Real life cultures and Domains

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Shoon VII wrote:
jamesravenwing wrote:
Pile on top of that the fact that the Mulan culture is about as far as you can get from Afrikaaner culture and you can see that South Africa is not the best description.
i dont think the comparison was meant literally, but conceptually (small ethnic minority dominating a larger majority).
Pretty much, yeah. I'm not saying that the Afrikaaner comparison is on par with, say, Sri Raji and India, just that I thought someone may have taken the very basic idea and ran with it to create something completely different.
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

After reading Clan Cappadocian, I guess Hazlan=Cappadocian Region :)
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:After reading Clan Cappadocian, I guess Hazlan=Cappadocian Region :)
Cappadocia, as in, the region in Turkey?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

I wonder if it's fair to include Sithicus, Darkon, and Hazlan in this discussion as they are all based on other gaming worlds. Strip away the Ravenloft influences and you're still left with DragonLance, Greyhawk, and Forgotten Realms influences respectively. Any real world influences may have been added since the mists rose. :?
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Yeah, it's all retroactive and ret-conning but since you can't reference the other worlds they might as well be from there for all the difference it makes.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

If anyone is interested, Valachani culture was originally based on the Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest, then I added in generalised colonial behaviour (informed especially by Australia and Peru) and then cobbled on whatever canon stuff I could find. The language is Norwegian based, but the culture has nothing to do with that.

I generally work 'informed by' a particular culture, but not slavishly devoted to portraying it, and I think most of the other (recent) authors do the same. Which is why trying to pin down exactly which culture created which domains is doomed to failure - often 3 or 4 cultures and a dose of imagination and error go into each one.

Just on the point of view of languages:

The word 'Blaustein' is German (as is a ridiculous number of words in RL), but Bluebeard as already stated is based on a French legend. And, there are more unrelated languages in RL based off mostly European legends than there are unrelated European languages, so eventually to preserve the illusion you're going to see domains with German placenames and made up or Navajo or whatever language primers.
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

Manofevil wrote:I wonder if it's fair to include Sithicus, Darkon, and Hazlan in this discussion as they are all based on other gaming worlds. Strip away the Ravenloft influences and you're still left with DragonLance, Greyhawk, and Forgotten Realms influences respectively. Any real world influences may have been added since the mists rose. :?
Indeed.

Reading through the relevant sections of the FR tome Unapproachable East is enough to ensure such thinking.
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Ryan Naylor wrote:If anyone is interested, Valachani culture was originally based on the Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest, then I added in generalised colonial behaviour (informed especially by Australia and Peru) and then cobbled on whatever canon stuff I could find. The language is Norwegian based, but the culture has nothing to do with that.
Haida or Tlinglit?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

I have no idea - it wasn't my idea, and I just built on what was established.
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

The Nightmare Man wrote:Reading through the relevant sections of the FR tome Unapproachable East is enough to ensure such thinking.
does this make this book worth getting for ways in which to use Hazlan?
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Ryan Naylor wrote:I have no idea - it wasn't my idea, and I just built on what was established.
Um, in my own defense, I did do a little research in the North Western cultures. I don't mean to sound as unprofessional as I do.
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Don't worry, the lynch mob forgives you.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?