The Markovian Survey

Discussing all things Ravenloft
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Markovian Survey

Post by KingCorn »

Mephisto, did you base the pigs behaviors (being very smart and wrecking the gardens) based on the history of the introduction of pigs to the Americas by the Spanish which saw them destablize the Caribbean, including ruining Mango farms? Cause if so, clever clever :Brain:
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

I could say I did and pretend to be :Brain: but it was Rotipher's idea. I just decided to keep it (from Rotipher's notes) and changed the nature of the Swine Queen DP.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Markovian Survey Review - Additional Thoughts
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm The Pool of Change
Well I believe this takes the monopoly of Markov's power, plus canceling Felix's condition of being de-evolved and making Markov's lackeys/personal servants not so unique. Question what if a human or any other basic PC race fell in? What would the result be a dire human, a caliban?
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm The Great Barrier Reef
I don't see why this should be in Markovia, and to tell you the truth I don't see point for a place like this in the Sea of Sorrows.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Dark Guardians
First the reason they create these monastery cells to guard evil or dangerous artifacts is because they haven't figured out a way to destroy them yet. Then I see the Brethren as a possible ally in a dangerous island or at least a place of neutrality where PC's can seek sanctuary, so I am sticking with them as they are.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm The Order of the Guardians
Well two cells are enough for a place like this. I believe the reason they chose this domain was mostly the difficulty of accessing their location on the Balinoks and it is not close to a populated area. I thought about the Gathering Cloth's return myself, but then decided to let this one go. The Guardians should be successful in something after all.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Unique Fauna
I was thinking the islands logistics, it is easier for exotic birds to migrate there than land animals.But either way lemurs are primates so they could be included in the monkey people. I definitely did include Terror Birds though (now that is exotic...)
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm The Moon Pool – Taken straight from the 1918 novel of the same name written by Abraham Merritt. This could be a secret Mistway that operates only during a full moon and can link the island to any other realm that has underground communities such as Bluetspur or Timor. Maybe both domains, depending on the phases of the moon (one destination for the full moon, another destination for the new moon).
Well I already made a mistway connected to Bluetspur like aberrations (though I did that since the Markov House exists in 4e canon as described in my article). I was never a big fan of Timor and as for Bluetspur is too outlanish in my opinion to be connected with Markovia. There has to be an explanation too why this mistway connects these domains and I don't see a link except all having aberration inhabitants (which is not enough for me).
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Infiltrators
I have included the pack led by a Wolf God zealot, as for lycanthropic Broken Ones I don't believe lycanthropy works on aberrations, it is a curse after all and BO are already suffer under a curse-like condition.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Flotsam and Jetsam – This is another pet idea of mine: creating a Gulf Stream type of mechanism for the Sea of Sorrows that subtly pulls ships and other things along its path circling the entire body of water. Tying this concept into Markovia would be as easy as having a beach where whatever you happen to need the most at the time of your visit shows up (within reason of course). It could be called Serendipity Point and could be where all the flotsam and jetsam caused by Markov's storms is collected.
Well I believe having a beach acting like Sport Billy's athletic bag of everything is too much.

Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Felix ReturnsNow he attacks both camps without rhyme or reason, stealing just for the thrill of it.
This was one of Rotipher's ideas I didn't keep (having him settled in the Guardian monastery ruins and being the leader of a raiding group of Broken Ones). I believe having him de-evolved and kind of self-exiled in the mountains was more fitting for a traitorous character like him.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm The Boritsi Trading Company
Well this is what Captain Lennard does and you have written in your reviews that you find no point for his role/existence in the island. I am a bit confused.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Dangerous Tidepools
I believe I illustrated nature's impersonal savagery with the deadly fungi and plants on the island (some hadn't been developed now they are finished and currently I am drawing the illustrations).

The funny thing is that quicksands are not lethal in actual life of drowning someone but rather of trapping a creature that later much dies from exposure, dehydration or exhaustion. Death by quicksand was always just a movie trope usually connected with a "damsel in distress" to connect sexual tension in one of Holywood's most conservative eras. That later developed into sexual fetishes to some people who grew up watching 50's quicksand films :azalin:

Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm The Bride of Markov
I see Markov more as asexual with the exception of Delphi were he has this overprotective guardian with possible sexual tendencies attitude towards her (reminiscent to early Guardianship Laws of the 19th century and sexually abused wards).
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Carrier Pigeons
The thing with pigeons is how pigeon post works...

