Is Deadhold a Shadowfell Domain?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Icecubez
Conspirator
Conspirator

Is Deadhold a Shadowfell Domain?

Post by Icecubez »

I was reading "Demon Queen's Enclave" for D&D 4e when I came across an area called Deadhold,
a strange realm in the Shadowfell.
They refer to it as a domain from time to time, but they also refer to other mundane places as domains as well. They never use the term of Domain of Dread.
There's even a character that would fit as the Darklord: Zirithian, the drow vampire. However, the term Darklord is never used in the book.

So with all that in mind, why would I even think its a Domain of Dread? This excerpt right here:
This strange realm of the walking dead exists within a splinter of the Shadowfell. Legends speak of dark realms within the plane that come into being under the influence of overwhelming evil or vast concentrations of magic. Deadhold is one of these...
It reads just like how I'd describe a 4e Domain of Dread.
Last edited by Icecubez on Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Is Deadhold a Shadowfell Domain?

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Don't know why they'd be so coy about it, but yeah, that last quote you highlighted makes it pretty clear that's what they had in mind, I think.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Icecubez
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Icecubez »

I went to ask the authors of the book if they intended Deadhold to be a Shadowfell Domain. Out of the authors:

David Noonan didn't write the book despite what Wikipedia and Amazon says, he told me on twitter via tweets.
Chris Sims was supposed to write the book but was taken off it, told me in twitter DMs.
Mike Mearls hasn't replied me.

Robert Schwalb, the main writer, got back to me via emails. I asked him:
May I know if Deadhold is supposed to be a Dread Domain, like those in Ravenloft?
To which he replied:
No, not exactly.
So I got my answer, Deadhold is not a Domain of Dread. I only made this topic cause someone said it was a Domain of Dread in a different forum.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Nice detective work!

(Still kinda sounds that way to me though... ;) )
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."