Falk-fury rages on!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Falk-fury rages on!

Post by Manofevil »

I believe the following cartoon offers an excellent illustration of the difference in attitudes between NPCs and PCs in Falkovnia.
Last edited by Manofevil on Fri May 10, 2024 1:20 am, edited 8 times in total.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

good one
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Mistmaster wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:23 pm I prefer Falkovnia being about the horror of militarism, and having more hopespots.
The "hopespot" in my mind's view of Falkovnia (wherein also lies a good portion of abject horror) lies in the Freemen of Falkovnia, or, a Ravenloftian version of the Special Operations Executive.

It's a stumble (asking gets you blacklisted) into the deepest and darkest of places to be found in disease-ridden and body-beaten Falkovnia, but if one has the right combination of skills and luck (training may vary, depending on what's currently on the groups' table) then it can also lead to the cleanest and brightest of places, even if only momentarily. A tear of joy here, and quiet smile there. There is a lot of work that needs to be done and Gondegal (a warmongering taskmaster, not unlike Drakov, but with a different outcome in mind) needs people in other places and quick. Now go change your clothes and head to these coordinates to meet "Whisperain" for the next mission's details. Oh, hey. Good job mate. Seriously. Keep it up. We're one step closer. Now go.

In short, I don't neccessarily disagree with you. Maybe on the amount of torque put on the players, but as Speedwagon summed, it really all depends on the wants of the table, and who is DMing. My views here are only valid when I'm behind the themes, and depends on what my creative brain wants to currently explore, which can lead to two different versions of a single domain in two days. Campaigns in play being the only "lockdown".
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"