Traven

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Traven

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Ladies and gentlemen, might I ask your opinion of this character?
Traven.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Traven

Post by Speedwagon »

Interesting NPC, Rock! I like the link between Traven and Arcael, as well as the relatively grounded motivation of wanting a loved one to come back for the both of them (the good ol' good intentions damning one's self to a hell of their own inadvertent making).

It might be good to maybe expand upon Arcael and Traven's relationship a bit more, if only to make the irony of their re-unification even more interesting (perhaps similar quirks that one notices the other has and thinks 'where have I seen that before and why do I feel so comfortable around them?'). Might be good to give Arcael a page on the Mistipedia, unless she's just meant to be an ancillary character for Traven's sake.

I also like the usage of Anton Misroi in the backstory, as he's a Darklord that could be fun to entangle with more plots than just what's going on in Souragne. EDIT/Random thought: If Traven is from Krynn, would he perhaps have heard, while in Darkon, of Sithicus and got a sense of deja-vu? Or even of the lord of nearby Falkovnia and thought 'something reminds me of Taladas' or would that have been too far-fetched and not in his character?

Traven's procedure in Lamordia being interrupted by adventurers sounds like a fun mini-adventure to run or write!

I love that Dread Possibility of Traven not caring what his daughter is like now. There's a bunch of moral quandaries you can present to players or other NPCs with that singular tidbit!

Overall, a really interesting NPC I'd like to learn more about Rock! I hope to see more on Traven and the Wartorn Cluster in the future, if my assumption that he might have a link to that project holds true, that is!
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

One thing is that with all the stunts he has pulled, there is no way in the Abyss he would be considered a Red robe anymore. So technically he should lose his Red robe abilities and gain the Black. The other interesting point is that the Orders of High Sorcery draw their power from the moons of Krynn. So if Lunitari or Nuitari is not giving him power, who is? :wink: (DP's whistle innocently)

And what would happen if he went to Sithicus were a fake Nuitari is in the sky?

Another one which may be interesting rather than drinking Vampire blood is a couple of spells from Dragon 252. They are 2ed, but could be easily changed. They are also Necromancy spells, but as mentioned he isn't no red robe anymore and with a bit of hand waving you could have a Transmutation variant. Of course in either case, the DP's are going to be very happy for a new toy.
This spell permanently ages the victim by ld6 + 1 years. If the victim's saving throw succeeds, the effect wears off in 2d8 + 8 hours. If the saving throw fails, the aging effect becomes permanent and the victim must also make a successful system shock roll or die. To cast this spell, the necromancer must have several items. First, the necromancer requires several hairs (or other discarded clippings such as nails or skin) from the victim. Second, the necromancer must have hairs or clippings from a person who died of old age and was buried in unhallowed ground. Third, the necromancer must have at least one ounce of ichor from an evil ghost. If the necromancer has any item taken from the body of a vampire (teeth, hair, skin, etc.), the necromancer can cast a powerful variant of this spell. With the addition of the vampiric components, every time the necromancer successfully ages a victim, the necromancer becomes one year younger. The age spell then becomes useful as a rejuvenation/ youthfulness type spell.
Preserve Youth [E]
Level: 5
The spell eliminates aging toxins from the target's body by flushing it with nurturing elements drawn from fresh blood and other supplies. The spell has two effects. First, the necromancer is protected from further aging for a period of one year plus one month per level of the caster. Second, the necromancer actually grows physically younger for the duration of the spell, typically returning to prime physical condition. This effect fades rapidly as the duration of the spell expires.
The ritual requires the death of a young, healthy specimen of the same species as the caster and the use of 200 gp worth of evil and dark-natured exotic rejuvenation-related materials. All mate¬ rial components are consumed by the spell. Should the victim succeed in a save vs. spells, he or she cannot be the victim of a future preserve youth spell cast for the benefit of the same recipient.
Each time a necromancer uses this spell, he or she must save vs. spell. If the save fails, the necromancer must use an additional victim the next time he or she uses the spell. A necromancer who has failed this saving throw two times, for example, would require four young and healthy victims to make the spell work again.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

