PC stats for Howling One Calibans?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

PC stats for Howling One Calibans?

Post by Hell_Born »

In the Ravenloft Gazetteer #3, the entry on Mordent's local population mentions that there is a very distinct strain or subrace of calibans endemic to the domain. Locally known as "Howling Ones" or "Wailing Ones", signature characteristics include pitch black eyes, chalk-white skin and hair, wiry yet strong builds, and distorted mouths. No mechanics are given for Wailing Ones, leaving them as just a cosmetic reskin of calibans.

But... Quoth the Raven #8 featured an article titled "Brutes & Banshees", which introduces a new set of racial mechanics for Calibans (far superior to the "official" cosmetic reskin of half-orcs, in my opinion), which centers on using an array of magic-imbued physical deformities to give each caliban a distinct set of mechanical traits, both positive and negative - rather like the infamous expanded rules for tieflings in 2nd edition. This article covers five homebrewed caliban strains; the Brute (closest to the official caliban), the Banshee, the Bestial, the Cannibal, and the Witchspawn. But it also includes rules for "generic" calibans as well.

What I'm interested in is this: in folks' opinions, how would you go about creating a Howling One caliban strain using the mechanics from Brutes & Banshees? What deformities from the list there would you use to make up the signature mutations of a Howling One? Do you think that maybe some homebrewed mutations might be in order, such as a signature "soul-rending shriek" type mutation?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: PC stats for Howling One Calibans?

Post by alhoon »

I would treat them as hagspawn and tie them to hags in the swamps of Mordent.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: PC stats for Howling One Calibans?

Post by Speedwagon »

Perhaps, alongside a "soul-rending shriek", the Howling Ones can be made to be a mix of Witchspawn (somewhat related to what alhoon was saying) and the Banshee strain of caliban? Aside from the "soul-rending shriek", I'd think that there would be some affinity for the Near Ethereal plane, allowing such calibans to see the ghosts that haunt Mordent (which might not be the best for their psyche but could give them advantage on history checks or persuasion checks when speaking to ghosts)?

In terms of more specific mutations, I think that Gaunt, Pale, Skulk, Eyes of Darkness, and Voice of the Many should be useful fits. It certainly makes the Howling Ones feel like ghosts, which probably would spook the rather isolated Mordentish!