Hananuna Masakichi

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Hananuna Masakichi

Post by Joël of the FoS »

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... xHxDxizlDu

Creepy story, a man knowing he will die, making a perfect replica of himself so his wife won't be alone after his death.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Hananuna Masakichi

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

And lived for a decade without teeth as he gave them to his doppelganger statue....
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:13 pm And lived for a decade without teeth as he gave them to his doppelganger statue....
I thought that was a bit weird. Terminal condition (...ten years later...) oh, right, terminal condition *urk*.

Still, I wonder if the full sized doll had some relation to Shintoism where in dolls can have souls/spirits?
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Joël of the FoS

I know this is weird.

But, he tought he was going to die, and obsessively made the life-like statue, with parts of him in it, a perfect copy, so his wife would not be alone

It screams Ravenloft for me! ;)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Imagine if he instead of Robert Ripley was using it to play "pranks" on his wife gaslighting her and slowly driving her crazy... :Brain:

Another Ravenloft twist....
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Joël of the FoS wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:14 am and obsessively made the life-like statue, with parts of him in it, a perfect copy, so his wife would not be alone
This reminds me a story from Fernando De Felipe's comic anthology of weird collectors stories called MUSEUM.

"The most eschatological (or better scatological) chapter revolves around a renowned scientist, a single woman with no social life who decides to "file" her body. She begins harmlessly, collecting her hair, but then she starts putting her fingernails in storage, and then she keeps all the wastes and secretions the human body is capable of producing. Finally, with this disgusting collection, she builds a golem of putrefaction and invites the press and all her friends to admire her filthy creation. "

https://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2015/07 ... elipe.html
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

DustBunny wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:11 am
Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:13 pm And lived for a decade without teeth as he gave them to his doppelganger statue....
I thought that was a bit weird. Terminal condition (...ten years later...) oh, right, terminal condition *urk*.

Still, I wonder if the full sized doll had some relation to Shintoism where in dolls can have souls/spirits?
I thought those gained spirits due to having been in use and useful for a long time.
HyperionSol
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by HyperionSol »

Wow. Makes me feel a little like being in the kiddie pool when I looked into EC comics Tales from the Crypt, Vault of Horror, and Cape of Fear for Ravenloft ideas.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:14 am I know this is weird.

But, he tought he was going to die, and obsessively made the life-like statue, with parts of him in it, a perfect copy, so his wife would not be alone

It screams Ravenloft for me! ;)
That's because you always loved dread golems. I think you are the one that wrote about the child-like golem Anna or Anya several years ago?

But yes, this screams Ravenloft. As for making it for his wife to not be alone... I am not sure. Perhaps he did, but I think he made it out of vanity.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Joël of the FoS

I'm obsessed with golems, I know

*back to the basement to finish building my secret pet project*