Pigeons are effective as messengers due to their natural homing abilities. The pigeons are transported to a destination in cages, where they are attached with messages, then the pigeon naturally flies back to its home where the recipient could read the message. They have been used in many places around the world and it is nothing special as to add it in the report.

But again you need Captain Lennard to carry those pigeons there (and the good Captain never steps a foot on Dominia). On the other hand why use pigeon post when you have someone (Captain Lennard) carry your messages.
I see Lennard and Markov having a symbiotic and possibly co-dependant relationship.

PS
Dr. Dominiani on the other hand with his animal domination powers could use pigeons without needing to tranfer them from one place to the other.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Leper / Penal Colony
This idea has some good elements, since the Lamordian colony failed the Lamordians send their undesirables to Markovia (the island has to have some use to them) with Captain Lennard transporting them there and providing Dr. Markov with legally send test subjects. This could be a way for PC's who for some reason have been arrested in Lamordia to be sent to Markovia. I could even go as far as have some Falkovnian prisoners being exported (after bing bought) there since Lamordia has signed a peace agreement with Vlad Drakov.

But then again why send them so far away they still have the Isle of Agony and Demise to send them if they want to get rid of them.

PS
I prefer the French Intro Version...

"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:22 am
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm The Pool of Change
Well I believe this takes the monopoly of Markov's power, plus canceling Felix's condition of being de-evolved and making Markov's lackeys/personal servants not so unique. Question what if a human or any other basic PC race fell in? What would the result be a dire human, a caliban?
Since its effects are only apparent upon the next generation's birth if a PC fell in nothing would happen... to them. It's their children that would be born calibans! As far as Broken Ones dipping into the pool to avoid their de-evolution, you have a point. Maybe a one-and-done rule should apply here. Repeated dips could actually have the opposite of the intended effect and devolve the Broken Ones further.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm The Great Barrier Reef
I don't see why this should be in Markovia, and to tell you the truth I don't see point for a place like this in the Sea of Sorrows.
Fair enough. PCs usually avoid anything underwater anyway. I just thought it would be interesting to have a safe haven somewhere that players wouldn't expect to find it.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Dark Guardians
First the reason they create these monastery cells to guard evil or dangerous artifacts is because they haven't figured out a way to destroy them yet. Then I see the Brethren as a possible ally in a dangerous island or at least a place of neutrality where PC's can seek sanctuary, so I am sticking with them as they are.
I know the whole Guardians schtick. That's why I think it would be a more interesting twist to turn them evil.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm The Order of the Guardians
Well two cells are enough for a place like this. I believe the reason they chose this domain was mostly the difficulty of accessing their location on the Balinoks and it is not close to a populated area. I thought about the Gathering Cloth's return myself, but then decided to let this one go. The Guardians should be successful in something after all.
I don't call being turned into undead by the very thing you were trying to destroy a "success". To me, these guys are pretty ineffectual, which is why I would like to either see them go away (like I mentioned in the review above) or do something else entirely with them.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm The Moon Pool – Taken straight from the 1918 novel of the same name written by Abraham Merritt. This could be a secret Mistway that operates only during a full moon and can link the island to any other realm that has underground communities such as Bluetspur or Timor. Maybe both domains, depending on the phases of the moon (one destination for the full moon, another destination for the new moon).
Well I already made a mistway connected to Bluetspur like aberrations (though I did that since the Markov House exists in 4e canon as described in my article). I was never a big fan of Timor and as for Bluetspur is too outlanish in my opinion to be connected with Markovia. There has to be an explanation too why this mistway connects these domains and I don't see a link except all having aberration inhabitants (which is not enough for me).
Who says Mistways have to make sense? The whole point is to connect two domains to each other that it would otherwise be impossible to get to. Plus, it's a good curveball. The PCs could discover this thing, mistake it for a portal to escape Ravenloft (or just the island hellhole they're trapped on), only to find themselves in an even bleaker place. Just when they think they are out of the frying pan, they hop into the fire!
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Infiltrators
I have included the pack led by a Wolf God zealot, as for lycanthropic Broken Ones I don't believe lycanthropy works on aberrations, it is a curse after all and BO are already suffer under a curse-like condition.
I never said anything about trying to infect Broken Ones with lycanthropy. That prompt was more about developing the relationships - both good and bad - between the two.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Flotsam and Jetsam – This is another pet idea of mine: creating a Gulf Stream type of mechanism for the Sea of Sorrows that subtly pulls ships and other things along its path circling the entire body of water. Tying this concept into Markovia would be as easy as having a beach where whatever you happen to need the most at the time of your visit shows up (within reason of course). It could be called Serendipity Point and could be where all the flotsam and jetsam caused by Markov's storms is collected.
Well I believe having a beach acting like Sport Billy's athletic bag of everything is too much.
I did say within reason, didn't I :D ? I was thinking more along the lines of canned goods, clothing, or tools... Basically, anything you could find in a ship's hold. I think sometimes we load up domains with so much bad stuff we forget to include the lighter side of things.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm The Boritsi Trading Company
Well this is what Captain Lennard does and you have written in your reviews that you find no point for his role/existence in the island. I am a bit confused.
The difference here lies in degrees.

