Fan-Materials & Appreciation

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Fan-Materials & Appreciation

Post by Speedwagon »

The title's most likely pretty garbage, but this thread is a simple one: I wanted to give some appreciation and shout-outs to the fan materials and resources made by the Ravenloft fans of the internet (with a significant chunk clustered here) whose work I've either had the chance to use or just really enjoyed. This isn't really fully related to just Quoth the Raven or the Books of S, as I also wanted to give a few shout outs to material I've bought on DMsGuild or saw on other places like r/ravenloft or the Midway Haven website. So feel free to use this thread to give some love and appreciation for those sorts of things! I had originally planned this for Valentine's Day but I'm slow so :P
I'll start!
  • I've extensively used Jester's 5MWD products on DMsGuild, from the Children of the Night, Allies Against the Night and Heroes of the Mists books/pdfs as well as his product on traps (one of which, I believe the blinding one, I used recently for a party's dungeon crawl in Har'Akir). And that's not mentioning his biggest product, the Who's Doomed which I've used as well to stat out the Darklords of both 2e/3e and of 5e. I was introduced to the campaign setting through VRGTR so these resources have been great in adapting the older mechanics of Realm of Terror and Domains of Dread into 5e, which I struggled with when I first managed to acquire those older books through DMsGuild. If Jester's ever looking to make another product like those, I'll be more than happy to be first in line online to get it!
  • On the topic of DMsGuild, I very much appreciate Dion Fernandez's Worlds of Ravenloft, with his recent releases of Taejang, Ixcapa, and Charity Cove. While I know Ixcapa was in a prior netbook of his (I believe either Worlds of Ravenloft, Navigaccio, or Nebula Obscura, I can't fully recall) and I loved it as much in there as I did in Dion's 5e version of the product, I still appreciate seeing them for sale on DMsGuild and adding them to my collection. It's good to see some diversity in the Mists and I really like how Dion has gone about it. Like with Jester, if there's a new product for sale, I'll definitely be one of the buyers!
  • Rock's Wartorn Cluster articles have been a fun web of dread possibilities and intrigue every time I see them, especially whenever there are inklings of information regarding his new domains that he has a knack for making as interesting as possible or for his overall metaplot. It's always a joy to look through a QtR's table of contents and see another piece of the Wartorn Cluster, knowing that I'll have to reserve a dimly lit night alone in my room with some good mood music to really enjoy it!
  • On the topic of homebrew interpretations of the Misty Realm, I'd be remiss to mention the Mistworld of Mistmaster. One of my Ravenloft games, as an experiment, has been an attempt to make my own version of the Mistworld, by taking as many canon, netbook canon and homebrew noncanon domains as possible and putting them all in one big Core, with equally large Clusters and Islands. Mistmaster's write-ups of NPCs and general important geographic or sociological information has been a godsend in this endeavor, and I've also really like his new additions to the Core in the form of Espinada, Lazendrak, Zeindost and other new re-interpretations of pre-existing locale like Borca and Dementlieu (the idea of D'Honaire, Ray, and the Brain having known each other is a fun one that I'm planning to use when my players make it to Dementlieu)!
There are more fan materials that I've used but I didn't want to clog the thread with just things I liked, so feel free to put down some love and appreciation below!
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Fan-Materials & Appreciation

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

:oops: Aww... Thanks, Speedwagon. :)
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Speedwagon wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:30 pm The title's most likely pretty garbage, but this thread is a simple one: I wanted to give some appreciation and shout-outs to the fan materials and resources made by the Ravenloft fans of the internet (with a significant chunk clustered here) whose work I've either had the chance to use or just really enjoyed. This isn't really fully related to just Quoth the Raven or the Books of S, as I also wanted to give a few shout outs to material I've bought on DMsGuild or saw on other places like r/ravenloft or the Midway Haven website. So feel free to use this thread to give some love and appreciation for those sorts of things! I had originally planned this for Valentine's Day but I'm slow so :P
I'll start!
  • I've extensively used Jester's 5MWD products on DMsGuild, from the Children of the Night, Allies Against the Night and Heroes of the Mists books/pdfs as well as his product on traps (one of which, I believe the blinding one, I used recently for a party's dungeon crawl in Har'Akir). And that's not mentioning his biggest product, the Who's Doomed which I've used as well to stat out the Darklords of both 2e/3e and of 5e. I was introduced to the campaign setting through VRGTR so these resources have been great in adapting the older mechanics of Realm of Terror and Domains of Dread into 5e, which I struggled with when I first managed to acquire those older books through DMsGuild. If Jester's ever looking to make another product like those, I'll be more than happy to be first in line online to get it!
  • On the topic of DMsGuild, I very much appreciate Dion Fernandez's Worlds of Ravenloft, with his recent releases of Taejang, Ixcapa, and Charity Cove. While I know Ixcapa was in a prior netbook of his (I believe either Worlds of Ravenloft, Navigaccio, or Nebula Obscura, I can't fully recall) and I loved it as much in there as I did in Dion's 5e version of the product, I still appreciate seeing them for sale on DMsGuild and adding them to my collection. It's good to see some diversity in the Mists and I really like how Dion has gone about it. Like with Jester, if there's a new product for sale, I'll definitely be one of the buyers!
  • Rock's Wartorn Cluster articles have been a fun web of dread possibilities and intrigue every time I see them, especially whenever there are inklings of information regarding his new domains that he has a knack for making as interesting as possible or for his overall metaplot. It's always a joy to look through a QtR's table of contents and see another piece of the Wartorn Cluster, knowing that I'll have to reserve a dimly lit night alone in my room with some good mood music to really enjoy it!
  • On the topic of homebrew interpretations of the Misty Realm, I'd be remiss to mention the Mistworld of Mistmaster. One of my Ravenloft games, as an experiment, has been an attempt to make my own version of the Mistworld, by taking as many canon, netbook canon and homebrew noncanon domains as possible and putting them all in one big Core, with equally large Clusters and Islands. Mistmaster's write-ups of NPCs and general important geographic or sociological information has been a godsend in this endeavor, and I've also really like his new additions to the Core in the form of Espinada, Lazendrak, Zeindost and other new re-interpretations of pre-existing locale like Borca and Dementlieu (the idea of D'Honaire, Ray, and the Brain having known each other is a fun one that I'm planning to use when my players make it to Dementlieu)!
There are more fan materials that I've used but I didn't want to clog the thread with just things I liked, so feel free to put down some love and appreciation below!
Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you liked my works.
Last edited by Mistmaster on Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Somebody sound the SPAM alert!
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D