New Ravenloft comic

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Re: New Ravenloft comic

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Blurb for ordering #4:
VIEW CONTENT:
Secrets are revealed! Miranda discovers the truth of her past and confronts her supposed guardian, Viktra. Will she have the courage to set herself free? What other memories will come flooding back to her? Will Viktra and Elise finally bury the hatchet? Or will they just bury each other?
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Glad to hear that the first issue seemed alright, Joel! If this Lamordian comic book succeeds, we might get more on other 5e Darklords, which would be nice!
Joël of the FoS

I have issue #2 in my hand (not read yet - brb).

But I think it does stop with issue #4, there is no #5 issue in the preorder catalog.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

It appears that the entire comic series will be released in a softcover book March 2023

I only wish I had retired sooner!
Joël of the FoS

And this confirms this serie will have 4 issues only (as they often do).

I hope they will start another serie after this. Even if it's a funky version of Ravenloft, still fun to read.

I just hope they do not add extra material, I hate when they do that :evil:

Joël
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I did enjoy the first issue. If we're going to have these new versions of the characters, best that we get to to know them beyond brief blurbs in the book. I will admit however to loving the "B-side" story more. Very spooky, well written and well drawn stuff about a mother trying to save her child from a sea hag.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:59 am I will admit however to loving the "B-side" story more. Very spooky, well written and well drawn stuff about a mother trying to save her child from a sea hag.
It is indeed creepy and fun to read. Same in issue #2 (set in 5e Falkovnia).

Joël
Joël of the FoS

Finished #4, and that ends the miniserie.

Fun read, it's not bad at all.

Spoiler: its finishes with to be continued... but I find nothing in the Previews comic catalog.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Finally finished these. Not bad at all. Definitely got that Hammer Horror vibe of guest stuck in mysterious manor with suspicious host.

I would have liked a little more explanation beyond
VIEW CONTENT:
surprise, you're a golem!
and
VIEW CONTENT:
surprise, looks like Elise isn't so bad!
, but I guess it was more mood based than story based. Viktra seems a bit more volatile than my conception of Victor, but maybe that's intentional to distance them from each other. The other three B-stories didn't pack the punch of the first one, but it was neat how they were linked to the main story (or at least, that's the implication I got).

Oddly, the comic does show some connections between domains, and knowledge of other domains on the part of Viktra at least. Not complaining about that, but it makes me wonder why they split the domains at all if they are going to start linking them back up. (Probably more likely a case of this particular author wanting more connection than in the official mandate and no one looking too closely at an ancillary product to stop her.)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

Interesting about the connections. What sort of connections do they make in the comic about the domains? Is it a physical connection they hint at, or more just being knowledgeable about what's out there in the mists?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nothing too major, but I'll spoiler box it just in case:
VIEW CONTENT:
Viktra mentions that Miranda's accent could be Falkovnian, and she has a book about Falkvonia in her library.
Also, the implication is that the parts Viktra used to build her golem came from the victims in the B-stories of each issue. One of those is definitely set in Falkovnia, one in Barovia, and the other two don't seem like Lamordia (if I had to guess, Mordent or Dementlieu, and... Sithicus? Or a new domain?). So Viktra must have access to cross-domain graverobbers.
Also, in the Falkovnia story, the protagonist is trying to get back to the border and out of the domain, so he clearly came from somewhere else and knows enough about domains to think he can leave again.
So it seems clear that at least some few people know enough to be able to travel from domain to domain.
Icecubez
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Icecubez »

In the #4 issue's sub-story, the character seeking the treasure says they obtained a rat from Demise.

Which is interesting cause this would be the first mention of that domain for 5e. It's not in Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Icecubez wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:28 pm In the #4 issue's sub-story, the character seeking the treasure says they obtained a rat from Demise.

Which is interesting cause this would be the first mention of that domain for 5e. It's not in Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.
Ι guess Demise's darklord is a Maedar know... :roll:
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:04 am
Icecubez wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:28 pm In the #4 issue's sub-story, the character seeking the treasure says they obtained a rat from Demise.

Ι guess Demise's darklord is a Maedar know... :roll:
Like it is in the Mistworld.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Right, I forgot that part, mainly because it was such an inconsequential name drop. There wasn't anything particularly Demise-specific about the rat that I noticed. Does the unnamed domain where this takes place not have rats at all? Was the intent that eating the rat would petrify something? But still, yeah, another point back toward "Ravenloft as unified world" and away from isolated domains. It's almost like we figured out it was better that way 25 years ago. ;)