Adventures to Share the Love

Discussing all things Ravenloft
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Adventures to Share the Love

Post by WolfKook »

I've recently saw a youtube video by Dan Masters a.k.a. Professor Dungeon Master on how to get players on board with a new game system (No idea why he wanted to post a video like that :wink: ), and one of the things he recommends is to make a one-shot with a scenario that highlights the strengths of the new system, and make the players fall in love with it (And motivated to continue playing it).

This advice has been ringing in my head for a couple of days, maybe changing the "system" part for "setting"... You see, I'm about to start a new Ravenloft campaign, and I want to portray the best things about the setting since the beginning, so my players feel motivated to come back; so I want to use (or adapt) an adventure that does what Ravenloft does best, and that makes them want more.

So, I wanted to ask you if you can recommend an adventure along these lines:
  • It has to be low-level (It would be the first adventure of an ongoing campaign).
  • It shouldn't requiere any previous experience with the setting.
  • It doesn't matter if it's official or unofficial.
  • I also don't care if it's D&D2e, 3e, 3.5e or 5e. It could even be another system altogether (I will have to adapt it anyway).
  • Preferrably, it should be short (1-2 sessions), or have a very strong hook.
So, any recommendations?
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Adventures to Share the Love

Post by Epically »

Can never go wrong with Ravenloft: Night of the walking dead.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Adventures to Share the Love

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Child of the House

Child of the House was designed as an introductory module for Ravenloft, written by Rucht Lilavivat. It is for first level player characters and ran in three hours (following 1 hour of character creation) if used in a con event, but I believe with more role playing encounters in the village etc it can take longer. It is the first adventure I am planning to play when I find a new group to play and I want it to take some time to explore the area and have placed some encounters around the house like a carriage stuck in the muck with a desperate woman inside that is actually a geist (victim of the evil that plagues the area) and the PCs then see her decayed body inside the carriage (I found some images and elements for the conversion in a computer mystery puzzle game similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55av9Idvvk, but it is not this one). The adventure takes place in Darkon, more specifically the hamlet of Talanka halfway between Rivalis and Martira Bay. You can later opt to have the adventurers already having spend too much time in Darkon and have false identities and backgrounds... :Brain:

https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Lib ... avivat.pdf
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe