How big is Forlorn

Discussing all things Ravenloft
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: How big is Forlorn

Post by brilliantlight »

alhoon wrote:I simply make the world larger. Differences between CR6-9 are not a problem for me and I explain it with isolationism. I.e. villagers in Barovia have not heard of gunpowder and the guys in towns don't know how to produce it.

That is how I do it, my core is the size of the US. That way it makes sense to have so many terrain types, enough prey animals etc. My RL is a pretty subtle in some places. You could drop the average Romanian Peasant in Bavoria and he would see few changes.

Sure, there are rumors of werewolves and vampires but very few have actually seen any. If he believed in them before than he feel vindicated, if he didn't he still just sees them as rumors unless he runs into one.

A French city dweller would see few changes in Richemulot. The wererats are hidden and denied by most of the inhabitants. My version of Herself is very much into "Maintaining the Masquerade" as is almost every other wererat in the domain, they don't want to scare away the prey.

That is only true in some places. A peasant dropped in Forlorn will notice the differences quickly due to the goblyns. Ghosts are an everyday thing in Mordent. Easan the Mad's domain is basically the Twilight Zone.

In short how much RL differs from the real world varies from place to place .Some appear very much like the real world, some are really weird.
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

The CL doesn’t bother me much. Technology diffuses, but it can diffuse surprisingly slowly outside of whatever passes for a major city. At the same time when you look at DnD settings where it is explicitly stated the gods can negate the functioning of technology they don’t want at will, is it any surprise the Dark Powers might be capable of doing the same?

The size versus population seems weird to me so smaller size works better for the tiny populations. A society with agriculture can place a surprising number of people in a small area especially if it has a town or city there too so when you see supposedly “well populated” domains with four digit total populations it seems a bit odd. Yes it makes the fauna numbers be all out of whack, but DnD in general has wildly too many apex predators.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Pizza wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:03 pm The size versus population seems weird to me so smaller size works better for the tiny populations. A society with agriculture can place a surprising number of people in a small area especially if it has a town or city there too so when you see supposedly “well populated” domains with four digit total populations it seems a bit odd. Yes it makes the fauna numbers be all out of whack, but DnD in general has wildly too many apex predators.
If the discussion is still about Forlorn, don't forget that goblyns don't need to eat or sleep to survive, the magic that created them maintains them.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Oh right! I have forgot about that. The problem with all the other predators still remains though.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I recall there are wolves in Forlorn, but they're at Tristen's command. They may kill more than they eat.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:29 am I recall there are wolves in Forlorn, but they're at Tristen's command. They may kill more than they eat.
And zombie wolves, but they don't eat.
Well apex predators like treants and other plants can always eat a goblyn or two, then the other predators are worg wolves and normal wolves which can always eat animals
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe