthrope, wererat, abberant [Ravenloft Gazetteer Vol. 3]

I suggest checking through the Local Animals and Native Horrors sections of the Gazetteers for more possibilities.

Also, there are monsters mentioned in the Gazetteers, but lacking detailed descriptions or stats. These include:

Banflur clann [Gaz. 1, Forlorn]
Bean nidhe [Gaz. 1, Forlorn]
Doedridere [Gaz. 5, Nova Vaasa]
Elvsra [Gaz. 4, Valachan]
Hestdrikker [Gaz. 5, Nova Vaasa]
Hestskaerere [Gaz. 5, Nova Vaasa]
Mahr [Gaz. 1, Barovia]
Niksiee [Gaz. 5, Nova Vaasa]
Nocnitsa [Gaz. 1, Barovia]
Poludnitsa [Gaz. 1, Barovia]
Rhare-ceann's fhuil-cnaimh [Gaz. 1, Forlorn]
Skarphove [Gaz. 5, Nova Vaasa]
Skogsra [Gaz. 4, Valachan]
Veela [Gaz. 1, Barovia]

There's all so unique monsters, which John already has a smattering of with Aggie (undead lake serpent), Death's horsemen, and the avanc. Others in this vein include:

Gray Wyrm, the
Green Maiden, the
Konge Skyggehest
Keeper of Secrets, the
Master of the Wild Hunt, the

Plus, there's plenty of monsters from the BoS series, Quoth the Raven, the Undead Sea Scrolls and similar sources.

Hopefully, this list is helpful and will promote contributions of additional teeny tiny tales of terror. (Also, I hope John will correct me if I've made any errors of judgement here.)

Chris Nichols
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Corpse Creature [Book of Vile Darkness]

Dear journal, one week after slaying this dreadful abomination, we went back to this forgotten chapel to retrieve the holy items that were stolen by this treacherous priest and this illithid thing that was probably controlling him. One week ago, we defeated this tentacled monster and we saw the priest flee.

When we came back, we were ready to detect whatever traps and spells the priest could have left behind for revenge. But we were not ready to face the illithid creature, again. Its corpse was in the same position as when it fell when Geddar’s hammer hit it, but to our surprise it rose as a shambling corpse and struck us with its unholy mental attack. Thankfully, Geddar defeated it again, but I fear for our priest’s sanity.

Van Richten’s private diary
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I've browsed through MM IV and here's my first suggested take from it:

Bloodfire Ooze (CR 12 blood of innocents and blood of a fiend mixed during horrible ritual) Pic

Bloodhulks (cr 4, 6, 8; corpse reanimated with infusion of innocents’s blood during horrible ritual, come in three sizes) Pic

Bloodsilk spider (CR 2; cunning spider in a web saturated with blood. The web itself can suck blood of entrapped victims) Pic

Corrupture (CR 9; flesh ooze, found where nature was corrupted, acid spiting) Pic

Defacer (CR 6; undead, where a victim of this undead can possess a living creature) Pic

Drow elf, FYI many entries to develop this monster

Necrosis carnex (CR 3; undead, stitched parts; odd aura against living; explodes when reduced to zero hp) Pic

Ogre, FYI many entries to develop this monster

Plague walker (CR 3; disgusting, bloated undead. Also can explodes in flurry of dead flesh (is it me or the undead are weirder with passing time?)) Pic

Tomb spiders (creepy large spiders CR 6, planting their eggs in corpses of humanoids, that animates as web mummy CR 4. With a swarm of blood fist-sized spiders CR 2) Pic

Vitrous Drinker (CR 11; undead with eyes all over its body. Serve Vecna. Another version of The Eye golem) Pic

Wrackspawn (CR 3; fiendish remains of someone good that was tortured beyond sanity; eyeless) Pic
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Suggested Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror

Post by tomokaicho »

The two miners walked deep into the cave system, veins of silver ore getting thicker the deeper they went.
"We're going to be rich", said the taller of the two, named Tomas. "Quiet. There is something out there", said the other, called Karl.
In the darkness there were forms moving about, their eyes reflecting in the meagre light given off by the torches of the miners.
"Run!", said Karl as he grabbed the arm of Tomas and raced towards the mouth of the cave. Behind them, the creatures came in fast, silent pursuit.

From The Tale of the Deep Folk, by an anonymous Darknonian author.

Grimlock - In Ravenloft, the Grimlocks are much the same as they are on other worlds. However, the Grimlocks of Ravenloft have an unfortunate tendency to congregate in places with rich ore, which brings them into contact with miners and fortune seekers. According to folklore, Grimlocks are all male, and must resort to kidnapping human females to perpetuate their own kind. While knowledgeable scholars scoff at the idea that Grimlocks are all male, women that go missing are often suggested to have been kidnapped by Grimlock bachelors.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Suggested Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror

Post by KingCorn »

And from its clawed hand, it brought forth an arrow of darkest ebony. 'Here you are, dear hunter', said the jackle headed fiend, 'good for six shots, true as my word. But all shots after shall be for the arrow to decide'. Taking it hand hand, Friesch felt its oily touch and thought of his love and his revenge. And with a laugh, the fiend faded into the mists...

From The Freeshooter, a Kartakass opera based on Falkovnian legend

Battleloths, the least of all Yugoloths, are not so uncommon in the Land of Mists compared to other fiends. Most have been summoned by Inajira and bound to his will, serving as body guards and opportune spies, gifted to would-be heroes in the guise of a priest or Guardian as a holy relic. Spiteful as any other 'loths, these servants are bitter and chafe at their bounds and would give much to trouble Inajira, where they not so bound.
It is also whispered that just as a man may transpose himself with a fiend through evil action and ritual, so too can a weapon seeped in enough blood and sin be slowly warped into a Battleloth, and many are said to infest the Falkovnia, driving their Talon wielders to ever greater acts of depravity.
Battleloths are too weak to generate a reality wrinkle nor to gain a phylactery. However, their weapon forms prove more durable than usual in the Mists. In exchange for this however, their are naturally bound to their weapon forms, and can only gain humanoid form through magical rituals conducted by others.