I think making a Darklord dependent on some rando for access to the wider world takes away from their menace. With Captain Gaertner you have a ruthless pirate that scuttles any other ship that dares approach the island. So, in effect, you are forcing PCs to use this very sketchy guy and thus making the domain harder to reach. Then, you make him a killer sea-wolf so even if the PCs survive whatever Markov throws at them they have that extra hurdle to contend with in order to make it out alive. So, now you've made Markovia an inescapable deathtrap. What PC in their right mind would want to put themselves thru that?

My idea, on the other hand, lets Markov dictate the terms of the exchange and control the extent of colonization of the island. Also, with so many ships coming and going it presents plenty of opportunities for PCs to sail to the island and - get this - actually survive long enough to make it to land instead of automatically encountering deadly pirates or the even deadlier Soul Kraken!
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Dangerous Tidepools
I believe I illustrated nature's impersonal savagery with the deadly fungi and plants on the island (some hadn't been developed now they are finished and currently I am drawing the illustrations).

The funny thing is that quicksands are not lethal in actual life of drowning someone but rather of trapping a creature that later much dies from exposure, dehydration or exhaustion. Death by quicksand was always just a movie trope usually connected with a "damsel in distress" to connect sexual tension in one of Holywood's most conservative eras. That later developed into sexual fetishes to some people who grew up watching 50's quicksand films :azalin:
I know this as well. But we are not talking IRL here, this is a fantasy horror game. And what is a tropical island adventure good for if not to throw all the jungle / castaway tropes you can think of at the PCs?
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm The Bride of Markov
I see Markov more as asexual with the exception of Delphi were he has this overprotective guardian with possible sexual tendencies attitude towards her (reminiscent to early Guardianship Laws of the 19th century and sexually abused wards).
Fair enough.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm Carrier Pigeons
The thing with pigeons is how pigeon post works...

Pigeons are effective as messengers due to their natural homing abilities. The pigeons are transported to a destination in cages, where they are attached with messages, then the pigeon naturally flies back to its home where the recipient could read the message. They have been used in many places around the world and it is nothing special as to add it in the report.

But again you need Captain Lennard to carry those pigeons there (and the good Captain never steps a foot on Dominia). On the other hand why use pigeon post when you have someone (Captain Lennard) carry your messages.
I see Lennard and Markov having a symbiotic and possibly co-dependant relationship.
Again, we're not talking IRL here. You had said previously that Markov wanted to communicate with the outside world. Well, I thought these two would have rather interesting exchanges considering they are both "doctors" with domains within the Sea of Sorrows with one focusing on experiments with the mind and one focusing on experiments with the body.
Last edited by Jeremy16 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

I do like the idea of Markov turning his more impressive/artist guests into Broken-Ones once he bores of them or they begin to sense something is wrong. Markov's estate almost becomes this unsettling display of fancy artists and aristocrats who are just slightly...off (after all, Markov won't surround himself with his 'failures' so he's only gonna keep the civilized in the estate). Everybody looks weird, ugly, something wrong about them yet they play it off like their god's gift to earth for their looks.

Meanwhile, some of them seem familiar. That fellow with the multicolored hair and weird arms, you could of swarm he was the spitting image of a Dementliu artist that went missing some years ago. Another looks like a missing engineer, ect. Slowly, it all comes together just who these weird creatures are, and what might be going on the estate.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

This was mentioned during another thread on a Markov one-shot, but what about the ideas of the pig broken-ones being an analoge for orcs in the setting. Even if in just small things (details here and their), they could be a good callback to the original orcs, back when they where just pig-men.

I know in that Stranded In the Mists thread someone had a half-orc monk on the island.