Ivana's Jongleur - visual?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Ivana's Jongleur - visual?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Am I mistaken or there never was any drawing of the Jongleur that was made (none official, I'm quite sure, but fan made?)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Re: Ivana's Jongleur - visual?

Made this with Hero's Forge:

Jongleur

With mute mask, double blade sword and burn marks on the hands.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

I love the visual Joel! The token I used to represent the Jongleur online had the same jester look to him. My players still imagine him as “Anton Chigurh in a troubadour outfit” due to how scared they were of him.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

I had something different in mind but then I searched the origin of the word jongleur.

jongleur= professional storyteller or public entertainer in medieval France, often indistinguishable from the trouvère, "wandering minstrel of medieval times," 1779, a revival in a technical sense (by modern historians and novelists) of Norman-French jongleur, a variant of Old French jogleor "minstrel, itinerant player; joker, juggler, clown", from Latin ioculator "jester, joker". The words juggling and juggler derive from the Middle English jogelen ("to entertain by performing tricks"), which in turn is from the Old French jangler. There is also the Late Latin form joculare of Latin joculari, meaning "to jest".

He is described as a:
lithe (graceful?) mute with colourful concealing garb and his double-bladed sword has ribbons and bells tied on it.

What I would change would probably be his clothes to be more fitting as to accent his movements (he is a dancer after all) and to not obstruct his acrobatics, the same goes for the hat, I would make it smaller. Then I would change the mask/muted face to look more like Gwynplane from Victor Hugo's The Man Who Laughs (1869). It could be that Jongleurs face is malformed (hiding behind a mask) in a perpetual laugh as in Hugo's novel, from the burns he suffered as a baby. In descriptions I would emphasize the sound of the bells when he is approaching especially if they are hiding from him. I would probably make him a fearsome half-Vistani half-fiend fighter/thief acrobat (Who's laughing now?...). He doesn't speak not because he lacks a mouth but because of damaged vocal chords so someone can still hear raspy sounds while fighting.

http://urbanaspirines.blogspot.com/2010 ... aughs.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK3qlzY6Cnk

The double bladed scimitar sword could be made from two separate swords that can be linked together with a threaded socket on the pommel so he can use them as two separate swords in both hands or a single spearlike weapon similar to the haladie, a double-edged dagger from ancient Syria and India consisting of two curved blades, each approximately 8.5 inches (22 cm) in length, attached to a single hilt. The weapon was used by warriors of the Indian Rajput clans, and was both a stabbing and slicing blade. Some haladie had spikes on one side of the handle in the style of a knuckle duster, while others had a third blade in this position. In some cases the main blades would be serrated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haladie#/ ... aladie.jpg

The haladie is believed to be one of the world's first triple-edged blades as for a double bladed scimitar...

PS: Could it be that Ivana Boritsi and Jongleur have a relationship? He is after all immune to her poison as a half-fiend. This relationship is purely sexual for Ivana (or started like that), I thought about it based on Hugo's novel...

The spoiled, jaded and sensual Duchess Josiana, the illegitimate daughter of King James II, is bored by the dull routine of court. Her fiancé, David Dirry-Moir, to whom she has been engaged since infancy, tells Josiana that the only cure for her boredom is Gwynplaine (the Man who Laughs). She attends one of Gwynplaine's performances, and is aroused by the combination of his virile grace and his facial deformity. Gwynplaine is aroused by Josiana's physical beauty and haughty demeanor. Later, an agent of the royal court, Barkilphedro, wishes to humiliate and destroy Josiana by compelling her to marry the 'clown' Gwynplaine. Later Josiana has Gwynplaine secretly brought to her so that she may seduce him. She is interrupted by the delivery of a pronouncement from the Queen, informing Josiana that the Duchess is commanded to marry Gwynplaine. Josiana rejects Gwynplaine as a lover, but dutifully agrees to marry him.

Maybe parts of this could be incorporated into Jongleur's background, he was introduced to Ivana by Ivan as a way to humiliate her (as Barkilphedro does in the book), I believe it suits Ivan's character. His plan backfires as the Jongleur falls in love with Ivana who uses his attraction towards her to attain a loyal bodyguard who will fight to the death. I see him as being Lawful Evil his deformity was caused by burns not so much because of his real nature (supposedly the more evil a GC child is the more humanlike it looks like and vice versa).
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Joël of the FoS

Yes, with heroforge, we are sometimes stuck with templates that can't be modified.

I'l try a v2 later, more dancer and less jester! :)

It is stated in Gaz4 that Ivana doesn't have a thing with the Jongleur, FYI. It would explain why she kept him near for so long.

And for his weapon, imagine something new: a battle staff 6' long, where both ends conceal a 1 foot blade. The blades are hidden inside the staff, and there are moving pieces of the staff with two slits on each side for the blade to be revealed with a blow, and those moving wooden parts moves back after the blow with a spring mecanism. So it's a staff with two wooden blade at each end, and each blade is concealed by a piece of wood on a pivot that moves when it hits, revealing the blade. After the hit, a spring moves the wooden part back in place, to conceals the blade again.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:21 pm It is stated in Gaz4 that Ivana doesn't have a thing with the Jongleur, FYI. It would explain why she kept him near for so long.
Τhat doesn't mean he doesn't have a thing for her though.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Joël of the FoS

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:55 pm
Joël of the FoS wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:21 pm It is stated in Gaz4 that Ivana doesn't have a thing with the Jongleur, FYI. It would explain why she kept him near for so long.
Τhat doesn't mean he doesn't have a thing for her though.
Oh yes indeed!

Try #2, more dancer / entertainer, less jester.

Jongleur

Without mask, but make up in the face to hide burn scars, bostaff with hidden blades. Red hair for demonic heritage.

And I found this stat block, very god start, needs perhaps just a few demon powers :

Jongleur's stat block