DustBunny wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:45 pm One thing is that with all the stunts he has pulled, there is no way in the Abyss he would be considered a Red robe anymore. So technically he should lose his Red robe abilities and gain the Black.
When it comes to Traven, I am both strict about rules and twist the rules into a pretzel. Neutral Evil is technically a form of Neutral. :wink: I won't let Traven swap to Black Robes unless he chooses to, and he won't because he doesn't believe he's evil and there's no Conclave to formalize the transition.
The other interesting point is that the Orders of High Sorcery draw their power from the moons of Krynn. So if Lunitari or Nuitari is not giving him power, who is? :wink: (DP's whistle innocently)
And what would happen if he went to Sithicus were a fake Nuitari is in the sky?
Traven would be very upset to hear the former and would deny it, and the latter would probably make his crazy brain go 'clunk!'
Another one which may be interesting rather than drinking Vampire blood is a couple of spells from Dragon 252. They are 2ed, but could be easily changed. They are also Necromancy spells, but as mentioned he isn't no red robe anymore and with a bit of hand waving you could have a Transmutation variant. Of course in either case, the DP's are going to be very happy for a new toy.
Nice find. ^_^ I hope the DP are already happy with Traven, though; a Wizard so assured of his own Neutrality ("I care for me and mine, everyone else is of no concern"), yet so entitled and obsessed that he has broken all kinds of rules of ethics and morality and is twisting the schools of magic to the breaking point just to get what he wants.

As you can see in his statistics, he should be able to cast a handful of Necromancy spells, but only up to 3rd level and only ones he knew before he took the Test. Alas, Necromancy intrigued him, but it was not his main focus... So frustrating. :wink:
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Speedwagon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:03 pm Interesting NPC, Rock! I like the link between Traven and Arcael, as well as the relatively grounded motivation of wanting a loved one to come back for the both of them (the good ol' good intentions damning one's self to a hell of their own inadvertent making).
Thank you kindly! ^_^
It might be good to maybe expand upon Arcael and Traven's relationship a bit more, if only to make the irony of their re-unification even more interesting (perhaps similar quirks that one notices the other has and thinks 'where have I seen that before and why do I feel so comfortable around them?'). Might be good to give Arcael a page on the Mistipedia, unless she's just meant to be an ancillary character for Traven's sake.
I'm working on her page even now.
I also like the usage of Anton Misroi in the backstory, as he's a Darklord that could be fun to entangle with more plots than just what's going on in Souragne. EDIT/Random thought: If Traven is from Krynn, would he perhaps have heard, while in Darkon, of Sithicus and got a sense of deja-vu? Or even of the lord of nearby Falkovnia and thought 'something reminds me of Taladas' or would that have been too far-fetched and not in his character?
Traven's pretty focused on what he wants and how he's going to get it. Unless he hears rumours of useful magic or succubi coming out of Sithicus or Falkovnia, I doubt he'd care about either.
Traven's procedure in Lamordia being interrupted by adventurers sounds like a fun mini-adventure to run or write!
If anyone wants to give that a go, please let me know!
I love that Dread Possibility of Traven not caring what his daughter is like now. There's a bunch of moral quandaries you can present to players or other NPCs with that singular tidbit!
Yeah, Traven is straight-up wackadoo. It isn't even about love for his family anymore; not really. He wants his child back, it's not aboyt her happiness - it's about his.
Overall, a really interesting NPC I'd like to learn more about Rock! I hope to see more on Traven and the Wartorn Cluster in the future, if my assumption that he might have a link to that project holds true, that is!
We'll see! ^_^ I might find some occasions for Traven to show up down the line.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Here's Traven's own terror track: the Path of the Cold One.
As Traven grows ever more extreme in his efforts to return the dead the way he remembers them and wants them to be, he grows ever more closed off to the people they were in favour of the image and role he wants them to fulfill. He closes off his heart and grows... colder.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

I liked the way how made the weaknesses of Wizards of High Sorcery central to your narrative. For people that do not know, the "standard" Wizard of High Sorcery (with the WoHS prestige class) has three prohibited magic schools out of the 8 schools of magic. This makes an average WoHS someone that cannot do it all magically.

Not all WoHS are like this, only most. The most famous ones, like Raistlin, Dalamar, Fistandantilus, Par-Salian, Justarius et al we're all generalists. It makes me wonder why the 3.5e designers took this tact. Even so, you have made your lore live up to the crunch, so kudos.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:58 pm Here's Traven's own terror track: the Path of the Cold One.
As Traven grows ever more extreme in his efforts to return the dead the way he remembers them and wants them to be, he grows ever more closed off to the people they were in favour of the image and role he wants them to fulfill. He closes off his heart and grows... colder.
Nice terror track, Rock! The overall chilly feeling it gives me somewhat reminds me of Meredoth and how strongly associated Meredoth is with cold over in Todstein and his spell list.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Speedwagon wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:57 pm
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:58 pm Here's Traven's own terror track: the Path of the Cold One.
Nice terror track, Rock! The overall chilly feeling it gives me somewhat reminds me of Meredoth and how strongly associated Meredoth is with cold over in Todstein and his spell list.
Thank you. ^_^
Any resemblance to Meredoth was unintentional, but yeah, I can see it. Likewise, Traven's resemblance to Azalin in his raison d'être is a coincidence, I swear... ^^; At least unlike Azalin, Traven accepts he isn't top dog in the Demiplane and can respect those stronger than him.