WH40K is a massive island of terror

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

WH40K is a massive island of terror

Post by Pizza »

WH40K is just a massive island of terror with the Emperor as the Dark Lord right?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: WH40K is a massive island of terror

Post by alhoon »

Strongly disagree. Peaches and oranges.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

40K is a tabletop war game. Forget the over-the-top sci-fi aesthetic and just focus on that fact. War isn't gothic; it's horrific but it's not gothic.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

High Priest Mikhal wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:42 pm 40K is a tabletop war game. Forget the over-the-top sci-fi aesthetic and just focus on that fact. War isn't gothic; it's horrific but it's not gothic.
I mean, I agree with you that it’s a tabletop war game with an over the top sci-fi aesthetic, but war isn’t gothic? Drakov? Falkovnia?
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

High Priest Mikhal wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:42 pm 40K is a tabletop war game. Forget the over-the-top sci-fi aesthetic and just focus on that fact. War isn't gothic; it's horrific but it's not gothic.
I’m not talking about the game. I’m talking about the setting and lore of the game.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Everything can be gothic.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mistmaster wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:25 pm
Strongly disagree.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

A matter of opinion. We can agree we disagree.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

I doubt you could turn W40K's lore into anything gothic. Unless you mean as a template. In that regard the Empire of Man is already kind-of there in Ravenloft. It's called Falkovnia.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I would say those two states have the same inspirations... but they don't seem to. Unless I remember wrong, as my lore in WH is very rusty, the Empire of Man is fiercely imperialistic. I.e. it reminds me much more of the British Empire in the 19th century than Nazi Germany.
My DMGuild work!
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

High Priest Mikhal wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:15 pm
I doubt you could turn W40K's lore into anything gothic. Unless you mean as a template. In that regard the Empire of Man is already kind-of there in Ravenloft. It's called Falkovnia.
The Emperor of Man is Ghandi beside Drakov, and even the Inquisition are saints beside Talons. The Template is a vast nation whose venerate its leader whose ideals have been betrayed by the successors. The God Emperor is basichally Lenin, mummified and given sort of worship by Stalin who betrayed all of his ideology..
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

alhoon wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:59 am I would say those two states have the same inspirations... but they don't seem to. Unless I remember wrong, as my lore in WH is very rusty, the Empire of Man is fiercely imperialistic. I.e. it reminds me much more of the British Empire in the 19th century than Nazi Germany.
So it is sort of weird. Around 30k the Emperor had a crusade to wipe out most of the alien races, although some of the bigger ones such as the Eldar and Orcs, he negotiated treaties with and let them have a tiny little corner of the Galaxy. Then you know there was the Horus Heresy where the Emperor was mostly killed, and he’s spent the last few thousand years being a desiccated corpse with a psychic lighthouse emanating from him. Now the population of the Empire worships him (probably not what the atheist emperor would have wanted), there’s 10000 psychics sacrificed to him each day, and they’re still trying to wipe out most of the aliens. It isn’t really like any human civilization in the past though there are elements of this or that one here and there. Anyways humanity is further away from the Golden Age of galactic domination the emperor envisioned than it was when he was alive, and his death has probably been indefinitely postponed which is an exceptional shame as there’s a strong chance he would regenerate or be reborn if he could just be allowed to die once and for all.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I still get major Great Britain vibes...
My DMGuild work!