Hygiene and fashion (Richemulot / Dementlieu), food for thought

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Hygiene and fashion (Richemulot / Dementlieu), food for thought

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

The modern London sewer system was developed during the late 19th century. During the early 19th century the River Thames was an open sewer, with disastrous consequences for public health in London, including cholera epidemics.

These were caused by enterotoxin-producing strains of the bacterium Vibrio cholerae. Although the contamination of the water supply was correctly diagnosed by Dr John Snow in 1849 as the method of communication, up to the outbreak of 1866 it was believed that miasma, or bad air, was responsible.

Proposals to modernise the sewerage system had been made in the early 1700s but the costs of such a project deterred progress. Further proposals followed in 1856, but were again neglected due to the costs. However, after the Great Stink :lol: of 1858, Parliament realised the urgency of the problem and resolved to create a modern sewerage system.

"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

I suppose the big thing to remember is that just because Europeans were skeptical of bathing doesn’t mean everyone was. Indeed part of the reason Europeans weren’t into it was because they knew non-Christian groups that bathed regularly and didn’t want to imitate them or raise suspicion that they secretly weren’t Christian. Strictly observant Jews have to ritually bathe periodically either in natural bodies of salt water or a bath known as a mikveh if I remember correctly. Observant Muslims must clean their face, hands, and feet prior to prayer or entering a mosque, and if you clean your face and hands you’ve gone a long ways towards limiting your exposure to a lot of germs even if you wash nothing else. These practices go back a very long time.

Similarly, a Renaissance level society is perfectly capable of inventing a microscope and seeing living things down at such a size. Just because no one made the connection in our world for a few hundred years doesn’t mean it wouldn’t happen sooner in another time or another place.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Pizza wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:00 pm
Similarly, a Renaissance level society is perfectly capable of inventing a microscope and seeing living things down at such a size. Just because no one made the connection in our world for a few hundred years doesn’t mean it wouldn’t happen sooner in another time or another place.
I don't think that's true. The optics and the ability to create lenses good enough for such a microscope was not easy.
That said... Ravenloft is a fantasy world, even if it is low magic. Someone using a spell or magic item to do that is not out of the question.

As for the cultures different than Europeans... Europeans were a laaarge and diverge group. Also, I tried to play "gritty and smelly" medieval fantasy a couple of times but it got in the way of enjoyment. We don't play the game as a history lesson. While spreading diseases etc is decent, having to describe how a family of 7 shares a single room and has a chamber pot in the end of the room is... bleah.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!